Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sankarshan Thakur: From Har Har Modi to Arhar Modi

2 posters

Go down

Sankarshan Thakur: From Har Har Modi to Arhar Modi Empty Sankarshan Thakur: From Har Har Modi to Arhar Modi

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a crisp new slogan minted after his name, though this one he may not wish to hear.

Last year's winner cry of " Har Har Modi" has acquired a sardonic echo and become "Arhar Modi", a taunt on rocketed dal prices. Fair numbers of those that would rave about him in 2014 find themselves obliged to rage.

Raju Yadav, 40 and unemployed, readily counts himself among them: " Bewakoof banaya garib ko, vote le gaya, mehngai de gaya, Har Har Modi se Arhar Modi ban gaya hai (He befooled the poor, he took away our votes and gave us inflation in return, from Har Har Modi, he has turned into Arhar Modi)."

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1151026/jsp/frontpage/story_49692.jsp#.Vi2ndtZX_wx

Back to top Go down

Sankarshan Thakur: From Har Har Modi to Arhar Modi Empty Re: Sankarshan Thakur: From Har Har Modi to Arhar Modi

Post by seven Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:15 pm

the lock on my mom's house is broken. The house needs paint on the outside and the rain killed my friend's crop. 

all that must be modi's fault too. 

too bad none of it rhymes with har har. sigh.

seven

Back to top Go down

Sankarshan Thakur: From Har Har Modi to Arhar Modi Empty Re: Sankarshan Thakur: From Har Har Modi to Arhar Modi

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:23 pm

seven wrote:the lock on my mom's house is broken. The house needs paint on the outside and the rain killed my friend's crop. 

Very clever, Seven. But the man won the election making much of the food inflation during UPA times and promising that he would control it. It's fair to now hold him accountable when the prices of everything have shot up to obscene levels, a year and a half into his term.

Toor dal, fyi, is as expensive as chicken. On the one hand, the various BJP-run state govts are going around banning animal protein, and on the other hand, prices of veggies and pulses are skyrocketing. Except the most mindless Namotards (and I include classy NRI Patriots in that category), nobody is talking of acche din in India these days.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
seven wrote:the lock on my mom's house is broken. The house needs paint on the outside and the rain killed my friend's crop. 

Very clever, Seven. But the man won the election making much of the food inflation during UPA times and promising that he would control it. It's fair to now hold him accountable when the prices of everything have shot up to obscene levels, a year and a half into his term.

Toor dal, fyi, is as expensive as chicken. On the one hand, the various BJP-run state govts are going around banning animal protein, and on the other hand, prices of veggies and pulses are skyrocketing. Except the most mindless Namotards (and I include classy NRI Patriots in that category), nobody is talking of acche din in India these days.
OMG! year n a half!!

i mean its good that people are able to remember promises made by politicians to win elections. But how many years did congress had to hatao garibi? didn't these same people give cong like 60 years to accomplish that?

be patient with PM Modi too. he is setting things in motion. good things are going to happen.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:37 am

seven wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

OMG! year n a half!!

i mean its good that people are able to remember promises made by politicians to win elections. But how many years did congress had to hatao garibi? didn't these same people give cong like 60 years to accomplish that?

You're quite wrong. The UPA got thrown out precisely for failing on every front, and this one was elected to power only because it promised to be very different and so much better than them. So it is very lame to use that oh-the-congress-had-sixty-years line.

Come to think of it, that line is not even accurate. Until 1989, there was no credible opposition (ignoring the Janata circus of '77) so the Congress essentially won by default for the first 40 years out of those 60. After that, starting with 1989, every time the opposition put together a credible story, people gave it a chance. It is a different matter that every time they made such a hash of things, ppl ran back into the arms of the dynasty. And if this government keeps using these lame defences to justify inaction on the ground, rest assured, it will get voted out in 2019.

seven wrote:be patient with PM Modi too. he is setting things in motion. good things are going to happen.

Sorry Seven, maybe you have some special inside track on what PM Modi is up to, because you are a member of that very special class, the NRI Patriot.

Here in India, we don't get to hear any of those statesman-like visions or see any of that CEO-type dynamism that makes you swoon. All we get are empty slogans which are forgotten within days, bans on non-veg, vigilante violence, targeting of Dalits and minorities even as the PM mouths platitudes about peace and harmony, intolerance of dissent, stuffing of all key institutions of higher education and culture with mediocrity, skyrocketing prices, high unemployment levels in the most lawless parts of India, absence of business confidence and so on. So pardon me if I dismiss your optimism as the opinion of an ill-informed twit.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:04 pm

I've emailed PM to get back to me with the list of yojnaein.

in the meantime, you don't think PM is not doing anything to improve on current state. What do you imagine he does everyday in office? watch nsfw posts? :eyeroll

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:50 am

seven wrote:I've emailed PM to get back to me with the list of yojnaein.

in the meantime, you don't think PM is not doing anything to improve on current state. What do you imagine he does everyday in office? watch nsfw posts? :eyeroll

Well, if he finds time to attend office at all in between all the hectic jetsetting to wow NRI Patriots and bear-hugging of world leaders and business tycoons, I imagine he spends his time there googling his name, reading all the praise heaped on him by his star-struck fans, gloating over his social-media team's updated report on number of RTs, likes etc, planning his next travel schedule while his barber trims and shapes his beard, watching videos of his various campaign speeches and photo-ops to see what gesture and body language he can further finesse, practising those new moves in a large mirror next to his desk (and sneaking admiring looks at himself every ten seconds), posing for new photoshoots, selecting fabrics and designs for his next season's wardrobe (so fangirls like Upps Aunty can wet their panties further on his next outing), reviewing the draft of his speeches for the next day even as some Mizo girl does his mani-pedi.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down