Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banana Republic: Professor arrested for asking why Shivaji's birthday is celebrated twice

Go down

Banana Republic: Professor arrested for asking why Shivaji's birthday is celebrated twice Empty Banana Republic: Professor arrested for asking why Shivaji's birthday is celebrated twice

Post by Guest Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 am

Questioning why Chhatrapati Shivaji's birthday is celebrated twice a year has landed a Khopoli professor in trouble. Sunil Waghmare (38) who is head of department, commerce, at KMC College, Khalapur, in Raigad district was arrested on Thursday after he made the comment on his WhatsApp group. Owing to the lack of clarity on the Maratha warrior king's exact date of birth, the occasion is celebrated twice a year, in February and March.

This year, the second celebration was on March 15, Wednesday, which is when Waghmare made the comment late at night around 11.30 during a conversation on WhatsApp. He was instantly reprimanded by the group admin Amol Nagargoje, who also teaches in the same college. Later that night, Nagargoje deleted the group altogether. News about the conversation, however, had spread through the college by the next day. Waghmare was attacked by students and professors and the police rushed to the campus to shield him. Later, however, they arrested him. A case has been registered against Waghmare under Section 295a (deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious beliefs) of the Indian
Penal Code.

Prof Nagargoje, who had registered a complaint against Waghmare, said, "He is senior faculty and I know him since 2012. That night on WhatsApp, when he made the comment, I asked him to take back his words but he refused. So, I decided to delete the group altogether. On Friday, when I was in the staff room, I got to know that he was attacked. Later, because I was the admin of the group, I was asked by the police to register the complaint." The police have seized the phones of both Waghmare and Nagargoje. "We have sealed the phones and are probing the case currently," said inspector Sawata Shinde of Khopoli Police Station.

On Saturday, Waghmare was produced before the court of the Judicial Magistrate first class where he was remanded in judicial custody. His lawyer applied for bail, but the bail application was rejected citing life-risk outside jail.

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/whatsapp-remark-chhatrapati-shivaji-birthday-khopoli-professor-sunil-waghmare-news/18086177

Back to top Go down

Banana Republic: Professor arrested for asking why Shivaji's birthday is celebrated twice Empty Re: Banana Republic: Professor arrested for asking why Shivaji's birthday is celebrated twice

Post by Guest Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 am

Update: the professor has been released on bail. however, his college has suspended him.

----
A PROFESSOR arrested for questioning on social media why Chhatrapati Shivaji’s birthday was celebrated twice a year was released on bail Monday. He has been suspended from his position in his college.
The professor was arrested on March 16 soon after he was attacked for his comment by a mob of students and teachers of a suburban college, as well as people who claimed to be followers of the warrior king.
Sunil Waghmare, a commerce professor at KMC College, Khalapur in Raigad, had made the comment on a WhatsApp group on March 15. The birth anniversary of Shivaji is celebrated in February as well as in March owing to ambiguity over the warrior king’s birth date. Members of the group then asked for an apology from Waghmare, who refused to oblige.
By midnight, the WhatsApp group was deleted but a screenshot of his comment went viral causing an uproar on campus the next day. Waghmare was attacked on campus and the police had to intervene.

Among the attackers were students, teachers and locals from different political parties,” said a senior police officer. The police that reached the campus to shield Waghmare arrested him following pressure from the attackers.
Arrested under under section 295 A of the Indian Penal Code for outraging religious feelings or class by insulting religion or religious beliefs, Waghmare was denied bail. Waghmare reportedly refused to lodge a complaint against his attackers.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/chhatrapati-shivaji-post-controversy-professor-gets-bail-college-suspends-him-4578135/

Back to top Go down