Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierce Morgan v India

+2
southindian
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

Pierce Morgan v India  Empty Pierce Morgan v India

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:33 am

https://www.google.com/amp/m.ndtv.com/india-news/virender-sehwag-epic-response-to-piers-morgans-tweet-on-indias-olympic-celebration-1449911%3famp=1&akamai-rum=off?client=safari
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Pierce Morgan v India  Empty Re: Pierce Morgan v India

Post by southindian Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:37 am

After his retirement, I'm discovering the witty Mr Sehwag. He also gave a befitting reply to that idiot Shoba De.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:38 am

Sehwag is being foolish and so is the title of your thread. Piers Morgan is not against India, rather in his own way he is pointing out that a country with 1.2 billion people ought to win more medals at the Olympics than a silver and a bronze.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:45 am

Rashmun wrote:Sehwag is being foolish and so is the title of your thread. Piers Morgan is not against India, rather in his own way he is pointing out that a country with 1.2 billion people ought to win more medals at the Olympics than a silver and a bronze.

no doubt, india should win more medals, but pierce morgan also has a poorly informed view of why indians are celebrating. it is not the number of medals per se, but the fact that it is women who have brought home the two medals. in a country that treats women poorly in general, the two medals that these women have won have a far greater social significance than the many medals that british women have brought home. the medal that sakshi won in particular is enormously important, given that she hails from the state with the poorest sex ratio in the country. it's a massive inspiration for indian women in general and haryanavi women in particular. i have no doubt that morgan is completely clueless about all this.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:46 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Sehwag is being foolish and so is the title of your thread. Piers Morgan is not against India, rather in his own way he is pointing out that a country with 1.2 billion people ought to win more medals at the Olympics than a silver and a bronze.

no doubt, india should win more medals, but pierce morgan also has a poorly informed view of why indians are celebrating. it is not the number of medals per se, but the fact that it is women who have brought home the two medals. in a country that treats women poorly in general, the two medals that these women have won have a far greater social significance than the many medals that british women have brought home. the medal that sakshi won in particular is enormously important, given that she hails from the state with the poorest sex ratio in the country. it's a massive inspiration for indian women in general and haryanavi women in particular. i have no doubt that morgan is completely clueless about all this.

u are right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:04 am

piers morgan is a typical english asshole toffer that got jeered and kicked out of america when they tired of his uppity, preachy bullshit. guess he's focusing on 3rd world countries now.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:42 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/m.ndtv.com/india-news/virender-sehwag-epic-response-to-piers-morgans-tweet-on-indias-olympic-celebration-1449911%3famp=1&akamai-rum=off?client=safari
olympic medals are - should be - irrelevant to india at this stage in its development. I don't grudge anyone the celebrations, but sports are nothing we should spend our resources on. what we should spend on: education, health care, developing the manufacturing sector of the economy, energy, esp renewables, bringing freedom and justice to all.

if we grow the economy, there is no doubt that the number of olympic medals won will rise naturally with our economy. I know that people will claim that we can have both. I say no; what we spend on sports, we cannot spend on renewable energy, etc. 

we are in a situation where every bit counts. in sports, celebrate victories, but every indian should be on his own. no spending of tax money on sports, please.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:00 pm

indians in india don't live their lives so that distant indian-americans can feel proud of india, and good about themseves, merely because of their connections, however tenuous, with india.

let's see you compete with the chinese and the koreans for college admissions in the u.s. without complaining.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:07 pm

swapna wrote:indians in india don't live their lives so that distant indian-americans can feel proud of india, and good about themseves, merely because of their connections, however tenuous, with india.

let's see you compete with the chinese and the koreans for college admissions in the u.s. without complaining.

when indian americans express positive emotions about indians winning olympic medals, their connection to india is tenuous. however, when you want to criticize indian americans about their religious and caste prejudices, their connections are not so tenuous, and you readily ascribe all their undesirable traits to their indianness. i find that very interesting.

in any case, my original post was more about criticizing pierce morgan than expressing pride about india; it's interesting that you interpreted it that way though.

i am not competing with anyone for college admissions. i am done with college.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:let's see you compete with the chinese and the koreans for college admissions in the u.s. without cse, my original post was more about 
i am not competing with anyone for college admissions. i am done with college.
I know that it's you, not your college-age child, who's complaining. you are competing on your child's behalf, technical details notwithstanding.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:indians in india don't live their lives so that distant indian-americans can feel proud of india, and good about themseves, merely because of their connections, however tenuous, with india.

when you want to criticize indian americans about their religious and caste prejudices, their connections are not so tenuous, and you readily ascribe all their undesirable traits to their indianness. i find that very interesting.
no, not to their indiannness, but largely to their hinduness. after all, caste is a hindu invention, and it's largely they who propagated it, all these millennia. nearly all the ills of india are caste-based. 

I do not claim that all hindus are religipn- or caste-conscious, but an alarming percent of the highly-educated are, perhaps as much as 75%.

I've been here at this site, such, and its parent for over fifteen years, and I make inferences based on my observations.

still, I'm optimistic about india and its caste-based ills; as freedoms, the entrepreneurial spirit, incomes, and the free market take over, the importance of caste will diminish. but it's very.slow, and we are missing important opportunities.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:49 pm

It will be interesting if Carvaka can analyze and plot Olympic medals won by each nation versus its per capita investment / expenditure / budget in sports (including perhaps also the money spent on education and health on per capita basis). 
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:35 pm

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

when you want to criticize indian americans about their religious and caste prejudices, their connections are not so tenuous, and you readily ascribe all their undesirable traits to their indianness. i find that very interesting.
no, not to their indiannness, but largely to their hinduness. after all, caste is a hindu invention, and it's largely they who propagated it, all these millennia. nearly all the ills of india are caste-based. 

I do not claim that all hindus are religipn- or caste-conscious, but an alarming percent of the highly-educated are, perhaps as much as 75%.

I've been here at this site, such, and its parent for over fifteen years, and I make inferences based on my observations.

still, I'm optimistic about india and its caste-based ills; as freedoms, the entrepreneurial spirit, incomes, and the free market take over, the importance of caste will diminish. but it's very.slow, and we are missing important opportunities.

mbawahahaha.. observations... hahaha ...excuse me...hahaha ...all those ill-conceived accusations generated out of hatred, you deduce from observations that are totally founded on predisposed, prejudiced and bigoted perceptions, and of course, all derived reading rashmun's posts! and that is more than 75% I bet..

oh, boy! am I not glad you ain't got nothing to do with science, oh, yeah!

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down