Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Tamil Dishes you probably have never heard of

+3
MaxEntropy_Man
Kris
Kayalvizhi
7 posters

Go down

Six Tamil Dishes you probably have never heard of Empty Six Tamil Dishes you probably have never heard of

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:44 pm

http://www.thequint.com/wine-dine/2015/11/15/six-vegetarian-tamil-dishes-you-probably-havent-heard-of

Back to top Go down

Six Tamil Dishes you probably have never heard of Empty Re: Six Tamil Dishes you probably have never heard of

Post by Kayalvizhi Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:25 am

No Sari, No Idli, South Indians Go to Hell

http://www.tamiltribune.com/07/0701.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Six Tamil Dishes you probably have never heard of Empty Re: Six Tamil Dishes you probably have never heard of

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:54 am

Rashmun wrote:http://www.thequint.com/wine-dine/2015/11/15/six-vegetarian-tamil-dishes-you-probably-havent-heard-of
>>Those are very nice pictures. Most of them are fairly common in home cooked meals (used to be at least). I can recall at least  four that my mother used to make.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:58 am

that title should be extended with "if you've been living in a cave". btw it isn't "koikattai", but "kozhakattai". only a two year old or a person with a speech impediment would say koikattai.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:41 am

this woman has an annoying way of writing. also wtf, am 89% carnivore and even I know all of these

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:17 am

the writer of this article declares herself to be a Tamilian in the third para of the article. But her surname is Sharma which indicates she is a UPwali. Synthesis?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:25 am

"sarma" is a rare tamil brahmin name. many religious rituals of tamil brahmins involve males identifying themselves using the postfix "sarmanaha".  if it makes you happy to think of it as having a UP origin, knock yourself out.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:32 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:"sarma" is a rare tamil brahmin name. many religious rituals of tamil brahmins involve males identifying themselves using the postfix "sarmanaha".  if it makes you happy to think of it as having a UP origin, knock yourself out.

her surname is not 'Sarma'; it is Sharma. Sharma is not a Tamil name; it is a UP brahmin surname.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:34 am

it's possible she is married to a bhaiyya.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:37 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's possible she is married to a bhaiyya.

another possibility is that her parents migrated to TN and she was born and brought up in TN. Max, would you consider such a person a Tamilian?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:40 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's possible she is married to a bhaiyya.

another possibility is that her parents migrated to TN and she was born and brought up in TN. Max, would you consider such a person a Tamilian?

if she speaks tamil, yes absolutely.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:"sarma" is a rare tamil brahmin name. many religious rituals of tamil brahmins involve males identifying themselves using the postfix "sarmanaha".  if it makes you happy to think of it as having a UP origin, knock yourself out.

Not really that rare in traditional TN. These days, they are not using it (same in coastal AP). Narayana Sarma is replaced by Naresh and Sankara Sastry is replaced by Shankar (yes, add Sarma as a post-fix in rituals).

The dishes look quite familiar (except for the spinach one).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that title should be extended with "if you've been living in a cave". btw it isn't "koikattai", but "kozhakattai".  only a two year old or a person with a speech impediment would say koikattai.

hahaha!

This could be rightly attributed to infant/child-speaking origins; and actually, IMO, very many shortened and colloquial versions of words/phrases/names have their origins in such toddlers lingo, that I am convinced of.

Nevertheless, sticking to the subject of this post, I am always amused at the rarely-right-but-never-in-doubt PalakkAdu and Thanjavoor tambrams' favorites, "molagootal/milagootal" and 'vaEppilai katti", respectively - while their names implicitly mean 'miLagu/moLagu', i.e., black pepper, in the former, and 'vaeppilai'  that is neem leaves, in the latter as one of the  core components, they do not have these individual key ingredient in almost all the various recipes (with minor variations).

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:32 pm

ha ha ha, she was probably targetting a NotIndian audience. all foods i had this past month. Incidentally, Vaka, the spinach dish is the one I made this morning.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:37 pm

wait, i don't know the last white tear drop-shaped thing. never had anything like that.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:this woman has an annoying way of writing. also wtf, am 89% carnivore and even I know all of these
It may have been written with a non SI readership in mind, which is more familiar with usual idli/dosa menus.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Rashmun wrote:

her surname is not 'Sarma'; it is Sharma. Sharma is not a Tamil name; it is a UP brahmin surname.
>>>In our family circles, there are some sharmas, or at least I think that is how it was pronounced and spelled. This was in my grandfather's generation and I always thought it had a caste affiliation.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:29 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that title should be extended with "if you've been living in a cave". btw it isn't "koikattai", but "kozhakattai".  only a two year old or a person with a speech impediment would say koikattai.

hahaha!

This could be rightly attributed to infant/child-speaking origins; and actually, IMO, very many shortened and colloquial versions of words/phrases/names have their origins in such toddlers lingo, that I am convinced of.

Nevertheless, sticking to the subject of this post, I am always amused at the rarely-right-but-never-in-doubt PalakkAdu and Thanjavoor tambrams' favorites, "molagootal/milagootal" and 'vaEppilai katti", respectively - while their names implicitly mean 'miLagu/moLagu', i.e., black pepper, in the former, and 'vaeppilai'  that is neem leaves, in the latter as one of the  core components, they do not have these individual key ingredient in almost all the various recipes (with minor variations).

hmm...on giving it more than a glance, this is very sloppy work with an enticing title just to get attention.

it appears more like keerai masiyal than keerai molakootal - no sign of moong dAl or any dAl for that matter and the characteristic traces of coconut, even if ground too fine.

sloppy work again, on the vatha kozhambhu: looks more like puLi saEri related to iru puLi mOr kuzhambhu.
vatha kozhambhu is dark, brickish brown in color, with oil floating on the top containing salted sun dried veggies that are dark, completely fried, unlike the half cooked greenish bhindi in the picture. This one appears to have butter milk as the base that got curdled presumably due to over heating unless it is grated coconut, in excess. Whatever it is, the color is totally wrong for vathal kuzhambhu.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down