Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hate Lassi

+10
truthbetold
Merlot Daruwala
Bittu
Nila
Maria S
Impedimenta
MaxEntropy_Man
doofus_maximus
Propagandhi711
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
14 posters

Go down

I hate Lassi Empty I hate Lassi

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 am

It is a poor Naardh Indian substitute for Tamilian Neer mOr - with its curry leaves and spices. Tambrams don't know how to make it and think it is below their status to drink it. The bestest real Neer mOr (watered butter milk) is served during hot summers by Goundars in their petty shop poured out of an earthen pot.

Lassi ? sugary Gujjish thick buttermilk served at malls for Rs 25 to 50 to poorly dressed girls and poorly brained young men in their 150 cc moBikes.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

I hate Lassi Empty Re: I hate Lassi

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 am

agree with that thin butter milk with some ginger and curry leaves. it's an andhra speciality that non-iyers stole and made it their own.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 am

don't even talk about the 'sugar festival' AKA mango lassi served in many Indian restaurants across the US.

When I visited the Golden Temple with a Punjabi friend of mine I stayed in their house. Lassi made by his mom was awesome. I haven't had anything like that anywhere else.

I am not a big fan of neer-mor or panaham. I prefer Elaneer over those anyday.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:30 am

the trader joes mango lassi is very good. not excessively sweet at all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:45 am

I hate Lassi EgVny
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 pm

Lassi. Punjab written all over it. Not gujjish at all.

Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:35 pm

gujju, punjabi, same thing. dont bother uppili with vexing details - he's a big picture, look at solving problems on global scale kinda guy.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:agree with that thin butter milk with some ginger and curry leaves. it's an andhra speciality that non-iyers stole and made it their own.

phew, you had me sweatin there for a sec. Love neer mor. hate elaneer. hate lassi. i have never had a decent lassi in several years. so, until someone invites me for some kick ass lassi, it is a big "buss" from my end for lassi.

ok, done with all the lassi talk. lets talk about in and out burgers.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Well, I like variety in everything..So, I like Lassi, and I like Neer Moor (Diluted Buttermilk- with some fresh ingredients added (like ginger, cilantro and curry leaves)..and I also like little Ms. Muffet who sat on a tuffet..eating curd and whey..I like that too:)

They had some really good lassi in some little roadside stalls around Anna Salai, near Central Station in Chennai, and across from CMC in Vellore too!

*And I can certainly say..TN brahmins make some excellent Thayir Sadham (from what I have tasted)..we "other" Tamils..can make some pretty good curd-buttermilk related stuff too..whether it's rice or liquid stuff (again from what I have tasted!)!

Speaking of which..tomorrow being Good Friday..in TN with 3-hour GF services (with the Passion sermons) during the hot afternoons..fresh moor was/is traditionally served in most Churches from mann paanais (mud pots) and now mini-fridges..it's really good!

*Obviously *kai rusi (taste in food cooked by certain skillful hands) and *kai sugam (the pleasure through certain skillful hands) is individual..so in all families/communities..there are great cooks/pleasure givers- people with skillful hands..and some who are terrible too!

Last edited by Maria S on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:44 pm

[quote="Maria S"]Well, I like variety in everything..So, I like Lassi, and I like Neer Moor (Diluted Buttermilk- with some fresh ingredients added (like ginger, cilantro and curry leaves)..and I also like little Ms. Muffet who sat on a tuffet..eating curd and whey..I like that too:)

They had some really good lassi in some road side little shops in Anna Salai, near Central Station in Chennai, and across from CMC in Vellore too!

*And I can certainly say..TN brahmins make some excellent Thayir Sadham (from what I have tasted)..we "other" Tamils..can make some pretty good curd-buttermilk related stuff too..whether it's rice or liquid stuff (again from what I have tasted!)!

Speaking of which..tomorrow being Good Friday..in TN with 3-hour GF services (with the Passion sermons) during the hot afternoons..fresh moor was/is traditionally served in most Churches from mann paanais (mud pots) and now mini-fridges..it's really good!

M akka,
Adopt me and make me all this food you mention above. no? well, i tried. its ok.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:44 pm

i hate lassi.

i'd rather drink matha.

i love the diluted SI raita spiked with curry leaves and onions and would rather drink that. don't know if it is peculiar to AP or TN (or the other ignoble states).

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Smile

Sure Menaka:) It's a deal!

I like sweet Indian desserts..esp. anything with milk/dairy products.

Thanks a lot for the wishes.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I don't hate them but I don't prefer them. I make it for my kids now and then and they like it.

I forgot how the majjigae tastes, haven't made them in a long long time.

