Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an interview with prof v balakrishnan

+3
swapna
goodcitizn
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

an interview with prof v balakrishnan Empty an interview with prof v balakrishnan

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:22 pm

in two parts:

http://questmagazine.in/with-the-erudite-natural-philosopher-part-i/

http://questmagazine.in/with-the-erudite-natural-philosopher-part-ii/

rashmun posted an article written by some woman who was complaining how the indian education system has failed kids and how she never learned how to do her taxes for example in school. i found that grating, for that is not the purpose of an education. it seemed ridiculously utilitarian, myopic, and lacking a grand vision as to what the purpose of an education is. balki's views are spot on:

prof balakrishnan wrote:o find some trends a little disturbing. You may find it strange when I say so, because I certainly don’t think that everyone should do science, or even that large numbers of people must do so. We only need a small number of very good people doing science. But we also need a small number of very good poets, musicians and so on, because it would be a dull world otherwise. If there were only scientists, engineers, doctors, and — God forbid — lawyers (I’m just kidding!), it wouldn’t be a very interesting world at all. What disturbs me is not the smaller numbers going to science, since we have a very large primary base. We have enough people to do everything. What saddens me is that, perhaps, there is a certain loss of idealism.

At the age when you are out of high school, and are about to start college, it should be a time when you are actually dreaming. It would be the time you haven’t figured out what you really want to do; confused and hopelessly idealistic, wanting to correct the world and change a lot of things. Most of you in any case won’t end up doing that, which is fine. You may want to become a musician, a great poet or artist, get the Nobel prize, find a cure for cancer, explore the universe — all these are wonderfully idealistic dreams. But I don’t find our children saying that at all. This year I read an interview with 11 students who topped the State Board 12th standard exam. No less than 7 of the students said that they wanted to do — guess what —chartered accountancy! Now that really worries me. They want to become auditors. Make no mistake, I consider auditing as noble a profession as any other. It is a necessary profession, or else there would certainly be even more financial fraud than there is right now. But — come on — dreaming of chartered accountancy at the age of 17 or 18? I’m saddened. You know what it really means? It means the person’s childhood has been lost, stolen, taken away, in some profound sense.

Our students are turning straight from small kids to ultra-realistic adults! There is no dreaming phase in between. The fact that they start with this goal of doing something like auditing means that there is a complete loss of idealism. If they wanted to go to the stars, but ended up becoming chartered accountants, that’s fine. That’s how real life is. But they want to start with the idea of becoming auditors, and that bothers me. Something is wrong. Of course people change, and if some of them don’t become auditors but actually become musicians or artists, it would be a great thing. I want to emphasise that the children are not at all to blame for this sad state of affairs, for this lack of idealism and vision, as they are forced to become adults far too soon by their parents and by society.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

an interview with prof v balakrishnan Empty Re: an interview with prof v balakrishnan

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:41 pm

there should be a combination of inculcating idealism as well as teaching utilitarian skills to students. for example, there is no harm in having a 'cooking' class in school where students are taught how to make cheese, or how to bake bread or cake. one north american friend told me he had learnt how to bake a cake as part of his study curriculum while in high school and i regretted the fact that i did not get a similar opportunity.

Back to top Go down

an interview with prof v balakrishnan Empty Re: an interview with prof v balakrishnan

Post by goodcitizn Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Rashmun wrote:there should be a combination of inculcating idealism as well as teaching utilitarian skills to students. for example, there is no harm in having a 'cooking' class in school where students are taught how to make cheese, or how to bake bread or cake. one north american friend  told me he had learnt how to bake a cake as part of his study curriculum while in high school and i regretted the fact that i did not get a similar opportunity.
You don't need a class on any of that nowadays. YouTube is sufficient. I can relate to what this guy is saying. I was forced into being an articled clerk in becoming a C.A. in my uncle's company. I did it for a few months and hated it. Thankfully GV (Mani Ratnam's brother) was also there so we had fun doing audit work at movie studios late at nights that involved meeting a lot of actors and actresses. I dropped out to pursue my masters in public and business administration that was more interesting to me. Kids need to have dreams of their own, not just be forced into fulfilling the dreams of their parents.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:12 pm

