Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India's national newspaper

5 posters

Go down

India's national newspaper Empty India's national newspaper

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Perhaps the best Indian newspaper all set to conquer North India:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6095/6339179133_050dac7ea3_b.jpg

I loved the last sentence of N.Ram.

Back to top Go down

India's national newspaper Empty Re: India's national newspaper

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:21 pm

ahan! so now we will get some real national news, ya?

best newspaper? well maybe, but how is it going to conquer north india without money?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:41 pm

seven wrote:ahan! so now we will get some real national news, ya?

best newspaper? well maybe, but how is it going to conquer north india without money?

it will conquer north india because of its greater credibility and reputation. Paid news has become so rampant these days that the public is fed up of the indian media since they do not know whether the news they are reading has been paid for by someone. That is why N.Ram refers to the paid news phenomenon in the last sentence of his note. He is rightly counting on the fact that most readers would prefer to read news in a publication which has a reputation for integrity and which commands trust.

as for money, the hindu group has a lot of money. right now it is the second biggest print media company after the times of india. in third place is the hindustan times.

among discerning readers, times of india has a poor reputation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Awesome!! i think i will start reading news myself Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:30 am

Good for The Hindu. I wonder if their Delhi circulation is at a respectable level; they've been in that market for over a decade now.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:24 am

charvaka wrote:Good for The Hindu. I wonder if their Delhi circulation is at a respectable level; they've been in that market for over a decade now.
Yeah, I was probably their sole subscriber in Delhi and my only interest in reading the Hindu back then was their awesome cryptics.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:55 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
charvaka wrote:Good for The Hindu. I wonder if their Delhi circulation is at a respectable level; they've been in that market for over a decade now.
Yeah, I was probably their sole subscriber in Delhi and my only interest in reading the Hindu back then was their awesome cryptics.

I used to think that they were awesome too until I came across much more fiendish ones.

When I try them now, they don't seem all that awesome anymore. But I do owe it to The Hindu for triggering my interest in cryptics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:18 am

blabberwock wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

I used to think that they were awesome too until I came across much more fiendish ones.

When I try them now, they don't seem all that awesome anymore. But I do owe it to The Hindu for triggering my interest in cryptics.
Yeah, awesome is probably the wrong word. It's just that after a while, you start becoming familiar with the clue-setter's way of thinking and terminology, and then develop a loyalty to that crossword. Before The Hindu, I was a big fan of this gentleman called VNR Rao who used to set the cryptic clues in Deccan Herald's Sunday section.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:35 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Yeah, awesome is probably the wrong word. It's just that after a while, you start becoming familiar with the clue-setter's way of thinking and terminology, and then develop a loyalty to that crossword. Before The Hindu, I was a big fan of this gentleman called VNR Rao who used to set the cryptic clues in Deccan Herald's Sunday section.

I haven't tried anything other than The Hindu cryptics among Indian newspapers. I am not familiar with VNR Rao. Wonder if there are any available online.

There was a phase when I started enjoying setting clues more than solving them.

All this makes me long for some cryptics. Indo? Anyone else?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:55 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

But I do owe it to The Hindu for triggering my interest in cryptics.
Me too. My parents switched from the Telugu newspaper Eenadu to The Hindu when they realized my English wasn't any good when I was in 9th grade.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:59 pm

india's national newspaper has just started a series of audio podcasts of selected editorials in thamizh (http://www.thehindu.com/news/article2612204.ece). enjoy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Rashmun wrote:Perhaps the best Indian newspaper all set to conquer North India:

If you are N Ram, it doesn't cost you much to print sentences like that. Whether they are true or not is a different matter.

Here's something from N Ravi, his own brother, republished at http://blogs.outlookindia.com/default.aspx?ddm=10&pid=2485&eid=31:

The Hindu as an institution had in the past valued its editorial integrity over all else. In the recent period, editorial integrity has been severely compromised and news coverage linked directly to advertising in a way that is little different from paid news. A meaningless distinction has been sought to be made between walls and lines, and the walls between editorial and advertising are sought to be replaced by “lines” between them. Very recently, those of us who were not privy to the deal making learnt to our shock that a major interview with A. Raja in defence of the telecom licensing policy published on May 22, 2010—that was referred to by the Prime Minister in his press conference--involved a direct quid pro quo in the form of a full page, colour advertisement from the Telecom Ministry that was specially and hurriedly cleared by the Minister personally for publication on the same day in The Hindu. The contrast between such a deed and pious editorial declarations including the campaign against paid news cannot be starker. To continue with such practices, the editorial structure is sought to be changed, with the editor being made subordinate to an executive board comprising a majority of business side executives. The undermining of the primacy of the editorial function is an attack on the very soul of The Hindu. In the context of these distortions that have crept into actual practice, the high sounding code of editorial values that is sought to be publicised now would seem no more than empty rhetoric.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:13 pm

SomeProfile wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Perhaps the best Indian newspaper all set to conquer North India:

If you are N Ram, it doesn't cost you much to print sentences like that. Whether they are true or not is a different matter.

Here's something from N Ravi, his own brother, republished at http://blogs.outlookindia.com/default.aspx?ddm=10&pid=2485&eid=31:

The Hindu as an institution had in the past valued its editorial integrity over all else. In the recent period, editorial integrity has been severely compromised and news coverage linked directly to advertising in a way that is little different from paid news. A meaningless distinction has been sought to be made between walls and lines, and the walls between editorial and advertising are sought to be replaced by “lines” between them. Very recently, those of us who were not privy to the deal making learnt to our shock that a major interview with A. Raja in defence of the telecom licensing policy published on May 22, 2010—that was referred to by the Prime Minister in his press conference--involved a direct quid pro quo in the form of a full page, colour advertisement from the Telecom Ministry that was specially and hurriedly cleared by the Minister personally for publication on the same day in The Hindu. The contrast between such a deed and pious editorial declarations including the campaign against paid news cannot be starker. To continue with such practices, the editorial structure is sought to be changed, with the editor being made subordinate to an executive board comprising a majority of business side executives. The undermining of the primacy of the editorial function is an attack on the very soul of The Hindu. In the context of these distortions that have crept into actual practice, the high sounding code of editorial values that is sought to be publicised now would seem no more than empty rhetoric.

N.Ravi's opinion is biased. he was ousted as the editor of the hindu after being at the job for 10 years and the position was taken over by N.Ram. The reason given for this was that many readers started complaining that the Hindu had become too left wing. Then when N. Ram retired as the editor of the Hindu, Ravi was hoping to take over as Editor again but Ram managed to foil his plans again.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:01 am

N. ravi or N. ram---who cares.....

both are commies Rolling Eyes

maha aadarniya shri balasahab thackeray had once called out for renaming the hindu as the muslim !! Laughing

such is the level of muslim appeasement to which this paper goes---of course , typical of commies Wink

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:14 am

The current editor of the hindu, Siddharth varadarajan, is also fiercely commie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down