Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil

+2
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil  Empty The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Of all the dialects of Tamil in the world, the one spoken in Madras is indisputably the most elegant and most popular, to say the least. While some may argue that the primary reason for this is the relative simplicity of the dialect, many consider the "broad-mindedness" the Madras folks have demonstrated in acclimating to the liberalization, policy of the Indian govurmentu. "pinna ennaba, newspaper edtha enga pathalum liberliseshan... attha vutta TN Seshan!"

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil comes from the fact that a classical (and old) language like Tamil is given that contemporary touch by the constructive intrusions from languages like Hindi, Telugu, Greek, Italian, Persian and most importantly English (naduvula konjam uttaks naina). As a result, the language may sound uncivilized, from the point of view of the Madurai folks, who seemingly say 'Vaanga.. ponga..' even before 'veesing' the 'veecharuvaa' and the Coimbatore folks who add this sickening slur to every statement... and in their obsession with pure Tamil curb the unfettered evolution of the language, thereby leading to little or no development of the language itself. For instance, words like 'bejaar', 'peela', 'saavu graaki' have no sense and no equivalents in the Southern dialects of tamil. Certainly an inexplicable loss to Tamil Language! Now, really getting into the mechanics of the spoken language, the most important point is the relative position of the lips while speaking. While most tamil dialects involve a cavity of 2 inches between the lips,Madras tamil involves a much lesser gap (0.5 to 1.2 Inches). Mastering the exact position is half the language learnt....

The syllable 'zha'(as in tamizh) becomes 'ya'. So, 'vaazhai pazham' is 'vaaya payam', 'vaazhkai' is 'vaaykai', 'vazhukki' is 'vaykki'. Off the record, 'zha' is a pain in the butt. More than 95% of Tamil Nadu substitutes it with 'ya' or 'la'.

http://www.bumba.org/madras_tamil.html

Back to top Go down

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil  Empty Re: The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:16 pm

it's like me commenting on the aesthetic superiority of canadian french over french french. no frenchman would give a crap about my opinion because i don't know a lick of french. wait! i probably know more french than you know tamil. so it's actually worse!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil  Empty Re: The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's like me commenting on the aesthetic superiority of canadian french over french french. no frenchman would give a crap about my opinion because i don't know a lick of french. wait! i probably know more french than you know tamil. so it's actually worse!

these comments were not mine, but of another tamilian. i posted them here to see what people like you think of these views.
i agree that i do not know tamil, but i am making some effort to pick up some conversational tamil. the 'zh' sound has been of considerable trouble to me and i was relieved to know that most tamilians find this sound troublesome as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:17 pm

can someone tell me if this is Madras Bashai? Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:48 pm

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil  Asslick

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil  Asslick

Propa, is that you and Charvaka?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:25 pm

i couldn't listen to that guy's labored attempts at singing some movie song beyond 10 seconds. sorry!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i couldn't listen to that guy's labored attempts at singing some movie song beyond 10 seconds. sorry!

All right tell me this, is Madras Bashai used in songs and dialogues in tamil movies?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i couldn't listen to that guy's labored attempts at singing some movie song beyond 10 seconds. sorry!

All right tell me this, is Madras Bashai used in songs and dialogues in tamil movies?

usually it is some comedian depicting a fisherman, autorickshaw driver, or bus conductor who uses the dialect. it's also incorrect to say that most tamilians can't say 'zha'. many can't and many others can. fairly or unfairly and probably inaccurately sometimes, the ability to pronounce it is used as a marker to judge educational attainment and economic class.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:

that's you with anyone that agrees with you.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

i disagree. my view is that that's you and Charvaka.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

usually it is some comedian depicting a fisherman, autorickshaw driver, or bus conductor who uses the dialect. it's also incorrect to say that most tamilians can't say 'zha'. many can't and many others can. fairly or unfairly and probably inaccurately sometimes, the ability to pronounce it is used as a marker to judge educational attainment and economic class.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil  FuckOff9

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil  Spank2

Propa, that's me beating the shit out of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Rashmun has the last word! clap
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Avandhaaan Oru kilpaukathu case-na neee innaa saaaru andha saavigiraaki kooda level-a pesikinnu keera? vudu nainaa avankedakaraa kasmaalam.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Thanks.
Why are you showering praise on Max?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:10 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Thanks.

because i learnt something from him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

you couldnt beat your own meat, much less me. which explains the deranged and obsessive behavior we've been witnessing over the past few days. try to have a few nocturnal emissions or something.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Avandhaaan Oru kilpaukathu case-na neee innaa saaaru andha saavigiraaki kooda level-a pesikinnu keera? vudu nainaa avankedakaraa kasmaalam.
Ha ha ha! The men in white coats are out there looking for him!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

you couldnt beat your own meat, much less me. which explains the deranged and obsessive behavior we've been witnessing over the past few days. try to have a few nocturnal emissions or something.

Propa how is that leg of yours doing? Are you still limping around?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Thanks.

because i learnt something from him.

Notice also that i said Thanks. I did not say Great post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

oor othe thevidiya

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

oor othe thevidiya

Is that how you call your mother or Malini Iyengar?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

oor othe thevidiya

No. These tamil cuss words are reserved for you and only you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:22 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

oor othe thevidiya

You really don't know the meaning of what you were saying... do you ?

That is what happens when you try to show off as an expert by talking to 2 people on a bus or visiting/cut/vomitting from 2 sites at random.

What you really meant was "My mother is a prostitute"

Of course, you are known for voting yourself out....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:34 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

oor othe thevidiya

That is what happens when you try to show off as an expert by talking to 2 people on a bus or visiting/cut/vomitting from 2 sites at random.

the words oor othe thevidiya mean 'the whole town is screwing you'. trust you to bring up family members into a discussion as has been your habit in the past (because of which i have had to occasionally reciprocate in kind to make you shut up).

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

oor othe thevidiya

the words oor othe thevidiya mean 'the whole town is screwing you'. trust you to bring up family members into a discussion as has been your habit in the past (because of which i have had to occasionally reciprocate in kind to make you shut up).

Ahahahaha....Really ???? then continue...you are free to call your mother whatever you feel like.

I NEVER abused or dragged any family member ever..... By "Rashmun Method of proof" Mother is an english word and unless I cite your mothers REAL name, it does not amount to personalization.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:55 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Ahahahaha....Really ???? then continue...you are free to call your mother whatever you feel like.

I NEVER abused or dragged any family member ever..... By "Rashmun Method of proof" Mother is an english word and unless I cite your mothers REAL name, it does not amount to personalization.

keeshan appa mayiru poodunghi. vaile vatchuko parapunda maune.soru thunriya illa pee thunriya.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 am

Ahh.. the beauty of tamil is evident in these last few posts.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:40 am

doofus_maximus wrote:Ahh.. the beauty of tamil is evident in these last few posts.

rofl

Funny...looks like I need to brush up my cussing skills. In school, I was the undisputed King when it came to cussing... I made up words and phrases on the fly based on the situation and the person involved. Ahhhhh those good old days..

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down