Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild Wild Country

2 posters

Go down

Wild Wild Country Empty Wild Wild Country

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm

well, i thought i am clicking on yet another episode of Forensic Evidence. The starting seemed a bit odd, and a bit too scenic for the production, but i rolled along with it, working on the other laptop, distracted. After 5 minutes, I was like - wait why is no one killed yet. Then I realized i have clicked on Wild Wild Country. About a town called Antelope in the 80s, and it looked interesting so i continued watching... 

It's about Rajneesh and his cult! They call him Bhagwan, pronounced a bit differently. I paused at 10 minutes to make this post, but I am watching this, atleast the first episode.

Back to top Go down

Wild Wild Country Empty Re: Wild Wild Country

Post by Idéfix Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

That cult pulled some really crazy shit, including poisoning people to win an election. Should make for an entertaining show!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:11 am

(the original series name i was intending to watch is forensic files)

I ended up watching all 6 episodes of it. A must watch. I was forever conflicted whether to commend her chutzpah, agree with their logic, wonder how it would have turned out if they were wiser and not so much in your face so soon, and most importantly, cringe at her criminality.

Looks like initially they were just brazen but followed the laws. After being bombed and pushed a lot, they turned criminal. But it's hard to tell if they would have turned criminal regardless, and if the gut instincts of the locals was right about them.

At the same time, having watched the republican politics here for so long, this is yet another view into that small town white conservative Christian republican, and their super low tolerance for anything that doesn't align with them. How they would brag about say, owning a gun, but if you acquired more guns than them, they would cry how your intentions are no good. How they would complain about others bending laws, but would do the same things with a great sense of self righteousness. They will first try to see if you are breaking the law, but if you are not, they begin raising the questions if you are still right... At the same time, you do feel for them once things went out of hands.

All in all, they were evenly matched it seems, and maybe that's why the name wild wild country.

side note on how while these people fought so much in the US, they had to flee India. makes you again be in awe of the power of Indira Gandhi all over again (whether it's good or bad). I wonder if Osho would have moved back to India in 1985 if she was still alive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:39 am

rasāsvāda wrote:(the original series name i was intending to watch is forensic files)

I ended up watching all 6 episodes of it. A must watch. I was forever conflicted whether to commend her chutzpah, agree with their logic, wonder how it would have turned out if they were wiser and not so much in your face so soon, and most importantly, cringe at her criminality.

Looks like initially they were just brazen but followed the laws. After being bombed and pushed a lot, they turned criminal. But it's hard to tell if they would have turned criminal regardless, and if the gut instincts of the locals was right about them.

At the same time, having watched the republican politics here for so long, this is yet another view into that small town white conservative Christian republican, and their super low tolerance for anything that doesn't align with them. How they would brag about say, owning a gun, but if you acquired more guns than them, they would cry how your intentions are no good. How they would complain about others bending laws, but would do the same things with a great sense of self righteousness. They will first try to see if you are breaking the law, but if you are not, they begin raising the questions if you are still right... At the same time, you do feel for them once things went out of hands.

All in all, they were evenly matched it seems, and maybe that's why the name wild wild country.

side note on how while these people fought so much in the US, they had to flee India. makes you again be in awe of the power of Indira Gandhi all over again (whether it's good or bad). I wonder if Osho would have moved back to India in 1985 if she was still alive.
Interesting, I didn't know all that backstory. Adding it to my list now.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Strange coincidence. A colleague who is neither American nor Indian just mentioned this series to me and recommended it!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:36 pm

I watched the series. It is really well made. I loved how they presented the story from multiple perspectives. You can see the fears and hopes of the various groups even as the story builds all the way to the end. It is remarkable that they got to interview the key players. I walked away with a more nuanced understanding of what happened than what I had before I started watching this.

The only perspective that is missing is Rajneesh's own. Because he maintained a public pretense of silence for years, and he died well before the documentary was made, we don't get to understand well the extent of his culpability.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Anand Sheela is dynamite! She is still energetic and zestful. Ballsy lady, obviously unpalatable to American sensibilities. Rajneesh barely lived 3-4 years after she left. About her and the org's in your face style - that was their calling card and USP. You live by the sword, you die by the sword as well. I wonder how the org amassed huge amounts of wealth. Was it all via donations from rich westerners, or was someone using the org as a front to launder cash, move drugs around, etc? Unlike the Georgetown cult and David Koresh's cult, Rajneeshis didn't seem to be a doom and gloom cult. They were just continuing the free love theme of the 60s. If the leader and his core group were white, I think the group may have survived much longer.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 pm

silvermani wrote:Anand Sheela is dynamite! She is still energetic and zestful. Ballsy lady, obviously unpalatable to American sensibilities. Rajneesh barely lived 3-4 years after she left. About her and the org's in your face style - that was their calling card and USP. You live by the sword, you die by the sword as well. I wonder how the org amassed huge amounts of wealth. Was it all via donations from rich westerners, or was someone using the org as a front to launder cash, move drugs around, etc? Unlike the Georgetown cult and David Koresh's cult, Rajneeshis didn't seem to be a doom and gloom cult. They were just continuing the free love theme of the 60s. If the leader and his core group were white, I think the group may have survived much longer.
Yes, and they may have had a better chance in northeastern Oregon if their cult was an offshoot of Christianity rather than Hinduism.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down