Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pics of early immigrants

+3
Merlot Daruwala
Kris
pravalika nanda
7 posters

Go down

pics of early immigrants Empty pics of early immigrants

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:08 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/24/what-americas-immigrants-looked-like-when-they-arrived-on-ellis-island/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_2_na

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

pics of early immigrants Empty Re: pics of early immigrants

Post by Kris Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:18 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/24/what-americas-immigrants-looked-like-when-they-arrived-on-ellis-island/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_2_na
>>>Amazing how this country digested the multiple ethnicities. Cool pictures.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Kris wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/24/what-americas-immigrants-looked-like-when-they-arrived-on-ellis-island/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_2_na
so many different variations of the salwar-kameez.
americans need to see what they originally looked like instead of being so xenophobic, which is what this country reallly has become

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:18 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:
americans need to see what they originally looked like instead of being so xenophobic, which is what this country reallly has become
When Americans do it, you scream xenophobia. When mad cow-sons do it, you applaud them for their Hindu values. How do you square off these hypocrisies, Pravu?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:30 am

Interesting! every woman had her head covered.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:27 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Interesting! every woman had her head covered.
all men except two covered their heads too. you noticed only women, also interesting.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:30 pm

cool pix PN. people were way too serious back then. not one of them is smiling. and they dressed too seriously. 
i see america was like that team in movie Internship - leftovers after all cool people picked their teams and only a few people remained. they formed this team called america and came so far! a-mazzing. 
you've got to love this country.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:04 am

seven wrote:cool pix PN. people were way too serious back then. not one of them is smiling. and they dressed too seriously. 
i see america was like that team in movie Internship - leftovers after all cool people picked their teams and only a few people remained. they formed this team called america and came so far! a-mazzing. 
you've got to love this country.
>>+1

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:27 pm

seven wrote:
all men except two covered their heads too. you noticed only women, also interesting.
Most American men cover their heads even today (with baseball caps) that hasn't changed much.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:26 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
seven wrote:
Most American men cover their heads even today (with baseball caps) that hasn't changed much.
rofl
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:26 pm

seven wrote:
Good point. Btw one of the two men, with uncovered head, is not wearing any clothes. So, basically that leaves only one man without a head-covering while with the rest of clothes on.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:
When Americans do it, you scream xenophobia. When mad cow-sons do it, you applaud them for their Hindu values.
How do you square off these hypocrisies, Pravu?
what a load of bull. if anyone is a hypocrite, it is you. instead of supporting law and order and justice for everyone in the country, you have always taken a side, just like uppili takes a side. so homo secularis, shove it.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:
When Americans do it, you scream xenophobia. When mad cow-sons do it, you applaud them for their Hindu values.
what a load of bull. if anyone is a hypocrite, it is you. instead of supporting law and order and justice for everyone in the country, you have always taken a side, just like uppili takes a side. so homo secularis, shove it.
I asked you because you have a remarkable talent for being blind to the ironies of stuff you complain about. In your own country, you condemn bigotry, racism and xenophobia but when it comes to India, you are all for it. The same secularism that ensures you are treated as an equal citizen in the US becomes a term of ridicule when it comes to India. This is a truly awesome capability, Pravu. Please give me some tips, na.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:
I asked you because you have a remarkable talent for being blind to the ironies of stuff you complain about. In your own country, you condemn bigotry, racism and xenophobia but when it comes to India, you are all for it.

** don't be absurd, don't think you're going to say all this bullshit and i'm going to sit meekly and tolerate it. looks like you have mad cow disease, everyone knows you'll eat anything. where are examples of me supporting bigotry, racism a dn xenophobia in india???

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:56 pm

also i don't have time for these endless stupid topics, i don't live in a secular-elite bubble surrounded by low-caste people doing every single chore for me.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:45 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
I asked you because you have a remarkable talent for being blind to the ironies of stuff you complain about. In your own country, you condemn bigotry, racism and xenophobia but when it comes to India, you are all for it.

** don't be absurd, don't think you're going to say all this bullshit and i'm going to sit meekly and tolerate it. looks like you have mad cow disease, everyone knows you'll eat anything. where are examples of me supporting bigotry, racism a dn xenophobia in india???
i would indeed like to see examples of all the above after you label me as such. in the past you call you called me a hindu hate hag. looking back, i did indeed stay away from political topics because of it. you should go through this exercise for your own edification, to find out for yourself how truly intolerant and detestable you are.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:07 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

i would indeed like to see examples of all the above after you label me as such. in the past you call you called me a hindu hate hag. looking back, i did indeed stay away from political topics because of it. you should go through this exercise for your own edification, to find out for yourself how truly intolerant and detestable you are.

