Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man with Ph.D calls a fake doctorate as Dr.

+3
Hellsangel
Maria S
MulaiAzhagi
7 posters

Go down

Man with Ph.D calls a fake doctorate as Dr. Empty Man with Ph.D calls a fake doctorate as Dr.

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:54 am

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/read-letter-pm-writes-to-karunanidhi-about-un-resolution-against-sri-lanka-185443

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Man with Ph.D calls a fake doctorate as Dr. Empty Re: Man with Ph.D calls a fake doctorate as Dr.

Post by Maria S Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 am

Sara, with all due respect..this is not about MK or politics. This is just a "symbolic" resolution..about human rights violations, war crimes..wish the US & the International Community would have done this sooner.

Here is the draft copy of the merely "symbolic resolution".

http://www.dailymirror.lk/news/17342-us-submits-draft-resolution-on-sl.html?tmpl=component&layout=default&page=

Noting the Report of Sri Lanka’s Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) and its findings and recommendations, and acknowledging its possible contribution to Sri Lanka’s national reconciliation process,

Welcoming the constructive recommendations contained in the LLRC report, including the need to credibly investigate widespread allegations of extra judicial killings and enforced disappearances, de-militarize the north of Sri Lanka, implement impartial land dispute resolution mechanisms, reevaluate detention policies, strengthen formerly independent civil institutions, reach a political settlement involving devolution of power to the provinces, promote and protect the right of freedom of expression for all, and enact rule of law reforms,

Noting with concern that the LLRC report does not adequately address serious allegations of violations of international law,

1. Calls on the Government of Sri Lanka to implement the constructive recommendations in the LLRC report and take all necessary additional steps to fulfill its relevant legal obligations and commitment to initiate credible and independent actions to ensure justice, equity, accountability and reconciliation for all Sri Lankans,

2. Requests that the Government of Sri Lanka present a comprehensive action plan as expeditiously as possible detailing the steps the Government has taken and will take to implement the LLRC recommendations and also to address alleged violations of international law,

3. Encourages the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and relevant special procedures to provide, and the Government of Sri Lanka to accept, advice and technical assistance on implementing those steps and requests the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights to present a report to the Council on the provision of such assistance at its twenty-second session.

_____

*It seems extremely reasonable.

If the Indian Govt does not "symbolically" support this, I would be disappointed.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Man with Ph.D calls a fake doctorate as Dr. Empty Re: Man with Ph.D calls a fake doctorate as Dr.

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 am

===> Maria,

I fully support the U.N resolution.

I was just commenting on Dr. Singh a man with a Ph.D from Oxford ends up calling Karunanidhi as Dr. Karunanidhiji.

He could have just said Dear Karunanidhiji.

That is all.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 am

Sure. Let India support this and open up a Pandora's box in Kashmir.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:36 am

Smile

Thanks Sara for the clarification.

As you know by know..I try to look at people as complex- with many dimensions..good, bad and ugly, and not just stick a label and dismiss them..

As a politician, Karunanidhi is quite corrupt, has many human weaknesses and one can disagree with his views/ideology/political policies. But, as a Kalaignar-Tamil Scholar..he is quite brilliant. He may not have a Tamil Ph.D, but think if he would have pursued his education, would have easily recd a Doctorate in Tamil..(as per all the requisites) - would have been interesting to read his thesis, imo:)

*There are many people who I don't think deserve a hon. doctorate (and you may certainly disagree with me!)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:39 am

Angel,

Whoa! Are you saying India should not support this resolution?

Sorry, disagree with you.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 am

Maria S wrote:Angel,

Whoa! Are you saying India should not support this resolution?

It does not matter to me one way or another. But if India does this, the Indian Government should be prepared for a similar resolution on Kashmir.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:47 am

It matters to me Smile.

I don't see the comparison with Kashmir- "the massive scale" of war, the genocide, refugee camps, banning of international journalists etc, etc.

But, you are entitled to your views, respect that.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Maria ,

for years i have thought of the tamil tigers as a rogue orgnaization ..wheedling their way in to Sri lanka then doing heavy handed dadagiri ( arm twisting ) with its people

.India has looked the other way with good reason so has the world .not giving it any importance

If massacres have happened they have happened on both sides .

.India will sacrifice its good relations with Sri lanka .

what is this symbolic commiseration ? lip service ?

Rajiv Gandhi was killed by these very same people

comparison with kashmir is necessary

as matter of fact kashmir has witnessed many more massacres and homelessness

( I know I have put matters simply )
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Chameli,

Let's just say- we have very different views on this one.

We can have a long discussion starting with the history of Tamilians in Srilanka..the treatment of Tamilians in Srilanka..to what led to the war..(and then bloodshed and enough blame to go around on both sides in this phase), now the post war..atrocities..which continue..

But, In the end we may still have the same views- so might as well..not waste our time on this one!

I am an Indian, Tamilian, American..feel I have strong ties to all my identities (as we all do to our identities- sometimes we feel conflictedCrying or Very sad) and in this one I do..have expressed..how I feel! That's about it!

*I would have to look at the UN resolution- if there is one involving Kashmir..can't comment until that happens!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Sure. Let India support this and open up a Pandora's box in Kashmir.
India should support this resolution. The situation in Kashmir is nowhere near what prevails and northern and eastern Sri Lanka.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:34 pm

charvaka wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Sure. Let India support this and open up a Pandora's box in Kashmir.
India should support this resolution. The situation in Kashmir is nowhere near what prevails and northern and eastern Sri Lanka.
Great glut Admin, you are hurting my feelings. But I know you can't praise me.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 am

charvaka wrote:

If India approves this resolution - which means absolutely NOTHING - the Pakis and Chinkus will entice the Sinhalese SL, the last thing India wants to deal with at this stage.

Moreover, the Kashmiri violence is cyclical and a major riot takes place every 5 year or so. Pakis wait for such an occasion to pass anti-India resolution at OIC, UN and everywhere else. Pakis will counter that India supported an anti-SL resolution bcz Tamils were mostly Hindus, whereas it is anti-Muslims in the case of J & K. This is one reason why India never goes against SL, although it pushes privately.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
charvaka wrote:

If India approves this resolution - which means absolutely NOTHING - the Pakis and Chinkus will entice the Sinhalese SL, the last thing India wants to deal with at this stage.

Moreover, the Kashmiri violence is cyclical and a major riot takes place every 5 year or so. Pakis wait for such an occasion to pass anti-India resolution at OIC, UN and everywhere else. Pakis will counter that India supported an anti-SL resolution bcz Tamils were mostly Hindus, whereas it is anti-Muslims in the case of J & K. This is one reason why India never goes against SL, although it pushes privately.

The curse of the Nehru & his family legacies continue.... Crying or Very sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 am

Poor India caught between the devil and the deep sea ..

.constantly pacifying one or the other minority groups
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down