prof v balakrishnan wrote:I’m not really into movies, in the sense that the last movie I watched in a theatre was probably more than 30 years ago. The problem is that I’m extremely impatient when it comes to suspense, and I absolutely hate themes based on a misunderstanding between people —- when something can be cleared up right away with 30 seconds of clear explanation after getting everybody involved to come together, why wait for 90 minutes or whatever to do so! [Laughs] So the short video clips on YouTube are absolutely ideal for me, since you can get the gist of a movie in short painless clips that last 9 minutes or less! Strictly a personal opinion again: I’m sorry to say that I dislike Indian movies quite intensely because I find them too long, too hyperbolic, too overstated and naively over-acted, too verbose, needlessly laced with too many interludes of song and dance, and above all, almost totally lacking in any kind of subtlety, a real insult to one’s intelligence. Of course there must be exceptions, but finding them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I do have a few favourite movies — 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption, and Forrest Gump are among them.

hahaha! forrest gump?! ok!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in two parts:

rashmun posted an article written by some woman who was complaining how the indian education system has failed kids and how she never learned how to do her taxes for example in school. i found that grating, for that is not the purpose of an education. it seemed ridiculously utilitarian, myopic, and lacking a grand vision as to what the purpose of an education is. balki's views are spot on:

prof balakrishnan wrote:o find some trends a little disturbing. You may find it strange when I say so, because I certainly don’t think that everyone should do science, or even that large numbers of people must do so. We only need a small number of very good people doing science. But we also need a small number of very good poets, musicians and so on, because it would be a dull world otherwise. If there were only scientists, engineers, doctors, and — God forbid — lawyers (I’m just kidding!), it wouldn’t be a very interesting world at all. What disturbs me is not the smaller numbers going to science, since we have a very large primary base. We have enough people to do everything. What saddens me is that, perhaps, there is a certain loss of idealism.

At the age when you are out of high school, and are about to start college, it should be a time when you are actually dreaming. It would be the time you haven’t figured out what you really want to do; confused and hopelessly idealistic, wanting to correct the world and change a lot of things. Most of you in any case won’t end up doing that, which is fine. You may want to become a musician, a great poet or artist, get the Nobel prize, find a cure for cancer, explore the universe — all these are wonderfully idealistic dreams. But I don’t find our children saying that at all. This year I read an interview with 11 students who topped the State Board 12th standard exam. No less than 7 of the students said that they wanted to do — guess what —chartered accountancy! Now that really worries me. They want to become auditors. Make no mistake, I consider auditing as noble a profession as any other. It is a necessary profession, or else there would certainly be even more financial fraud than there is right now. But — come on — dreaming of chartered accountancy at the age of 17 or 18? I’m saddened. You know what it really means? It means the person’s childhood has been lost, stolen, taken away, in some profound sense.

Our students are turning straight from small kids to ultra-realistic adults! There is no dreaming phase in between. The fact that they start with this goal of doing something like auditing means that there is a complete loss of idealism. If they wanted to go to the stars, but ended up becoming chartered accountants, that’s fine. That’s how real life is. But they want to start with the idea of becoming auditors, and that bothers me. Something is wrong. Of course people change, and if some of them don’t become auditors but actually become musicians or artists, it would be a great thing. I want to emphasise that the children are not at all to blame for this sad state of affairs, for this lack of idealism and vision, as they are forced to become adults far too soon by their parents and by society.
do as I say, not as I do? not credible. worse, do as balakrishnan says? 

on idealism and vision in one's early years: cure cancer, check; explore the universe, check; but "get" the nobel prize?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:12 pm

I do not see the Start New Thread link/ How do I start a new thread. I have some information to post about the ransacking of Bengaluru Tamil library

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:I do not see the Start New Thread link/ How do I start a new thread. I have some information to post about the ransacking of Bengaluru Tamil library

I used a script to find your ip and blocked "New thread" button.

Anyway what r u going post ? Some Karnatakans removing some hindi book from the Tamil Library?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:35 am

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in two parts:

do as I say, not as I do? not credible. worse, do as balakrishnan says? 

on idealism and vision in one's early years: cure cancer, check; explore the universe, check; but "get" the nobel prize?

