Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tohfa

Go down

tohfa Empty tohfa

Post by Guest Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:10 pm

reposting with a correct word and better link coz the earlier link froze ... 

this was, i think, the first movie i sorta understood when I watched it, but really understood years later when i played it back in my memory. 

let's see if my memory is right.... will watch it again now (if it interests me)

Jaya Prada (JP) and Sridevi (S) are two sisters living by themselves, JP being older and responsible, and S being playful, etc. Jitendra (J) is their neighbor who has returned after a long time. Both sisters fall in love with him. He falls for S. Songs and imaginations later, JP confides in S how much she loves him. S was gonna confide the same, but JP's confession comes earlier, so for the sake of her sister's happiness, S hurriedly marries the goon of the town Shakti Kapoor (SK) and runs away, breaking J's heart who later marries JP. While on that run-away, he murders someone, and dhan te naan, interval. many years later they all cross paths again ... watch the rest or continue reading if you don't care for spoilers

years later J is a famous lawyer and meets S. She has a son, SK is in jail for murder and despises the son claiming it's not his coz they never consummated their marriage as he was arrested right away the wedding. Meanwhile JP is trying hard to get preggers but is told she can't be. She pays Aruna Irani to conceive a child for her that she could adopt.  Meanwhile J does the math and realizes the son is his, and NOW he knows why she ran away. JP at some point finds it out too. Turns out S had sacrificed her love to give J as a tohfa (gift) to her sister in return of all the sacrifices she made in raising her. She didn't want JP to make yet another sacrifice. At some point they find out that Aruna Irani is faking it, has no baby in her tummy. JP faints and it turns out she is preggers. She dies giving birth to her baby but is gonna die soon. In her deathbed, JP blesses the couple and asks them to raise her baby (her gift to them). Also, at some point S kills SK, but J saves her in court.

Let's see how correct my memory is. I had watched it only once when it was released back in 83-84 or so ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lzuo64hUWY

Back to top Go down

tohfa Empty Re: tohfa

Post by Guest Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:51 pm

can't believe i had originally planned to go to the mall and finish my shopping, but instead i ate like 10 hershey kisses (could be 15) and 2 bowls of veggie puffs and watched this tear jerker all over again. 

But wow, my memory was right after like 33 years of it... the main story atleast. with only minor variations 

first of all a BIG CRINGE on how J almost molested S initially... 

J's mom had already proposed to JP, and hence she was excited. J had already proposed to S, and hence she was excited. that's why they were trying to confide in each other, with JP going first. 

I had forgotten that S stayed and talked full drama to all before leaving. 

Also, after she left, JP told J that she had told S about the proposal, so he already knew why S went away (to sacrifice herself for her sis), and that's why the narrater Kadar Khan urges him to marry JP and keep S's wishes. 

In my memory all these years, i thought it was very subtle that SK knew how the son is not his. But looks like it was highly verbalized by him. The 10-year-old me had not got it then. Man, the 10 year olds now are much much smarter. 

Aruna Irani wasn't faking the pregnancy. She really thought she was doing a good deed for JP. Bad memory on my part. 

I had forgotten that JP suspects S of trying to have an affair with J by the end of it. 

I had remembered some of the unimportant scenes, but forgotten most. 

Anyhoos... let me see if the malls are open and DO something BETTER with my time. 

Or idk... i am feeling all kinds of blues. Feeling depressed, eating chocolate, feeling MORE depressed. and nauseous to from all that chocolate.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum