Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Ugadi/Yugadi/Gudi Padwa

3 posters

Go down

Happy Ugadi/Yugadi/Gudi Padwa Empty Happy Ugadi/Yugadi/Gudi Padwa

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:29 pm

It's 'Durmukha' nama samvatsaram. The name of the year is Ugly face. There are sixty names for the years and each name is repeated once every 60 yrs. 

Anyway, the significant thing about Ugadi is 'Ugadi Pacchadi'. It's a chutney made with six tastes (tastes yummy). 

"The special mixture consists of all flavours which tongue can perceive, could also mean each flavour stands for some feeling or emotion which is natural in life :

• Neem Buds/Flowers for its bitterness, signifying sadness

• Jaggery for sweetness, signifying happiness

• Green Chilli/Pepper for its hot taste, signifying anger

• Salt for saltiness, signifying fear

• Tamarind Juice for its sourness, signifying disgust

• Unripened Mango for its tang, signifying surprise".......wiki

The message is, whatever life has to offer in the coming year, take it with equanimity. 

Happy Ugadi again!! Smile

Back to top Go down

Happy Ugadi/Yugadi/Gudi Padwa Empty Re: Happy Ugadi/Yugadi/Gudi Padwa

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:38 pm

happy gudi padwa!

20 years ago today (gudi padwa), my engagement with xh was formalized. XH had just got admitted into a school here, and was to come here for fall semester. So now, internally everyone had talked, it was just a matter of parents formally speak with each other about us. Dad said, 'I will wish him on gudi padwa, and invite them for lunch. if he agrees, all will be good'. I got scared. Dad had this weird knack of predicting things beforehand based on certain conditions and people's reactions. So anyway, he called and invited them. XH's dad declined that invitation. Said lunch will be too much of a commitment/work for my parents. Instead let's meet in the evening and talk it over. Ok? Made sense. We thought he was being reasonable. So they came over. We discussed everything. Decided we will NOT have a formal engagement, but a timeline was discussed, and followed. Got caught up in a whirlwind of activities after that. My final year. Him leaving. I began getting invited by his family and friends for every event... all seemed good and happening...

Sometimes i still think of that day. Dad was indeed correct.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:47 pm

that was nice of your FIL

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Kinnera wrote:It's 'Durmukha' nama samvatsaram. The name of the year is Ugly face. There are sixty names for the years and each name is repeated once every 60 yrs. 

Anyway, the significant thing about Ugadi is 'Ugadi Pacchadi'. It's a chutney made with six tastes (tastes yummy). 

"The special mixture consists of all flavours which tongue can perceive, could also mean each flavour stands for some feeling or emotion which is natural in life :

• Jaggery for sweetness, signifying happiness

• Green Chilli/Pepper for its hot taste, signifying anger

• Salt for saltiness, signifying fear

• Tamarind Juice for its sourness, signifying disgust

• Unripened Mango for its tang, signifying surprise".......wiki

The message is, whatever life has to offer in the coming year, take it with equanimity. 

Happy Ugadi again!! Smile

It's 'Durmukha' nama samvatsaram. The name of the year is Ugly face. 

>>>Okay, there is no need to get personal now.

could also mean each flavour stands for some feeling or emotion which is natural in life :

>>>Or more to the point pollen allergies

>>>>Sure. I will not be elated when I win the power ball.

Happy Ugadi again!! Smile

>>>You too!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:42 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:

1) 20 years ago today (gudi padwa), my engagement with xh was formalized. X

2)Decided we will NOT have a formal engagement, but a timeline was discussed, and followed. Got caught up in a whirlwind of activities after that. My final year. Him leaving. I began getting invited by his family and friends for every event... all seemed good and happening...

1) ..and Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play. Happening year looks like. Smile

2) So you never got engaged? No wonder Ramesh has been stalking you.. he is still holding out hope. 

Happy "Goodies" Padwa...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:55 pm

Kris wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:

1) 20 years ago today (gudi padwa), my engagement with xh was formalized. X

2)Decided we will NOT have a formal engagement, but a timeline was discussed, and followed. Got caught up in a whirlwind of activities after that. My final year. Him leaving. I began getting invited by his family and friends for every event... all seemed good and happening...

1) ..and Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play. Happening year looks like. Smile

2) So you never got engaged? No wonder Ramesh has been stalking you.. he is still holding out hope. 

