Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 400 Universities - US news report

5 posters

Go down

Top 400 Universities - US news report Empty Top 400 Universities - US news report

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:36 pm

...find out which is hte highest ranking desi University...

I think that Rev. Flimmy Iyer should shoot an email to USNews condemning them for calling MIT, CalTech, Geargia Tech, Imperial College of Sci & Tech and Tokyo Inst of Tech as U N I V E R S I T I E S.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Top 400 Universities - US news report Empty Re: Top 400 Universities - US news report

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:14 pm

i think the IITs score poorly because of faculty don't publish much and so most of the IITs don't even have an entry in the citations per faculty field! my q, why isn't the indian institute of science on the list (at least i didn't see it)? it should be.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Top 400 Universities - US news report Empty Re: Top 400 Universities - US news report

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:16 pm

i take that back. only my alma mater doesn't have an entry in that field. the other four do.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think the IITs score poorly because of faculty don't publish much and so most of the IITs don't even have an entry in the citations per faculty field! my q, why isn't the indian institute of science on the list (at least i didn't see it)? it should be.

One thing I noticed was that Dental Schools BOYCOTTED the USNEWS ranking in 1995 and as such there is no independent ranking of dental schools. I find it amazing, curious and also contented. Perhaps, time every college does the same.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:27 pm

IMO dental schools are glorified vocational schools. no need to rank them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i take that back. only my alma mater doesn't have an entry in that field. the other four do.

Your Alma mater is #225

IIT-Delhi is 218 (highest Desi University) 1 spot better than Israel Inst of tech (hey..not bad).

IIT-M = 281

IIT-K = 289.

No sign of IISc.

but take heart in that UFL, RPI are in the 150-200 range.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
No sign of IISc.

why? it doesn't make sense that the IITs should be ranked but not the IISc. perhaps they don't rank universities that don't have an undergraduate program?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
No sign of IISc.

why? it doesn't make sense that the IITs should be ranked but not the IISc. perhaps they don't rank universities that don't have an undergraduate program?

Who knows... but I am not surprised. Only those educated and interested in education may know bout IISc. I bet most high school and college students - including the elite students - know very little about IISc. They are all "entrance-test" driven and naturally they dont know much about IISc.

How do you expect USNews report to know.. Also, the rankings are done by data supplied by the colleges/universities. IISc may not have submitted or, like you said, they are not eligible.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:IMO dental schools are glorified vocational schools. no need to rank them.

actually, I put dentist on par with used car dealers... But, on going through their curriculum, I noticed their first 1 or 2 years are same as that of med school curriculum, and some universities even hold common classes for m1/M2 and D1/D2. M3 and M4 go off to clinical rotations (what in India call the HOUSE SURGEONSHIP), while D3 and D4 do their clinical skills.

But, med students don't need to be great with hands, but Dentists it is a must as they ALL need surgical skills. I realize now it is more than cleaning and pulling teeth out.

BTW, it costs TWICE as much to be a dentist than a physician - yes, TWICE (at least), making them the most stressful professionals paying their debt over 20 to 30 years.

P.S. reminds of some physicians calling surgeons - stupid body mechanics. Of course, Surgeons call Orthopedists body machinists. Actually, they are all right to a large extent.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:50 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:IMO dental schools are glorified vocational schools. no need to rank them.

actually, I put dentist on par with used car dealers...

uppili saar!! i say, why don't you post a pictorial presentation of how you view all professions for our benefit? i am curious to know who tops that chart. none of the following, i assume - doctors, nurses, dentists, surgeons, chiropracters(sp?), liars, plane drivers, plane waitresses, submarine navigators, politicians, professors, scientists, wall-street looters, MBAs, bureaucrats and code coolies.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:00 am

Another Brick wrote:

uppili saar!! i say, why don't you post a pictorial presentation of how you view all professions for our benefit? i am curious to know who tops that chart. none of the following, i assume - doctors, nurses, dentists, surgeons, chiropracters(sp?), liars, plane drivers, plane waitresses, submarine navigators, politicians, professors, scientists, wall-street looters, MBAs, bureaucrats and code coolies.

advising fat midwestern blondes on "womanly problems" is the best profession, sitting lone at the very top next to god. rest are far far below

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 am

what kinda crap list puts UBC over UT austin? and king fahd university over IIT-D, IIT-M? and rice university far below a lot of crappy schools? I reject this ranking and I'm unanimous in this.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 am

I read somewhere that King Fahd university pays US researchers to publish their research as if they were done in collaboration with researchers in KFU.

