Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matter of Courtesy

+4
Hellsangel
garam_kuta
The Absolute Zero
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
8 posters

Go down

Matter of Courtesy Empty Matter of Courtesy

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:12 am

So like, for over a year, you been parking next to the same dude. Your train timings are the same. You run for the same train pretty much every day, or atleast 3 times a week. You dash for the same car in the train, and some days you miss the sliding doors together.

And YET, is it still polite to not acknowledge each other's presence? This dude had a hand in the plaster today, and I pretended that I didn't see it. Should I have asked what happened? If it were a woman instead, I might have. Dunno why this discrimination.

Back to top Go down

Matter of Courtesy Empty Re: Matter of Courtesy

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:30 am

If he is good looking and a potential "friend" then you should have.

Since you ignored him for 3 years I assume he is not, and you are right in ignoring him.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:42 am

yeah, I often get accused of being shallow this way. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:01 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Dunno why this discrimination.

cos you are racist. If he were desi what you wuda done? called your hubby and asked him to come for dinner (and eat with broken hand!). Huh? LOL. Ask him tomorrow. Yea why not, give him a card and flowers too. ROFL

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:04 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:

cos you are racist. If he were desi what you wuda done? called your hubby and asked him to come for dinner (and eat with broken hand!). Huh? LOL. Ask him tomorrow. Yea why not, give him a card and flowers too. ROFL

what's with all the LOL's and ROFL's? I didn't write anything funny... wait, you laughing AT me?

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
The Absolute Zero wrote:

what's with all the LOL's and ROFL's? I didn't write anything funny... wait, you laughing AT me?

I think TAZ is with you on this that there's nothing wrong with what you did;rather, what you didn't..and so the LOL and the ROFL, i should think

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:17 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
I think TAZ is with you on this that there's nothing wrong with what you did;rather, what you didn't..and so the LOL and the ROFL, i should think
And the pun was intended.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:20 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:... wait, you laughing AT me?

No. Somehow remembered the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets a flower bouquette (sp?) made of TV magazine from someone standing in the train next to her. Not that you are Elaine-like but given the Trains, daily travels, it was like that. So if you give card and flowers, there is a very danger he will end up at your door step next week. Befikar? Then do it.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:So like, for over a year, you been parking next to the same dude. Your train timings are the same. You run for the same train pretty much every day, or atleast 3 times a week. You dash for the same car in the train, and some days you miss the sliding doors together.

And YET, is it still polite to not acknowledge each other's presence? This dude had a hand in the plaster today, and I pretended that I didn't see it. Should I have asked what happened? If it were a woman instead, I might have. Dunno why this discrimination.

>>> You probably should have, but no sweat if you didn't. Maybe ask him next time.

P.S. its possible he thinks you are one of them "ay-rabs" where women don't talk to menfolk; so you have an excuse.. hahaha

P.P.S. On a related note, do the aforementioned also avoid talking to their husbands. That could be a win, win Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:40 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:... wait, you laughing AT me?

No. Somehow remembered the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets a flower bouquette (sp?) made of TV magazine from someone standing in the train next to her. Not that you are Elaine-like but given the Trains, daily travels, it was like that. So if you give card and flowers, there is a very danger he will end up at your door step next week. Befikar? Then do it.
\

taz, no need to go into extremes... asking casually after someone's well being is NOT the same as giving them a flower. Or in your world, is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:So like, for over a year, you been parking next to the same dude. Your train timings are the same. You run for the same train pretty much every day, or atleast 3 times a week. You dash for the same car in the train, and some days you miss the sliding doors together.

You were not shallow in not responding; maybe you just were shy. Even the most extroverts amongst us can and do get shy sometimes. And probably conscious. It's not like he hasn't noticed you're a fellow traveler for past year; I'm a big believer in timing - a quick friendly, concerned yet-not intrusive remark would have been appropriate. Even a tacit non-verbal acknowledgement...you'd have made him feel good and maybe yourself too! Ah well...life goes on, eh? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Saw him after a long time today, as was taking that train after a long time. He saw me running like 300 meters in the rain, wearing pumps, and cross the roads just before the lights turned green.

In all the excitement (of running through the roads), when I came inside that little shelter spot, we nodded at each other. And it didnt' even feel odd. Like old acquaintances but, who never were.

In a funny coincidence, later, saw my husband too, standing on the same platform, and waiting for the express (he drops the kids before going to the station)... but saw him only when was entering my train. Nodded at him too. hahaha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:46 am

This episode has sufficient material for a Serbian film-maker to make a short film -- which will still last all of 45 mins, in black and white, of course, capturing little things like the rain-drops falling off the awning, a blind musician playing a violin in the background, a bag lady talking to herself etc.

PI will then view it on Netflix and recommend it enthusiastically to BW, applauding the director's minimalist approach to depicting the dystopian human condition where one communicates with spouse as well as stranger, through nods.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:07 am

hehe... and the star rating of such movies is directly proportional to the CV ratio (consonant to vowel ratio) of the director's last name. for instance, if mr patel, patil or gupta makes such a movie, then it is trash, because CV ratio for these directors is meager 3/2. but if the same movie is made by some mr Grutschkivosky then it is awesome because of his CV ratio of 11/3.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:52 am

lol! to md and ab.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:46 am

Another Brick wrote:hehe... and the star rating of such movies is directly proportional to the CV ratio (consonant to vowel ratio) of the director's last name. for instance, if mr patel, patil or gupta makes such a movie, then it is trash, because CV ratio for these directors is meager 3/2. but if the same movie is made by some mr Grutschkivosky then it is awesome because of his CV ratio of 11/3.

ROFL. also a small beard is important for the director to possess. it must be carefully shabby in appearance and must be accompanied by a vacant state into ether for PI to recognise his terrible talents as a filmmaker.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Another Brick wrote:hehe... and the star rating of such movies is directly proportional to the CV ratio (consonant to vowel ratio) of the director's last name. for instance, if mr patel, patil or gupta makes such a movie, then it is trash, because CV ratio for these directors is meager 3/2. but if the same movie is made by some mr Grutschkivosky then it is awesome because of his CV ratio of 11/3.

my CV ratio is 9/3 = 3...... and real name is exactly 1... omg I just realized.. my real name is totally into a cvcv pattern.. amazing, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:50 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
ROFL. also a small beard is important for the director to possess. it must be carefully shabby in appearance and must be accompanied by a vacant state into ether for PI to recognise his terrible talents as a filmmaker.

yess yess! and if he wears old-fashioned glasses, he is a winner.

TW wrote:

my CV ratio is 9/3 = 3...... and real name is exactly 1... omg I just realized.. my real name is totally into a cvcv pattern.. amazing, right?

what does that say about you? you can perhaps not become a director whose movies PI can watch but hey, you are already a storyteller. the medium doesn't matter.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:21 am

AB, are you working tomorrow?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:28 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:AB, are you working tomorrow?

no, i am not. i hate this policy of my organization. but how do you...

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 am

Some analyst came out with a note yesterday abt how ur employer is straining to meet this quarter's guidance by making folks work Saturdays.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:28 am

I detect the beginnings of insider trading a la' rajarathnam on our august forum itself.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:31 am

Channel check, saar. Channel check.

Strictly above board, I'm telling ya.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:48 am

well, they have even started switching off the AC at 5:30 PM instead of 8:30 PM. and the variable pay is as bad as it was in 08 (or so say the loyal ones). project parties were cancelled a few months ago. i know more's coming.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down