Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

who am i

4 posters

Go down

who am i Empty who am i

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 am

Went to a writing class for older in the back to school night. Small class, and even a small group of parents. The teacher kept it pretty interactive.

Some parents began by saying how their kids love to write. I said so too, but only in my head. Parents mentioned what their kids had told them what they were writing in class (who am I series). I said too, again, just in my head. I suddenly remembered older had read an essay in the class, dedicated to me. Suddenly felt uncomfortable about it. Also remembered my chatty kid had figured out the teacher's and my birthday is the same, and had obviously told her, along with the conclusion that all people born on this day are weirdos. Yeah... This teacher must not know who I am while I am sitting there.

There was still time left before the class ended. The teacher asked the parents - how many of you write. Almost every parent, except 3 desi ones including me said they write a journal, or poems, or help others write ... a couple of them were modest, so their spouse announced it for them.

Teacher asked again and again, anyone else here writes? Not even a flinch came from me. Mostly because, I myself don't know.

Do I write? I sometimes post obscure stuff on facebook. And sometimes I read out my poems to my older. Funny how I write them about myself, but she thinks I am writing about her. But do I write? Good or bad, boring or interesting is not the question. Do I write? Guess I don't, as no one living with me knows I have written stories, or have attempted to. Almost all l my writing is for the 25 dysfunctional suchers here. 

No. I decided. I don't write. One day I will die, and no one will probably know the stuff I have written. It's definitely not "literature", so it's not gonna be anybody's loss anyway. It's just that I realized sitting there that no one will know I had this side to me.

Teacher then went around and asked parents - who are your kids. Quickly went through the class. Parent would say their kid's name, she would nod and move to the next. Then came to me... I said my kid's name. She nodded, smiled, kept pointing her hand at me. Nodded more vigorously, smiled more vigorously, and held eye exchange with me for a good 5-6 seconds before moving on to the next one. Guess she was figuring out the complete contrast between the two of us (me being painfully quiet).

I suddenly had a feeling. Whether I write or not, the stories will be told, and will probably be told well ...

Back to top Go down

who am i Empty Re: who am i

Post by garam_kuta Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:31 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Went to a writing class for older in the back to school night. Small class, and even a small group of parents. The teacher kept it pretty interactive.

Some parents began by saying how their kids love to write. I said so too, but only in my head. Parents mentioned what their kids had told them what they were writing in class (who am I series). I said too, again, just in my head. I suddenly remembered older had read an essay in the class, dedicated to me. Suddenly felt uncomfortable about it. Also remembered my chatty kid had figured out the teacher's and my birthday is the same, and had obviously told her, along with the conclusion that all people born on this day are weirdos. Yeah... This teacher must not know who I am while I am sitting there.

There was still time left before the class ended. The teacher asked the parents - how many of you write. Almost every parent, except 3 desi ones including me said they write a journal, or poems, or help others write ... a couple of them were modest, so their spouse announced it for them.

Teacher asked again and again, anyone else here writes? Not even a flinch came from me. Mostly because, I myself don't know.

Do I write? I sometimes post obscure stuff on facebook. And sometimes I read out my poems to my older. Funny how I write them about myself, but she thinks I am writing about her. But do I write? Good or bad, boring or interesting is not the question. Do I write? Guess I don't, as no one living with me knows I have written stories, or have attempted to. Almost all l my writing is for the 25 dysfunctional suchers here. 

No. I decided. I don't write. One day I will die, and no one will probably know the stuff I have written. It's definitely not "literature", so it's not gonna be anybody's loss anyway. It's just that I realized sitting there that no one will know I had this side to me.

Teacher then went around and asked parents - who are your kids. Quickly went through the class. Parent would say their kid's name, she would nod and move to the next. Then came to me... I said my kid's name. She nodded, smiled, kept pointing her hand at me. Nodded more vigorously, smiled more vigorously, and held eye exchange with me for a good 5-6 seconds before moving on to the next one. Guess she was figuring out the complete contrast between the two of us (me being painfully quiet).

I suddenly had a feeling. Whether I write or not, the stories will be told, and will probably be told well ...

good writing is like labor ..got to torment yourself over a long period of time.. when you suspect you have the potential, and have the time, keep at it. if not recognition, at least it'd be self-gratifying. remember, there is nothing called perfection. if one worries about it, it ends in self-destruction.

hahaha @ the dysfunctional suchers

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:36 am

very, very, very  nice. enjoyed reading it!

do you write? this is a damn good question you asked of yourself. i ask this question of myself often, esp. on long journeys when my mind has nothing else to do but introspect about my past. i'll answer your question (namely, do you (tw) write?) tomorrow for the answer requires a bit of introspection.

Last edited by brie on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:38 am

garam_kuta wrote:

good writing is like labor ..got to torment yourself over a long period of time.. when you suspect you have the potential, and have the time, keep at it. if not recognition, at least it'd be self-gratifying.  remember, there is nothing called perfection. if one worries about it, it ends in self-destruction.
+1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:38 am

garam_kuta wrote:
good writing is like labor ..got to torment yourself over a long period of time.. when you suspect you have the potential, and have the time, keep at it. if not recognition, at least it'd be self-gratifying.  remember, there is nothing called perfection. if one worries about it, it ends in self-destruction.

That's correct. I can't sit down long enough to write anything "good", and I suspect even if I do, it won't produce anything better than my 5-minute error-full feelings-ejection. i don't even have the discipline to write a journal. All I have is random thoughts that i kinda got addicted to churning it out here, and slowly that addiction too is fading.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
good writing is like labor ..got to torment yourself over a long period of time.. when you suspect you have the potential, and heave the time, keep at it. if not recognition, at least it'd be self-gratifying.  remember, there is nothing called perfection. if one worries about it, it ends in self-destruction.

