Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

some feisty writing on BN

5 posters

Go down

some feisty writing on BN Empty some feisty writing on BN

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:03 am

http://bharatanatyam2dance.wordpress.com/

here's something she calls hilarious bharatanattiyam. i have to say it is quite hilarious:

this woman can barely walk, let alone dance!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

some feisty writing on BN Empty Re: some feisty writing on BN

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:46 am

What in the world is that woman doing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:54 am

You're all so unkind. BN is just another performance art, so the lady's fully entitled to interpret the movements her own way. Why should everyone execute the dance just like Alarmel Valli does?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:07 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:You're all so unkind. BN is just another performance art, so the lady's fully entitled to interpret the movements her own way. Why should everyone execute the dance just like Alarmel Valli does?

I can't bring myself to appreciate BN, even in its finest interpretation. That said, this one looks like someone who has been made to dance right after participating in one of those "feast-to-death" protests.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:40 am

Haha...now it's downright nastiness. You're now deriding her um..well-fed appearance.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:56 am

oh pleaseeeeeeee guys. cultural pohilistines all. this was a doordarshan special you just watched! here's another one.

some youtube viewer comments:
I think this dance is her own creation v can call this old doll dance

oh my goooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I AM A STUDENT
LEARNING BHARATHANATYAM.NOW I HAVE FORGOTEN ALL MY STEPS.WHAT A
HORRIBILARIOUS ( HORRIBLE+HILARIOUS)  DANCE.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Haha...now it's downright nastiness. You're now deriding her um..well-fed appearance.

Oh, shush!

I was commenting on her lack of mobility and nothing else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:55 am

she glides so effortlessly through the air like a swan. not a single mudra looks strained or forced. it looks as though there is hardly any movement at all and that she is just walking around carelessly in the park -- what an optical illusion she creates! superb!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:05 am

I totally agree. The minimalist movement is zen-like in nature. One couldn't find a more naturalistic rendition of the human emotion. So moving, it brought tears to my eyes. Truly sublime indeed.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 am

WOW, just want to say wow!!! you hipsters should really show it to the world how its done! really....line up and dance an item each...i would pay to watch a show like that...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:23 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I totally agree. The minimalist movement is zen-like in nature. One couldn't find a more naturalistic rendition of the human emotion. So moving, it brought tears to my eyes. Truly sublime indeed.

ah.. agent.. at its best, BN, these days is the indian sign language, na ? Cool

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:14 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://bharatanatyam2dance.wordpress.com/

here's something she calls hilarious bharatanattiyam. i have to say it is quite hilarious:

this woman can barely walk, let alone dance!

I showed this youtube to a Naarth Indian office colleague. He says it shows why BaratnatyaM is so easy compared to Odissi.

I believe him.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:16 am

udeee babaaaaa What a Face this woman is possessed.

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=853

At this point I started thinking why not take the lyrics of Tagore and interpret them in Bharatnatyam idiom? Because I wanted to communicate the appeal of this great Art Form so that they can understand easily. Immediately I started making a Research work I found that some of the Tagore's songs are identical to the same ragas of Carnatic songs of Mutthuswamy Dikshitar and Tharaja. This inspired me very much to go ahead with the project Bharatnatyam to blend with Rabindranath Tagore's composition within the grammatical frame work of Bharatnatyam.

from elsewhere

Hailing from the musician's family of Bengal, Anjana Banerji a noted Exponent of Bharatnatyam achieved excellence during the past decade.

She obtained training from Guru Thankamoni Kutty from Calcutta, Late Guru K.N. Dakshinamoorty from Delhi and later to specialize Bharatnatyam she had taken further training from the doyen of the famous pandanallour style of bharatnatyam from Late Guru Kittappa Pillai and from Late Guru

Dancing is always a religious passion with Anjana and her dance forms entirely a part and parcel of Indian culture and heritage.

Anjana's major contribution is to popularize Bharatnatyam through the interpretation of the composition of Rabindranath Tagore with carnatic music and was honored in Rastrapati Bhawan by Ex President Shri R. Yenkataraman. Apart from it she portrayed many more poems of Rabindranath Tagore "Bandhu" and the famous poetry of famous Bangali Legendary poet Jibananda Das's "Banalata Sen".

Anjana Participated in the festival of India in U.K., Holland, Belgium, France and represented India in the 40th Independence day celebration and also represented India interpreting carnatic music with Tagore's song in Bbarat Bangladesh Festival in London.Anjana took her troupe from her institution of "Nritya Kutira to U.K. and Russia on state invitation.

Anjana received Kalakar Award, Nritya Shironioni Award, Nritya Choodamoni Award, AH India Critics Award, Mahila Shriomoni Award, Uttam Kumar Award, Emami Award apart from other awards from Chennai, Delhi and Calcutta.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:23 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I showed this youtube to a Naarth Indian office colleague. He says it shows why BaratnatyaM is so easy compared to Odissi.

I believe him.

actually, as anjana banerji, famous exponent of BN and recipient of numerous awards, says in the link i cite above, bengal does not have a classical dance form and, imo, those eager have to choose between kathak and odissi most of the times. the dance tagore popularized is also a mix of manipuri and kathak styles. i am not disagreeing with you but odissi is as rigorous, and oh ya, as classical! as BN.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:actually, as anjana banerji, famous exponent of BN and recipient of numerous awards..

...apart from other awards from Chennai, Delhi and Calcutta.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I showed this youtube to a Naarth Indian office colleague. He says it shows why BaratnatyaM is so easy compared to Odissi.

I believe him.

actually, as anjana banerji, famous exponent of BN and recipient of numerous awards, says in the link i cite above, bengal does not have a classical dance form and, imo, those eager have to choose between kathak and odissi most of the times. the dance tagore popularized is also a mix of manipuri and kathak styles. i am not disagreeing with you but odissi is as rigorous, and oh ya, as classical! as BN.

You missed the point in my post. It is not what I say...but what I "imply and what I do not say" is the point.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:26 pm

i am fiercely in love with anjana banerji. i want to marry her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:oh pleaseeeeeeee guys. cultural pohilistines all. this was a doordarshan special you just watched! here's another one.

Thank you - I just choked on my coffee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down