I'm sorry I did not understand your post. You're obviously trying to imply something but I didn't get it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:46 am

let me say it unequivocally. 

your endorsement of balakrishnan's enthusiasm for young people dreaming, exploring, and exercising their idealism as they enter college contradicts the satisfaction you expressed here for georgia tech being the venue of one young person's (yp's) education. 

since I don't know much about yp, I'll withdraw my words if yp's heart is set - I don't know why or how - on acquiring skills in mechanical or industrial engineering, or perhaps, lab techniques in biomolecular processing. I did say "skills," not "an education."

in other words, this post of yours is not credible.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:57 am

too much speculation from too little info! she's not attending GT, but i haven't changed my opinion about GT and it certainly doesn't contradict my endorsement of balki's views. we know where she's going but she's still trying to figure out what she wants to major in. we've told her being conflicted isn't a bad thing.

perhaps at the heart of my disagreement with you is not accepting your narrow view that engineering is a utilitarian profession not compatible with exercising creativity and abstract thinking.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:13 am

Here are the names of two engineers you may want to look up -- Sadi Carnot and Josiah Willard Gibbs.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:there should be a combination of inculcating idealism as well as teaching utilitarian skills to students. for example, there is no harm in having a 'cooking' class in school where students are taught how to make cheese, or how to bake bread or cake. one north american friend  told me he had learnt how to bake a cake as part of his study curriculum while in high school and i regretted the fact that i did not get a similar opportunity.

One way to get such opportunity is to walk in kitchen while your mother is cooking food and learn from her --- you don't need a class in school for that.

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

One way to get such opportunity is to walk in kitchen while your mother is cooking food and learn from her --- you don't need a class in school   for that.  
good suggestion, seva.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:20 pm

swapna wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

One way to get such opportunity is to walk in kitchen while your mother is cooking food and learn from her --- you don't need a class in school   for that.  
good suggestion, seva.

that's  your sistah poking, we gather..
anyways...no opportunity cuz you did not qualify? nothing new there..loser Sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:58 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:too much speculation from too little info! she's not attending GT, but i haven't changed my opinion about GT and it certainly doesn't contradict my endorsement of balki's views. we know where she's going but she's still trying to figure out what she wants to major in. we've told her being conflicted isn't a bad thing.

perhaps at the heart of my disagreement with you is not accepting your narrow view that engineering is a utilitarian profession not compatible with exercising creativity and abstract thinking.
I used only two pieces of info:

1. that you were pleased, and probably excited, that yp was offered admission at georgia tech, which is an engineering school, not a complete university where one can engage in the kind of wide-ranging exploration that balakrishnan is so correctly in favour of;

2. that you now "completely agree" - not your words, but huzefa chaprasi's - with balakrishnan's views which "completely contradict" your earlier views on embracing the technician's training one may receive at georgia tech.

I'm not talking about which college yp is attending - that's not relevant here - I'm talking about the sudden change in your value system.

you can explain that without introducing red herrings like carnot and gibbs, can't you? and arguing that engineering is not necessarily a utilitarian profession. 

engineering is indeed a utilitarian profession, and an exciting and creative one, but you're confusing that with the fact that many people who practice it are also interested in other endeavors such as art, architecture, music, and literature.

regardless, I believe that georgia tech is a utilitarian, technician's training ground, and may be suitable for some people, but not for people who want the kind of education balakrishnan has in mind.

shamit kachru and ed witten. beat that.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:20 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:too much speculation from too little info! she's not attending GT, but i haven't changed my opinion about GT and it certainly doesn't contradict my endorsement of balki's views. we know where she's going but she's still trying to figure out what she wants to major in. we've told her being conflicted isn't a bad thing.

Swapie has a narrow (minded) view of any institution with a name Technology. I have seen him(her) argue time and again. Lawrence Institute of Tech changed its name to Lawrence Univ of tech, and Ryerson Polytech to Ryerson Univ. Ok these are 3rd tier universities. This is the same (Unique) arrogant attitude shown by Harvard faculty and U of Chicago faculty towards MIT or Northwestern Resp. I can see Swapie has adapted THIS attiude just bcz his YP went to Yale and U Chicago and the field chosen by his YP.

