Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Ugadi, Yugadi, Gudi Padwa...

5 posters

Go down

Happy Ugadi, Yugadi, Gudi Padwa... Empty Happy Ugadi, Yugadi, Gudi Padwa...

Post by Guest Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:27 am

.....Cheti Chand, Navreh, Sajibu Nongma Panba. Welcome to the Manmadha naama samvatsaram. Nootana Samvatsara Subhakankshalu!

Ugadi=Telugu
Yugadi=Kannada
Gudi Padwa= Maharashtrian
Cheti Chand=Sindhi
Navreh=Kashmiri
Sajibu Nongma Pamba=Manipuri

Back to top Go down

Happy Ugadi, Yugadi, Gudi Padwa... Empty Re: Happy Ugadi, Yugadi, Gudi Padwa...

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:06 am

Happy Ugadi / Yugadi.

Does it coincide with the beginning of the Bikrami calendar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikram_Samvat  .... Bikrami year 2072)?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:36 am

Satavahana calendar!!!!

Even Iran follows the same. They call it "nowruz". You can see the similarity with Sanskrit in the meaning (now ruz = new day). The celebration is similar to what we do in India. Saudis think that Iranians are semi-kafirs because they still follow the pre-islamic calendar.

Happy Yuga aadi.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:52 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Satavahana calendar!!!!

Even Iran follows the same. They call it "nowruz". Saudis think that Iranians are semi-kafirs because they still follow the pre-islamic calendar.

Happy Yuga aadi.

Happy Yuga aadi.

I am not surprised about the Iranian "now-ruz" being literally quite similar to the new day / year in Sanskrit / Hindi. Incidentally, there are many words in use currently in Farsi (Persian / Iranian) which seem to have Sanskrit links originally.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks for the info, VP. I learned later on FB too that it's the Parsi new year 'nowruz' (kashmiri's is navreh). 

Seva, i guess you (so do most indians) understood my telugu greeting in the OP. Thanks to Sanskrit! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:45 am

An Iranian friend of mine gives us sweets, pistachios, etc., on his new year's day. So I know. Interestingly, their sweets and customs are also quite similar to ours. The way they show happiness and anger (tala tikka) are also similar.

Kashmiris are strange. They don't need to go to Iran to find a name for an Indian festival.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:An Iranian friend of mine gives us sweets, pistachios, etc., on his new year's day. So I know.  Interestingly, their sweets and customs are also quite similar to ours. The way they show happiness and anger (tala tikka) are also similar.

Kashmiris are strange. They don't need to go to Iran to find a name for an Indian festival.

do iranians say "gharibi hatao lol" when they are bristling with anger?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:35 pm

swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:An Iranian friend of mine gives us sweets, pistachios, etc., on his new year's day. So I know.  Interestingly, their sweets and customs are also quite similar to ours. The way they show happiness and anger (tala tikka) are also similar.

do iranians say "gharibi hatao lol" when they are bristling with anger?
Were the Iranians ruled by the Nehru dynasty too, pronouncing the above slogan, for decades?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:42 pm

Kinnera wrote:.....Cheti Chand, Navreh, Sajibu Nongma Panba. Welcome to the Manmadha naama samvatsaram. Nootana Samvatsara Subhakankshalu!

Ugadi=Telugu
Yugadi=Kannada
Cheti Chand=Sindhi
Navreh=Kashmiri
>>>Happy spring to you too Kinnera.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:42 pm

Vakavaka garu, hope you had ugadi pachadi. Enjoy Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:44 pm

Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:.....Cheti Chand, Navreh, Sajibu Nongma Panba. Welcome to the Manmadha naama samvatsaram. Nootana Samvatsara Subhakankshalu!

Ugadi=Telugu
Yugadi=Kannada
Cheti Chand=Sindhi
Navreh=Kashmiri
Thanks Kris. Happy spring to you too in your beautiful sunny CA Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:

Ugadi=Telugu
Yugadi=Kannada
Cheti Chand=Sindhi
Navreh=Kashmiri
>>>I hope you outgrow your rebellious phase this year and see your mother's wisdom Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:

Ugadi=Telugu
Yugadi=Kannada
Cheti Chand=Sindhi
Navreh=Kashmiri
>>>I hope you outgrow your rebellious phase this year and see your mother's wisdom Smile
Nah...I am a hippie at heart and will always be (but conservative when it comes to me to act the hippie way. My mom has her control over me there subconsciously Crying or Very sad )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:

Ugadi=Telugu
Yugadi=Kannada
Cheti Chand=Sindhi
Navreh=Kashmiri
Nah...I am a hippie at heart and will always be (but conservative when it comes to me to act the hippie way. My mom has her control over me there subconsciously Crying or Very sad )
That said, I am contemplating on having a tattoo on my upper arm this year. I expressed the wish when mom was here and she balked at the idea. I may go in for it anyway.

Most probably this one. The lines are going to be thinner though. It's going to be a cute little one. 

Happy Ugadi, Yugadi, Gudi Padwa... Ohm_Ganesh_Tattoo_Design_by_rubbersoulennon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 am

Happy Ugadi, Yugadi, Gudi Padwa... Ohm_Ganesh_Tattoo_Design_by_rubbersoulennon

There are many theories / ideas on the origins of the number "108" which is considered as holy / sacred in many religions.

One of the ideas which I had mentioned in a blog of mine a while back was that the sacred number "108" might be the numerical representation (as 1,0,Cool for the letters / sounds in the holy word OM or AUM (a,u,m, respectively), mostly as a result of script-related similarities between the letters “a”, “u”, “m” and the numbers “1”, “0”, “8”, respectively, in some ancient language (perhaps lost now).

In addition, I had indicated in my blog that the holy word “OM” or “AUM” could itself have originated as a pictorial representation of god Ganesha, the original elephant-headed form of the Lord in the beginning (worshiped first even today in Hindu Pujas, perhaps because of its origins very-very long ago).

In other words, the holy word "AUM" ("OM") and the sacred number "108" both might have had their origins from god Ganesha (the Lord in the beginning).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:27 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Happy Ugadi, Yugadi, Gudi Padwa... Ohm_Ganesh_Tattoo_Design_by_rubbersoulennon

There are many theories / ideas on the origins of the number "108" which is considered as holy / sacred in many religions.

One of the ideas which I had mentioned in a blog of mine a while back was that the sacred number "108" might be the numerical representation (as 1,0,Cool for the letters / sounds in the holy word OM or AUM (a,u,m, respectively), mostly as a result of script-related similarities between the letters “a”, “u”, “m” and the numbers “1”, “0”, “8”, respectively, in some ancient language (perhaps lost now).

In addition, I had indicated in my blog that the holy word “OM” or “AUM” could itself have originated as a pictorial representation of god Ganesha, the original elephant-headed form of the Lord in the beginning (worshiped first even today in Hindu Pujas, perhaps because of its origins very-very long ago).

In other words, the holy word "AUM" ("OM") and the sacred number "108" both might have had their origins from god Ganesha (the Lord in the beginning).
Thanks Seva. I chose this design because it represents the primordial sound, 'AUM', Lord Ganesha, Lord Shiva (the three horizontal lines) and the ear in the shape of Shankam (conch) representing lord Vishnu.
It's a mannath for me which reminds me of an important event in my/son's life. I showed it to my husband y'day. He liked it too. Will go for it soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down