That's correct. I can't sit down long enough to write anything "good", and I suspect even if I do, it won't produce anything better than my 5-minute error-full feelings-ejection. i don't even have the discipline to write a journal. All I have is random thoughts that i kinda got addicted to churning it out here, and slowly that addiction too is fading.
don't underestimate yourself; you've repeatedly proved that you're capable of copying dil-deewana crap drivel from bollywood songs, and posting them here.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Went to a writing class for older in the back to school night. Small class, and even a small group of parents. The teacher kept it pretty interactive.

she probably wants to have sex with you, and that may be a good deal for you.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Mostly because, I myself don't know. wrote:
>>>Hmmm, maybe but they won't be your stories. People write for many reasons-- one may be just wanting to get out what's in their heads. In many cases, it could be a form of catharsis. Tormented souls probably write better, because they have more of an urgency to make sense of things Smile. Whatever the case, if you like it, just keep doing it. BTW, you do write well*

* Not implying you are a tormented soul, unless we are talking of the SUCH experience... hahaha

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:49 am

brie wrote:very, very, very  nice. enjoyed reading it!

do you write? this is a damn good question you asked of yourself. i ask this question of myself often, esp. on long journeys when my mind has nothing else to do but introspect about my past. i'll answer your question (namely, do you (tw) write?) tomorrow for the answer requires a bit of introspection.
if you had any talent or skill in writing, you would not have written "very, very, very...," but would have used one word to express your feeling suitably. 

may I suggest that, instead of killing yourself to write, you read more, especially in english. and if that fails to entertain you, help ganpath ram chop vegetables every day for the mid-day meal.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:35 am

swapna wrote:

if you had any talent or skill in writing, you would not have written "very, very, very...," but would have used one word to express your feeling suitably. 

may I suggest that, instead of killing yourself to write, you read more, especially in english. and if that fails to entertain you, help ganpath ram chop vegetables every day for the mid-day meal.
i view copy editors with disdain because they lie at the bottom of the pyramid. they are certainly not qualified to judge quality of any prose. they might think they are but since life has given them the short shrift i think they should be allowed to live in delusions of grandeur.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:19 am

brie wrote:
swapna wrote:

i view copy editors with disdain because they lie at the bottom of the pyramid. they are certainly not qualified to judge quality of any prose. they might think they are but since life has given them the short shrift i think they should be allowed to live in delusions of grandeur.
regardless, 

"very, very, very" = devoid of writing ability, devoid of writing ability, devoid of writing ability.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:26 am

swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:

regardless, 

"very, very, very" = devoid of writing ability, devoid of writing ability, devoid of writing ability.
ok penurious copy editor, ok penurious copy editor, ok penurious copy editor.

why did the syrian christian, bald doctor, and writer, not employ your copy editing services for a second time despite the fact that you were doing it for free? why did the syrian christian, bald doctor, and writer, not employ your copy editing services for a second time despite the fact that you were doing it for free? why did the syrian christian, bald doctor, and writer, not employ your copy editing services for a second time despite the fact that you were doing it ofr free? 

was he not happy with your services? answer regardless! was he not happy with your services? answer regardless! was he not happy with your services? answer regardless!

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:34 am

brie wrote:
swapna wrote:

i view copy editors with disdain because they lie at the bottom of the pyramid. they are certainly not qualified to judge quality of any prose. they might think they are but since life has given them the short shrift i think they should be allowed to live in delusions of grandeur.

100 times:

judge the quality of any prose

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 am

swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:

i view copy editors with disdain because they lie at the bottom of the pyramid. they are certainly not qualified to judge quality of any prose. they might think they are but since life has given them the short shrift i think they should be allowed to live in delusions of grandeur.

100 times:

there was a "the" there which i removed on rereading. 

100 times:

- "the" there is REDUNDANT
- "the" there is REDUNDANT

edit. I AM HAVING SERIOUS DOUBTS IF YOU'D MAKE A GOOD COPY EDITOR. I THINK I NOW KNOW WHY THE BALD SC WRITER FELLA DUMPED YOU. YOU ARE GOOD AT INSERTING ERRORS WHERE NONE EXIST. 

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:05 am

brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:

100 times:

100 times:

edit. I AM HAVING SERIOUS DOUBTS IF YOU'D MAKE A GOOD COPY EDITOR. I THINK I NOW KNOW WHY THE BALD SC WRITER FELLA DUMPED YOU. YOU ARE GOOD AT INSERTING ERRORS WHERE NONE EXIST. 

you get negative credit for deleting a required word.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:24 am

swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:
brie wrote:
swapna wrote:

100 times:

100 times:

you get negative credit for deleting a required word.
PROVE TO ME THAT IT IS REQUIRED. HERE ARE EXAMPLES TO PROVE THAT IT IS NOT:

http://www1.appstate.edu/~kms/classes/psy3100/Documents/diener2001.pdf
http://brendangahan.com/digital-offline-human-psychology-works/
http://www.benbrook-tx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/995

ARE YOU AN IDIOT OR ARE YOU AN IDIOT? 

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Do I write?

>>> Yes, you do; and you could have easily turned into a good and successful writer. You probably did not find a good / right inspiration in the past to help you.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:38 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Do I write?

>>> Yes, you do; and you could have easily turned into a good and successful writer. You probably did not find a good / right inspiration in the past to help you.

thanks Seva! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum