Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Have To Go, Insists Rahul Gandhi After Congress Rejects Offer: Sources

Go down

I Have To Go, Insists Rahul Gandhi After Congress Rejects Offer: Sources Empty I Have To Go, Insists Rahul Gandhi After Congress Rejects Offer: Sources

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat May 25, 2019 9:10 am

NEW DELHI: Rahul Gandhi was adamant on resigning as president of the Congress over its appalling performance in the election even after his offer was unanimously rejected at a meeting on Saturday by the party's top leaders, who spoke once again of "thorough introspection", resorting to a refrain that has enabled much mockery of it in the past.

Rahul Gandhi, 48, told the Congress Working Committee, which consists of 52 members, that he would like to exit as its top boss nearly a year and a half after he took the job from his mother Sonia Gandhi, who was seated next to him at the meeting that ran four hours.

"We have to continue our fight. I am and will remain a disciplined soldier of the Congress and continue to fight fearlessly. But I do not want to remain the party president. It is not necessary that the president should be from Gandhi family," Mr Gandhi reportedly said.

The Congress said it "needs him", spokespersons and representatives said at a briefing that began nearly 45 minutes late amid reports that Mr Gandhi was firm on surrendering his status as chief to function as a party worker. Rahul Gandhi did not say a word as he left the meeting; he was tellingly not present at the press conference that was addressed by several Congress leaders.

Sources say Rahul Gandhi's mother Sonia Gandhi and sister Priyanka Gandhi Vadra tried to persuade him to change his mind. Finally, they said it was his decision.

The party's big dilemma is -- if not Rahul Gandhi, then who?

The Congress has rarely looked beyond the Nehru-Gandhi family for leadership, against all reason.

The Congress held its post-mortem three days after its net worth in the general election hit 52 seats, just eight up from 2014, which was its worst-ever result. Mr Gandhi, at a press conference that evening, was asked by NDTV's reporter what sort of responsibility he assumes for the loss. "100%", he replied.....

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/rahul-gandhis-resignation-rejected-at-congress-working-committee-meeting-after-election-debacle-2042840
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down