Non economic graduates MIT, GT, Caltech or Carniegie INSTITUTE of TECH or Case Inst of Tech are not inferior to those coming from "Universities" (BTW, Sloan's school is ranked 3rd 4th in economics consistently).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:06 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Swapie has a narrow (minded) view of any institution with a name Technology. I have seen him(her) argue time and again.  Lawrence Institute of Tech changed its name to Lawrence Univ of tech, and Ryerson Polytech to Ryerson Univ. Ok these are 3rd tier universities.  This is the same (Unique) arrogant attitude shown by Harvard faculty and U of Chicago faculty towards MIT or Northwestern Resp.  I can see Swapie has adapted THIS attiude just bcz his YP went to Yale and U Chicago and the field chosen by his YP.  

Non economic graduates MIT, GT, Caltech or Carniegie INSTITUTE of TECH or Case Inst of Tech are not inferior to those coming from "Universities" (BTW, Sloan's school is ranked 3rd 4th in economics consistently).

science is not for everybody, i am afraid!
post-internet, for the millennials, most of these incestuous clubs with excessive inbreeding are largely empty *perungAya dabbAs*.
*asafoetida tin boxes.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:32 am

Swapie has a narrow (minded) view of any institution with a name Technology. I have seen him(her) argue time and again.  Lawrence Institute of Tech changed its name to Lawrence Univ of tech, and Ryerson Polytech to Ryerson Univ. Ok these are 3rd tier universities.  This is the same (Unique) arrogant attitude shown by Harvard faculty and U of Chicago faculty towards MIT or Northwestern Resp.  I can see Swapie has adapted THIS attiude just bcz his YP went to Yale and U Chicago and the field chosen by his YP.  

m.i.t.'s department of economics is ranked #1 in economics, along with chicago, harvard, and princeton. I have not seen or heard of any ranking of m.i.t.'s sloan school of management in economics. could you please post a link to any such ranking?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:39 am

i wonder why these institutions include the word "technology" in their names.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:46 am

"adopted," not "adapted."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:19 pm

swapna wrote:

my foot. Go check your own dictionary and Wren and Martin.

So tell me: Who are all posting on their Employer's time ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:20 pm

swapna wrote:

my foot.  Go check your own dictionary and Wren and Martin.

So tell me:  Who are all posting on their Employer's time ?

whoa..wren and martin..are these the ones propa is curious about? Wink rofl

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
prof v balakrishnan wrote:I’m not really into movies, in the sense that the last movie I watched in a theatre was probably more than 30 years ago. The problem is that I’m extremely impatient when it comes to suspense, and I absolutely hate themes based on a misunderstanding between people —- when something can be cleared up right away with 30 seconds of clear explanation after getting everybody involved to come together, why wait for 90 minutes or whatever to do so! [Laughs] So the short video clips on YouTube are absolutely ideal for me, since you can get the gist of a movie in short painless clips that last 9 minutes or less! Strictly a personal opinion again: I’m sorry to say that I dislike Indian movies quite intensely because I find them too long, too hyperbolic, too overstated and naively over-acted, too verbose, needlessly laced with too many interludes of song and dance, and above all, almost totally lacking in any kind of subtlety, a real insult to one’s intelligence. Of course there must be exceptions, but finding them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I do have a few favourite movies — 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption, and Forrest Gump are among them.

hahaha! forrest gump?! ok!
Is this guy saying anything significantly new in his lengthy interviews (circa Sept. 2015)?

http://www.geocities.ws/lamberdar/philosopher.html
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:18 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
swapna wrote:

my foot.  Go check your own dictionaryand Wren and Martin.

Jeez, I forgot to mention that samiyar you are er....an accomplice   affraid hahaha in motivating me to ask me this with your "phun" implied in what's highlighted above

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:23 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
swapna wrote:

my foot.  Go check your own dictionaryand Wren and Martin.

Jeez, I forgot to mention that samiyar you are er....an accomplice   affraid hahaha in motivating me to ask me this with your "phun" implied in what's highlighted above

Even the adopted one of the Queen (of England) is not adept at adapting to the changing times.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down