Don't whine, Pravu. Leave that to your limpwristed brethren. I called you a hate hag when you responded to Maria's wishes for peace and harmony with this:

pravalika nanda wrote:...tell your congregation to not engage in forcible conversions and in teaching hatred towards the hindus. and if Indians could sit around with this catholic  non-indian  woman and her machinations for the last 10 years or so, understand that if there was a Christian politician of Indian origin with 2/3s the charisma that Modi (a teawallah/chuddi) had, he or she could have won as well. If you guys saw yourself as INdian first you would not have to have me tell you this

If you don't see hatred in this, you are just being willfully blind.

Second, in a pitched argument between Hindutva bigots and others, when you ridicule secular principles and make it out to be some elitist hobby - whereas the victims of Hindu bigotry are always the poorest and the weakest members of society - you are automatically casting your lot with the likes of Upps Aunty and Rawmotions. And you will get called out on that.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:13 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Don't whine, Pravu. Leave that to your limpwristed brethren. I called you a hate hag when you responded to Maria's wishes for peace and harmony with this:

pravalika nanda wrote:...tell your congregation to not engage in forcible conversions and in teaching hatred towards the hindus. and if Indians could sit around with this catholic  non-indian  woman and her machinations for the last 10 years or so, understand that if there was a Christian politician of Indian origin with 2/3s the charisma that Modi (a teawallah/chuddi) had, he or she could have won as well. If you guys saw yourself as INdian first you would not have to have me tell you this

Second, in a pitched argument between Hindutva bigots and others, when you ridicule secular principles and make it out to be some elitist hobby - whereas the victims of Hindu bigotry are always the poorest and the weakest members of society - you are automatically casting your lot with the likes of Upps Aunty and Rawmotions. And you will get called out on that.

Pravalika is not a hard core hindutva. Instead of attacking her it would be better to try and win her over to the secular side by employing the method of persuasion.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Pravalika is not a hard core hindutva. Instead of attacking her it would be better to try and win her over to the secular side by employing the method of persuasion.
oh sure, my brahmachari, do help me mend my ways so i may celebrate christmas in the middle of november before thanksgiving.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:40 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

**without doubt i am against the forcible conversion of hindus and in the process they are also bought for a few rupees and brainwashed to hate  hindus and hinduism. these things don't happen through free will on the part of the converted nor is it the simple matter of free speech on part of the converter though you make teh claim that it is. you find hate speech acceptable if it is against hindus so that makes you a secular elite.

** in addition, maria, as a well-off, educated, SI woman had no valid reason to worry about practicing her religion, she is not at a greater risk than any other indina woman to do as she pleases. religious violence is by and large a problem of the poor. it is practicing christians in  the us who in fact who feed the system by their contributions to church.

** it was also a time when modi did not have a real opponent and indinas, the vast majority of whom are broad-minded would have voted for a non-hindu without modi's baggage if there was one running. india is too large and diverse a country to be communal but poor enough to have bouts of communal violence. even when modi won at the peak of his populatiry i believe he had gotten only 30% of teh vote.

** i had reason to feel optimistic that we finally had an indian leader who was not part of some dynasty and who appeared to want to put behind his baggage and move on with a vision for india. as i recall flim flam said something along those lines as well. in true secular fashion, you called me a hindu hate hag for it. the irony is that you didn't criticize flim flam for his optimism as if he was a lesser person. i don't know why you spared him. he's regular middle-class guy but you gave the velvet glove treatment cuz you decided he was christian and vulnerable. in that way, your secularism is a form of discrimniation. the middle class hindu is no less vulnerable than teh middle-class christian.

Second, in a pitched argument between Hindutva bigots and others, when you ridicule secular principles and make it out to be some elitist hobby -

** there's a difference between ridiculing you and ridiculing secular prinicples. learn the difference.

whereas the victims of Hindu bigotry are always the poorest and the weakest members of society - you are automatically casting your lot with the likes of Upps Aunty and Rawmotions.

that's a fine sense of balance there, you have been very good at bringing any discussion to a stop with your name calling and threats and moral superiority and in a way you secular-elites have appropriated those positions. no one is secular unless they're spouting the same crap you are.

