Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the man who knew ramanujan

5 posters

Go down

the man who knew ramanujan Empty the man who knew ramanujan

Post by swapna Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:24 pm

I doubt if anyone knew ramanujan well, but he was a fascinating man. robert kanigel, who wrote ramanujan's biography knew his life, from his childhood in kumbakonam, to his last days, back in madras. hardy at cambridge knew his mathematics, so would manjul bhargava, the young professor at princeton, who is the 20014 fields medal winner. 

but the person who knows r's mathematics - special areas of number theory - best might be the japanese-american, ken ono, an accomplished mathematician, and professor at emory university, atlanta. here's info about ono:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160519-ken-ono-mathematician-inspired-by-ramanujan/

(I disagree wirh ono's comparison of himself wirh r, for the latter was never internally "screwed up" as ono was in his early years; r was inspired, passionate, focused on, and driven by a quest for mathematical beauty and knowledge that was beyond himself. he was perhaps a bit "screwed up" by his tb caste.)

ono and bhargava were consultants or advisors to the producers and director of the new (2016), biographical movie of ramanujan, "the man who knew infinity. the british actor dev patel plays r, and jeremy irons, hardy. I think they are good choices.

the movie is now showing in dallas, but not in many theatres. I haven't watched it yet, but hope to, soon.

the person I am most grateful to, for shining light on r's lall-too-brief life is robert kanigel, the aurhor of "the man who knew infinity." I hope the new movie rewards him adequately.

swapna

Back to top Go down

the man who knew ramanujan Empty Re: the man who knew ramanujan

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:30 pm

Is your keyboard letter 't' stuck? And you end up typing 'r'?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:32 pm

swapna wrote:I doubt if anyone knew ramanujan well, but he was a fascinating man. robert kanigel, who wrote ramanujan's biography knew his life, from his childhood in kumbakonam, to his last days, back in madras. hardy at cambridge knew his mathematics, so would manjul bhargava, the young professor at princeton, who is the 20014 fields medal winner. 

but the person who knows r's mathematics - special areas of number theory - best might be the japanese-american, ken ono, an accomplished mathematician, and professor at emory university, atlanta. here's info about ono:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160519-ken-ono-mathematician-inspired-by-ramanujan/

(I disagree wirh ono's comparison of himself wirh r, for the latter was never internally "screwed up" as ono was in his early years; r was inspired, passionate, focused on, and driven by a quest for mathematical beauty and knowledge that was beyond himself. he was perhaps a bit "screwed up" by his tb caste.)

ono and bhargava were consultants or advisors to the producers and director of the new (2016), biographical movie of ramanujan, "the man who knew infinity. the british actor dev patel plays r, and jeremy irons, hardy. I think they are good choices.

the movie is now showing in dallas, but not in many theatres. I haven't watched it yet, but hope to, soon.

the person I am most grateful to, for shining light on r's lall-too-brief life is robert kanigel, the aurhor of "the man who knew infinity." I hope the new movie rewards him adequately.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:33 pm

one other person who knows r's math intimately is this gentleman:

http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~berndt/

---
i think ramanujan was or had become (in england) internally screwed up. for one, he attempted suicide when he was in england. he was, as i recall, arrested but the cops let him go after Hardy intervened.

i also vaguely recall one or two other tidbits about r in Kanigel's book which made me think he was or had become a little nutty. something about the amount of pain r was experiencing in his body and his belief that this had some relationship with cartesian coordinates.

it was very unfortunate that r was unable to bring his wife along when he went to england. she would have been a great stabilizing force in his life in england.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:05 am

Hellsangel wrote:Is your keyboard letter 't' stuck? And you end up typing 'r'?
He suffers from a chronic medical condition called kayalvititis.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:02 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Is your keyboard letter 't' stuck? And you end up typing 'r'?
He suffers from a chronic medical condition called kayalvititis.
and here i thought that it is just early stages of alzheimer's.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Rashmun wrote:one other person who knows r's math intimately is this gentleman:

---
i think ramanujan was or had become (in england) internally screwed up. for one, he attempted suicide when he was in england. he was, as i recall, arrested but the cops let him go after Hardy intervened.

i also vaguely recall one or two other tidbits about r in Kanigel's book which made me think he was or had become a little nutty. something about the amount of pain r was experiencing in his body and his belief that this had some relationship with cartesian coordinates.

it was very unfortunate that r was unable to bring his wife along when he went to england. she would have been a great stabilizing force in his life in england.

does sucking on the gaptoothed1's limp pecker repeatedly cause 1 to write like him? who the fuck is lowercase r, you unoriginal douche?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Rashmun wrote:one other person who knows r's math intimately is this gentleman:

---

it was very unfortunate that r was unable to bring his wife along when he went to england. she would have been a great stabilizing force in his life in england.,
thanks for the link, rashmun; I shall read the article.

kanigel has recounted an incident in which ramanujan became upset with p.c. mahalanobis, who would later found the indian statistical institute, and serve as jawaharlal's advisor and chief of the planning commission. m was working on his ph.d. in physics at cambridge at that time.  

i don't remember the details now, but shall look them up in "infinity." I think mahalanobis has said that ramanujan's annoyance was caused by his perception that mahalanobis had slighted him in some way that, in m's view, was insignificant.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down