Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

familiarity

Go down

familiarity Empty familiarity

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

for most days between xh and me, whoever is home at dinner time or gets home first makes the dinner. Last night i was a bit late, but luckily he had made dinner plates for us just as i walked in, which was good coz then i didn't need to reheat it. it was two fish cutlets, a bunch of curly fries, and the rest of the plate was covered with brussel sprouts.

Usually i don't eat fries these days but i was hungry so i picked one and it was heavenly. I rushed to my bedroom and changed into night clothes, thereby quitting the gym class. Then i rushed down and gobbled down the fish, brussel sprouts, and fries in that order, saving the best for the last.

But since it's been a while, i set the timer of two hours before i began eating. This was to take blood sugar two hours after my meal. My post meal blood sugar is in the normal range but not comfortably so. And then it varies based on what i eat and how active i am after the meal. Every roti ups it by 10 points. Walking after the meal lowers it by 10 points. chicken in the meal makes it nearly perfect level coz it's slow digestion, while 2 alu parathas shoots it in the scary range. So last night, i wanted to see (keeping exercise out of the equation), the effect of fries on my blood sugar, and to see if fried fish or baked brussel sprouts made any diff.

It didn't. My blood sugar came *this* close to the normal range limit. So i began whining to xh. Lately he has started hearing me out on my sugar issues. So he began questioning me. 'Why are you worried if it's in normal range.' Well, coz it's most likely insulin resistance that can lead to diabetes in future. So then he counters it with - 'what if it's just your slow metabolism.' Except that it most likely isn't. 2 hours is a range for a reason. So i explained to him in detail how it works. and how even slightly higher levels of sugar flowing in your blood can cause heart changes over a period of time.

he concluded that with, 'oh ok, so as long as you walk for 30 min after every meal, you should be good, aleast for now'. He began suggesting how I should do it. Then as his last appeal he goes - 'you used to walk so much on your terrace back home, always walking fast back and forth. Maybe you should start that again.'

Back in the day, walking on my terrace was my biggest stress reliever. I would be walking a total of 2 hours daily, maybe more in exam times. Friends who lived in the hood, and even college friends (since college was close to home), all used to joke about it. Coz it would be rounds of about 15 feet one way and i would be walking back and forth at a fast pace at any given time of the day or night. The terrace was open to 3 roads around the house, so anyone who passed by and looked up, it was hard to miss me in spite of the tall trees around the house.

It was probably the warmest thing someone had said to me lately. XH has a terrible memory in general. My daughter sometimes jokes how our love story is only in my head, as half of the time he has no clue what i am talking about. So for him to remember this small thing i used to do 25+ years ago felt kinda good.

I guess there's nothing in the world like old familiarity, and maybe that's why we cling so hard to it.

Back to top Go down

familiarity Empty Re: familiarity

Post by southindian Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am

I think the 'xh' thing has stretched beyond its expiry date and can be conveniently dropped. The 'h' in this case is doing more than any normal husband does in a happy family and deserves respect with reference as 'h'. 

Unless... the whole situation is as how I lived when I was a bachelor... that is living with other folks in a house to save money on rent, food and transport.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:50 am

southindian wrote:
Unless... the whole situation is as how I lived when I was a bachelor... that is living with other folks in a house to save money on rent, food and transport.

jes, but mostly it's for co-parenting and he's a nice guy so I have no issues living with him...

I'm just used to calling him ex... even at work he's called 'my/your ex'. I think at such I should call him 'dear ex' now... but dx means diagnosis in medical terms, so is kinda odd. maybe I will call him rm for room mate... let's see...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum