Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

india's supreme court suspends ban on fasting to death

4 posters

Go down

india's supreme court suspends ban on fasting to death Empty india's supreme court suspends ban on fasting to death

Post by swapna Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:59 am

the ban was imposed by rajasthan's high court; the supreme court has now suspended the ban so that it can hear the case. the earliest possible hearing is four years from now, because of the court's high case load.

there was a segment on this news item on npr's morning edition today. several lawyers and jain activists and monks were interviewed. there were sound arguments. 

my sympathies are with those seeking the freedom to fast to death. after food and shelter, freedom is paramount.

swapna

Back to top Go down

india's supreme court suspends ban on fasting to death Empty Re: india's supreme court suspends ban on fasting to death

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:11 am

swapna wrote:the ban was imposed by rajasthan's high court; the supreme court has now suspended the ban so that it can hear the case. the earliest possible hearing is four years from now, because of the court's high case load.

there was a segment on this news item on npr's morning edition today. several lawyers and jain activists and monks were interviewed. there were sound arguments. 

my sympathies are with those seeking the freedom to fast to death. after food and shelter, freedom is paramount.

The jains want their "Book-given" rights to fast and die. You support them fully. I agree.

The muslims want their "Book-given" rights to kill who are not "right" Do you support their "freedom" also ?

After all If freedom is to exercise one's one beliefs, then Muslims are also correct in killing others - am I right ????

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

india's supreme court suspends ban on fasting to death Empty Re: india's supreme court suspends ban on fasting to death

Post by swapna Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
swapna wrote:the ban was imposed by rajasthan's high court; the supreme court has now suspended the ban so that it can hear the case. the earliest possible hearing is four years from now, because of the court's high case load.

The jains want their "Book-given" rights to fast and die. You support them fully. I agree.

The muslims want their "Book-given" rights to kill who are not "right" Do you support their "freedom" also ?

After all If freedom is to exercise one's one beliefs, then Muslims are also correct in killing others - am I right ????
I have said nothing about "book-given" rights; only you have. discuss it in another thread.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:18 pm

swapna wrote:

I have said nothing about "book-given" rights; only you have. discuss it in another thread.
Does he need to go inside a thread to do that or can he possibly do it on a thread?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:

Does he need to go inside a thread to do that or can he possibly do it on a thread?
he may do whatever he wants to, so long as he can, and he doesn't mind appearing to more illiterate in english, the language

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:14 pm

swapna wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
swapna wrote:

he may do whatever he wants to, so long as he can, and he doesn't mind appearing to more illiterate in english, the language
here's what I wanted to post:

he may do whatever he wants to, so long as he can, and he doesn't mind appearing more illiterate in english than he already is.

"discuss it in another thread" is indeed correct;

the following are not:

"discuss it on another thread";

"discuss it with another thread";

"discuss it from another thread";

"discuss it to another thread."

summary: preposition = the downfall of indian english.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 pm

swapna wrote:

You may not have but that is the basis for the Jain demand and hence it is valid.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:20 pm

** indeed, freedom is as essential as air, but how can you support the desire to fast to death? i would not, it is a self-destructive and unreasonable behavior. other examples of it are: polysubstance abuse ( e.g. iv heroin abuse), the right to carry guns in today's society, a woman wanting to stay in an emotionally abusive relationship. if someone wants to cause harm to themselves or others, i cannot support it.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:48 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

** indeed, freedom is as essential as air, but how can you support the desire to fast to death? i would not, it is a self-destructive and unreasonable behavior. other examples of it are: polysubstance abuse ( e.g. iv heroin abuse), the right to carry guns in today's society, a woman wanting to stay in an emotionally abusive relationship. if someone wants to cause harm to themselves or others, i cannot support it.

Rev Iyer ji just gave the NRAs another reason to own guns: "have the rightand freedom to carry a gun to kill myself"

now watch him backtrack into some idiotic grammar correction mode.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down