And you will get called out on that.

** have a good time, you're the secular-elite police.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:13 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

**without doubt i am against the forcible conversion of hindus and in the process they are also bought for a few rupees and brainwashed to hate  hindus and hinduism. these things don't happen through free will on the part of the converted nor is it the simple matter of free speech on part of the converter though you make teh claim that it is. you find hate speech acceptable if it is against hindus so that makes you a secular elite.

This is a typical bogey raised by hate peddlers. If indeed these 'forcible conversions' were a real and material phenomenon, it should have shown in the figures. On the contrary, the Christian population in India is growing slower than average and has stayed unchanged at 2.3% of the total between 2001 and 2011.

Using such bogeys to launch a personal attack on an individual only because she is Christian is what makes you a hate hag. Being clueless about most things as you are, you might not have realized this. But now you know. You're welcome.

pravalika nanda wrote:** in addition, maria, as a well-off, educated, SI woman had no valid reason to worry about practicing her religion, she is not at a greater risk than any other indina woman to do as she pleases.
Not any more than you need to worry about racism and xenophobia in the US. And yet, you do. So why deny someone else her right to worry about whatever bothers her? Intolerance of others' concerns - as evidenced by the personal attacks launched against anyone who complained of the growing intolerance in India these last few weeks - is another trait of a majoritarian hate monger. On this board, you are in excellent company, Pravu. Rejoice!

pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Second, in a pitched argument between Hindutva bigots and others, when you ridicule secular principles and make it out to be some elitist hobby -

** there's a difference between ridiculing you and ridiculing secular prinicples. learn the difference.

I might have believed that if you had not so helpfully elucidated on your beliefs elsewhere in this very post. Sorry Pravu, no dice. Like all chaddis, you have contempt for secularism and it shows. Which is ironic, given how you can worship your gods and goddesses only because of a secular US Constitution.

pravalika nanda wrote:** that's a fine sense of balance there, you have been very good at bringing any discussion to a stop with your name calling and threats and moral superiority and in a way you secular-elites have appropriated those positions. no one is secular unless they're spouting the same crap you are....have a good time, you're the secular-elite police.

Oh the irony of accusing someone of name calling, while name calling!

Like I said at the start, you say things blissfully unaware of the ironies. It is a precious gift that only products of multi-generational inbreeding get to enjoy. Congratulations!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

This is a typical bogey raised by hate peddlers. If indeed these 'forcible conversions' were a real and material phenomenon, it should have shown in the figures. On the contrary, the Christian population in India is growing slower than average and has stayed unchanged at 2.3% of the total between 2001 and 2011.

Using such bogeys to launch a personal attack on an individual only because she is Christian is what makes you a hate hag. Being clueless about most things as you are, you might not have realized this. But now you know. You're welcome.

pravalika nanda wrote:** in addition, maria, as a well-off, educated, SI woman had no valid reason to worry about practicing her religion, she is not at a greater risk than any other indina woman to do as she pleases.
Not any more than you need to worry about racism and xenophobia in the US. And yet, you do. So why deny someone else her right to worry about whatever bothers her? Intolerance of others' concerns - as evidenced by the personal attacks launched against anyone who complained of the growing intolerance in India these last few weeks - is another trait of a majoritarian hate monger. On this board, you are in excellent company, Pravu. Rejoice!

pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Second, in a pitched argument between Hindutva bigots and others, when you ridicule secular principles and make it out to be some elitist hobby -

I might have believed that if you had not so helpfully elucidated on your beliefs elsewhere in this very post. Sorry Pravu, no dice. Like all chaddis, you have contempt for secularism and it shows. Which is ironic, given how you can worship your gods and goddesses only because of a secular US Constitution.

pravalika nanda wrote:** that's a fine sense of balance there, you have been very good at bringing any discussion to a stop with your name calling and threats and moral superiority and in a way you secular-elites have appropriated those positions. no one is secular unless they're spouting the same crap you are....have a good time, you're the secular-elite police.

Oh the irony of accusing someone of name calling, while name calling!

Like I said at the start, you say things blissfully unaware of the ironies. It is a precious gift that only products of multi-generational inbreeding get to enjoy. Congratulations!
Noted.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down