They recruit heavily from US universities. Pay a shit ton of money to come and do work/teach there.

UBC is awesome with a 'clothing-optional beach/nude beach' on their campus. UT Austin has nothing on that.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:17 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Another Brick wrote:

advising fat midwestern blondes on "womanly problems" is the best profession, sitting lone at the very top next to god. rest are far far below

I agree.... that is the bestest profession. But, I do put a ht/wt restriction - ht in inches = wt in Kg.

I do agree with you on the rankings. It is more of a popularity contest and how much one has heard about the school. In world ranking it is even worse as most phoreners in Desiland and Chinkuland go even more with popularity of the names.

One should look at the ranking of UG or Graduate in respective specialty small or large school for ranking. This is just ONE factor. One of the best informers are former graduates - if you know them personally it is better.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:18 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Another Brick wrote:

Top 400 Universities - US news report 3077217049

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

haha, that and prophesying about random worldly events with utmost accuracy.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 am

Another Brick wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

haha, that and prophesying about random worldly events with utmost accuracy.

hahahaha....

So what do you think about the ranking?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:36 am

hahahaha....

uppili saar! i don't have enough knowledge about the topic. i graduated from the oldest college in MH (govt college of engg, pune - 1854) and it is considered as the third best engg college in MH (after VJTI and REC, nagpur) and i find it overrated. the quality of students was average and the staff was incompetent. i have no idea why it is considered as one of the best colleges when all it has done so far in its history is that it has churned out 9-5 pencil-pushers year after year. given my experience with this college, i wonder if such rankings matter at all.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:59 am

Another Brick wrote:

hahahaha....

uppili saar! i don't have enough knowledge about the topic. i graduated from the oldest college in MH (govt college of engg, pune - 1854) and it is considered as the third best engg college in MH (after VJTI and REC, nagpur) and i find it overrated. the quality of students was average and the staff was incompetent. i have no idea why it is considered as one of the best colleges when all it has done so far in its history is that it has churned out 9-5 pencil-pushers year after year. given my experience with this college, i wonder if such rankings matter at all.

Considering my question and your response, I must agree with you that the 3rd rank for Govt. College of eng , Pune was certainly a mistake.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:14 am

no no, i understood your question, but since i hadn't seen the link you had posted - mainly because i thought i wouldn't know anything about the 400 universities in the article - i chose to remark on the rankings in general.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 am

Another Brick wrote:no no, i understood your question, but since i hadn't seen the link you had posted - mainly because i thought i wouldn't know anything about the 400 universities in the article - i chose to remark on the rankings in general.

Thank you....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:20 am

Rankings in general should be taken with a grain of salt, US news' - with a giant salt mine...

Gladwell's got some good points:

www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_gladwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:35 am

Richard Hed wrote:Rankings in general should be taken with a grain of salt, US news' - with a giant salt mine...

But doesn't the public goes for the ranking ?

What say about Indians going gaga over IITs? After all, the only difference between the IITs and other colleges is the presence of the "select" students.

The 8" by 10" certificate is valued more by the public with a ranked University's name on it. I have been noticing quite a few things on elite universities' rosters that, I thought, only common lay people put emphasis on.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:05 am

My grad university is in the middle there somewhere. Am shallow enough to go bragging.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 am

Richard Hed wrote:Rankings in general should be taken with a grain of salt, US news' - with a giant salt mine...

salt or no salt, this ranking matters because the people who pay the bills think it matters. there's a lot to be frustrated about these rankings, but unfortunately people, as in parents and kids who cough up the green stuff do set store by it. and therefore deans, provosts, and college presidents take them seriously. faculty hate it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:16 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

salt or no salt, this ranking matters because the people who pay the bills think it matters. there's a lot to be frustrated about these rankings, but unfortunately people, as in parents and kids who cough up the green stuff do set store by it. and therefore deans, provosts, and college presidents take them seriously. faculty hate it.

It's a vicious cycle. School Admins, Parents, Kids, Ranking "authorities" (and for Uppili's sake - flight attendants). I would never bet one of the most important decisions of my life (my UG experience) on these rankings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:08 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

At a recent med School deans, whose survey input count for 50% of the ranking of med schools, the Yale Univ dean said he still ranks schools based on what he thought and knew when he was studying. He had no current in-depth knowledge of other med school details. He said most deans of med schools and business schools do the same. And, this explain the same set of schools occupying a set ranking group.

But, unfortunately, in the absence of anything else, MOST people, politicians go by these ranks.

BTW, I put up the World ranking as a joke as it surely is a popularilty contest in India and China.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down