Happy "Goodies" Padwa...

haha we did get engaged, one day before the wedding, in typical hindu (or is it NI?) style. hgp to you too. I think it's tomorrow (8th). Hopefully a new day begins tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Ugadi or Gudi Padva, the people of Maharashtra, Andhra (and Telangana) and Karnataka should thank the Satavahanas who established this tradition.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:44 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Ugadi or Gudi Padva, the people of Maharashtra, Andhra (and Telangana) and Karnataka should thank the Satavahanas who established this tradition.

happy ugadi and gudi padva! it's also cheti chand (new year) today -- sindhi.

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:52 am

Best Wishes for a Happy and Prosperous New Year - Yugadi, Ugadi, Gudi Padwa, Navreh or Cheti Chand .. 

It is actually yesterday in NE USA. Chaitra Shukla Pratipad started at 07:24:10am on Thursday 7th March. 

@Vakavaka Pakapaka - The first day and new year of Calendar pre dates Satavahana times. May be certain traditions in celebrations were established by them. 

@Meghna Mathur - Best Wishes on the 'Engagement' Anniversary. May be you always preferred 'free form' over 'well formed' - be it Engagement, Marriage or Relationship. May you find happiness that is 'unbounded'  Very Happy 

@Kinnera - 60 year cycle is because (astrologically) the most influencing  planets viz. Jupiter & Saturn together come back to the same reference point (was Aries 0 degrees many thousands of years ago) every 60 years. The names of the years are based on their relative positions w.r.t each other and their impact for the overall well being or otherwise.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>>Sure. I will not be elated when I win the power ball.

Happy Ugadi again!! Smile

>>>You too!
I don't know about you, but I'll be excited for you when you win the power ball. I know! i know! We the supposed to be well balanced and cool like the Buddha and Krishna: the samadrishties. But there are exceptions to that, like when Kris wins the power ball  Razz

Have a wonderful year ahead! :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:06 pm

aiyo i just looked it up... these are actual years of people born certain years. guess i am Pramadicha (hopefully the women of this year are not all this Sad )

47. Pramādicha: The man who is born in the ‘Samvatsara’ of ‘Pramādicha’ is villainous or wicked, proud, quarrelsome, avaricious or greedy, has great love for his own men, is destined to be poor, has weaker intellect and is the doer of deeds which are reprehensible or blame worthy.

According with Jataka Parijata, the person born in the year Pramādicha (2033-2034 AD) will estrange his relatives, and will long for women not his own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:08 pm

smArtha wrote:Best Wishes for a Happy and Prosperous New Year - Yugadi, Ugadi, Gudi Padwa, Navreh or Cheti Chand .. 

It is actually yesterday in NE USA. Chaitra Shukla Pratipad started at 07:24:10am on Thursday 7th March. 

@Vakavaka Pakapaka - The first day and new year of Calendar pre dates Satavahana times. May be certain traditions in celebrations were established by them. 

@Meghna Mathur - Best Wishes on the 'Engagement' Anniversary. May be you always preferred 'free form' over 'well formed' - be it Engagement, Marriage or Relationship. May you find happiness that is 'unbounded'  Very Happy 

@Kinnera - 60 year cycle is because (astrologically) the most influencing  planets viz. Jupiter & Saturn together come back to the same reference point (was Aries 0 degrees many thousands of years ago) every 60 years. The names of the years are based on their relative positions w.r.t each other and their impact for the overall well being or otherwise.
 With a name like that.... I hope this will be a good year: no terrorist attacks, natural calamities, etc. 

Nootana samvatsara shubha kankshalu. Wish you a happy and prosperous new year ahead! :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:aiyo i just looked it up... these are actual years of people born certain years. guess i am Pramadicha (hopefully the women of this year are not all this Sad )

47. Pramādicha: The man who is born in the ‘Samvatsara’ of ‘Pramādicha’ is villainous or wicked, proud, quarrelsome, avaricious or greedy, has great love for his own men, is destined to be poor, has weaker intellect and is the doer of deeds which are reprehensible or blame worthy.

According with Jataka Parijata, the person born in the year Pramādicha (2033-2034 AD) will estrange his relatives, and will long for women not his own.
OMG!  Shocked

tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:24 pm

smArtha wrote:Best Wishes for a Happy and Prosperous New Year - Yugadi, Ugadi, Gudi Padwa, Navreh or Cheti Chand .. 

Happy Ugadi/Yugadi/Gudi Padwa Thumbs-up-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down