Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inclusive and tolerant India?

4 posters

Go down

Inclusive and tolerant India? Empty Inclusive and tolerant India?

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:12 am

The two most common sets of words that I hear these days come from Hindus and Muslims, all of them well meaning. Hindus in India keep telling me that “Hinduism is an inclusive, tolerant religion” and Muslims all over the world keep telling me that “Islam is a religion of peace.” Now, no doubt, they are largely right. There is much in history to suggest that Hinduism is an inclusive and tolerant religion, and that Islam puts a lot of stress on peace: the basic greeting of Islam, salaam-alai-kum, means ‘peace be on you.’

And yet, if we stop with these words, we are either being wilfully blind or displaying a remarkable lack of awareness and self-criticism. Because, very often, these words are not redeemed by action. Anyone who reads the newspapers today can see that not all Hindus are inclusive and not all Muslims are peace-loving.
One cannot help noticing that if Hinduism was always inclusive and tolerant, then the recent controversy over Rahul Gandhi’s religious beliefs would not have occurred. One also cannot help noticing that if Islam was equated solely with peace, groups of Muslims would not be shooting at each other in almost every third Muslim country in the world.

Let’s face it: why should the fact of Rahul Gandhi’s religious beliefs — or, for that matter, Jawaharlal Nehru’s agnosticism — become a matter of discussion in an India full of inclusive and tolerant Hindus? Let alone the fact that the oldest community of Christians in India can be dated back to 2,000 years, a truly inclusive and tolerant Hindu would not expect other Indians to obtain a ‘Hindu’ religious certificate in order to run for office. Similarly, surely, such a Hindu would be able to accept not just Indian Muslims, who have contributed to India for about 1,500 years, but also monuments, such as the Taj Mahal, associated with the so-called Muslim period of India. I must say that I was surrounded by really tolerant and inclusive Hindus in the India in which I grew up, and I must add that their numbers seem to be greatly reduced today.
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/words-that-are-emptied-of-meaning/article21381903.ece

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Inclusive and tolerant India? Empty Re: Inclusive and tolerant India?

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:16 am

AHMEDABAD, India — The attack begins with a Hindu man, wearing a bright shirt and a white scarf, stepping off a motorbike carrying a long iron pickax. He pounces on an older Muslim man, attacking him from behind and striking him over and over.

“Babu, save my life! Save my life!” the Muslim man screams. He crumples to the ground, and a few seconds later, after several more blows from the pickax, he cries, “I’m dead, I’m dead.” He soon is.

The killing was captured on video — at the attacker’s request. He had his nephew film the entire episode with a phone and proudly posted it on social media, bragging that he had killed the man to protect his Hindu community from Muslim jihadists.

India’s biggest television channels aired the video, and it jumped at light speed across the country on Twitter, Facebook and WhatsApp, immediately stirring tensions. The Hindu-Muslim fault line in India can be very raw, and in recent years several Muslims have been lynched by Hindu mobs.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/world/asia/india-muslim-killing-video.html

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Shyam Sundar Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 pm

You posted this at 7:12 AM this morning.

Did you post this message from your office?

Did you do that by using the computer at the workplace? That computer is your employer's property.

Did you post this message while you were supposed to be working?

This is bizzarre.

When everyone is hurrying up to get to work in the morning, the last thing any sane person will be thinking  about will be what was published in  an opinion column in a newspaper back home.

Shyam Sundar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 pm

I posted it from my home in my own time. Now go fuck yourself.

PS: most folks are used to reading news paper in morning

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Shyam Sundar Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:39 am

confuzzled dude wrote:I posted it from my home in my own time. Now go fuck yourself.

PS: most folks are used to reading news paper  in morning
2 Timothy 2:16-18King James Version (KJV)
16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

I am glad that you are using your computer and posting from home.
You are learning to be responsible.

However, You have a long way to go.
First of all, stop whining.

Trump is our President.
Like it or not, He will make America great again.
He is a courageous man. 
He is going to be the President for one more term.
Better deal with it.

Shyam Sundar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:16 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
The two most common sets of words that I hear these days come from Hindus and Muslims, all of them well meaning. Hindus in India keep telling me that “Hinduism is an inclusive, tolerant religion” and Muslims all over the world keep telling me that “Islam is a religion of peace.” Now, no doubt, they are largely right. There is much in history to suggest that Hinduism is an inclusive and tolerant religion, and that Islam puts a lot of stress on peace: the basic greeting of Islam, salaam-alai-kum, means ‘peace be on you.’

And yet, if we stop with these words, we are either being wilfully blind or displaying a remarkable lack of awareness and self-criticism. Because, very often, these words are not redeemed by action. Anyone who reads the newspapers today can see that not all Hindus are inclusive and not all Muslims are peace-loving.
One cannot help noticing that if Hinduism was always inclusive and tolerant, then the recent controversy over Rahul Gandhi’s religious beliefs would not have occurred. One also cannot help noticing that if Islam was equated solely with peace, groups of Muslims would not be shooting at each other in almost every third Muslim country in the world.

Let’s face it: why should the fact of Rahul Gandhi’s religious beliefs — or, for that matter, Jawaharlal Nehru’s agnosticism — become a matter of discussion in an India full of inclusive and tolerant Hindus? Let alone the fact that the oldest community of Christians in India can be dated back to 2,000 years, a truly inclusive and tolerant Hindu would not expect other Indians to obtain a ‘Hindu’ religious certificate in order to run for office. Similarly, surely, such a Hindu would be able to accept not just Indian Muslims, who have contributed to India for about 1,500 years, but also monuments, such as the Taj Mahal, associated with the so-called Muslim period of India. I must say that I was surrounded by really tolerant and inclusive Hindus in the India in which I grew up, and I must add that their numbers seem to be greatly reduced today.
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/words-that-are-emptied-of-meaning/article21381903.ece
Hinduism is inclusive and tolerant by nature and according to its roots. Whatever non-exclusiveness and intolerance is seen these days in Hinduism has merely crept into it from other religions, mainly as a reaction on the part of Hinduism to attacks on itself by other faiths / religions.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:08 am

Hindus are unusually tolerant to the extent that their core culture has been buried under a superimposition of alien monomaniac linear thinking. Any reaction these days is related to this uncomfortable and often incompatible mixture that has created a psychological churning in bhaiyyas.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:27 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hinduism is inclusive and tolerant by nature and according to its roots. Whatever non-exclusiveness and intolerance is seen these days in Hinduism has merely crept into it from other religions, mainly as a reaction on the part of Hinduism to attacks on itself by other faiths / religions.
Who do we blame for caste based intolerance, Seva ji?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Who do we blame for caste based intolerance, Seva ji?
Unlike in the case of caste, which has divisions / conflicts because of the socio-economic issues, religion based intolerance has at its heart people thinking of their religious superiority and ultimate (religious) duty to convert others to their faith.

Hinduism, in the beginning (before other people started trampling over it), had no such issues,
"O Agni...each fault done in a village or in forest, in society or mind, each sinful act that we have committed to Shudra or Vaishya or by preventing a religious act, even of that sin, you are the expiation..." Yajur Veda (Kanda 1, Prapathaka 8, Hymn i.8.3.d)
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down