Since now I got my kitchen bff Vitamix (I call her Vandana Razz) I can try making neer mor. Wow! Neer Ice mor brings a lot of childhood memories - I used to have a big glass of ice moru every day after school.

I want to bragg that Vandana makes good idly batter, dosa batter, coconut chutney and she also makes bajji batter. I will have to go sutti podu her hehe.

Just want to append the bragging tha Vandana also kneads dough...for fulkka, ragi roti, akki roti. Sigh!

Last edited by Sasthi on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:45 pm

lassi looks like diluted jizz. not for me, thank you.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Hello Sasthi!

Hmm..Vandana? Nice name..I have to take a look at this Ms. Blender and see what the bragging was about!

Seriously, will take a look.

Hope you are doing well.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:45 pm

I am so and so Maria. Thanks for asking.

Yes, take a look they have 30 days money back. I grind the batter in 10 min and cleaning up is also easy.

Haven't tried the ninja ones...don't know if it works for south indian kitchen. Expensive but worth it.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:29 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:......
It is a poor Naardh Indian substitute for Tamilian Neer mOr - with its curry leaves and spices. Tambrams don't know how to make it and think it is below their status to drink it. The bestest real Neer mOr (watered butter milk) is served during hot summers by Goundars in their petty shop poured out of an earthen pot.

Lassi ? sugary Gujjish thick buttermilk served at malls for Rs 25 to 50 to poorly dressed girls and poorly brained young men in their 150 cc moBikes.

Unkil, you've clearly never had lassi. You probably had some watered down version in your hometown of insignificant size (where you couldn't go over to the town centre after 8pm without getting raped by Muslims). Chhaas is the NI version of neer mOr. There is no SI equivalent of lassi. Just fyi, lassi is not "thick" buttermilk. Wokay?

PS: I nominate you for the 2012 FlimFlam Most-Ignorant-of-the-Other award, instituted in memory of the most infamous ignoramus of them all.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:44 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Unkil, you've clearly never had lassi. You probably had some watered down version in your hometown of insignificant size (where you couldn't go over to the town centre after 8pm without getting raped by Muslims). Chhaas is the NI version of neer mOr. There is no SI equivalent of lassi. Just fyi, lassi is not "thick" buttermilk. Wokay?

PS: I nominate you for the 2012 FlimFlam Most-Ignorant-of-the-Other award, instituted in memory of the most infamous ignoramus of them all.

Directions 1. In a blender, blend the yogurt, ice, water, sugar and salt until mixture becomes frothy. Pour mixture over ice cubes in tall glasses.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:46 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Directions 1. In a blender, blend the yogurt, ice, water, sugar and salt until mixture becomes frothy. Pour mixture over ice cubes in tall glasses.

Thanks for the recipe. I hope you saw that it is made from yogurt and not buttermilk.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Thanks for the recipe. I hope you saw that it is made from yogurt and not buttermilk.

Are you trying to imitate your admirer ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:15 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Oh is the Upps Unkil Method? Refuse to acknowledge ignorance and when someone educates you, turn the table on them by accusing them of imitating somebody else. Very nice.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:19 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Oh is the Upps Unkil Method? Refuse to acknowledge ignorance and when someone educates you, turn the table on them by accusing them of imitating somebody else. Very nice.

Obviously, you know only to eat but know diddly about any cooking. How do you make yogurt Indian style? let us hear from you.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Obviously, you know only to eat but know diddly about any cooking. How do you make yogurt Indian style? let us hear from you.

Unkil, if you don't know the difference between yogurt and buttermilk (Indian or otherwise), you should go learn about it from your wife or your mother. Don't waste my time.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:26 am

upps lassi is well whipped YOGURT. it is NOT buttermilk.

chanch or mattha is buttermilk (which can be diluted yogurt, or more appropriately and traditionally, the liquid that remains after churning butter). chanch or mattha is often spiked with cumin, asafoetida and what not. it is very close to neer mor.

so we have 3 (t h r e e) fermented milk preparations in india:

1) yogurt or curd
2) buttermilk -- diluted yogurt.
3) the liquid that remains after churning butter.

all 3 (t h r e e) are DIFFERENT and TASTE different. i cannot tolerate the taste of #3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:46 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:upps lassi is well whipped YOGURT. it is NOT buttermilk.

chanch or mattha is buttermilk (which can be diluted yogurt, or more appropriately and traditionally, the liquid that remains after churning butter). chanch or mattha is often spiked with cumin, asafoetida and what not. it is very close to neer mor.

so we have 3 (t h r e e) fermented milk preparations in india:

1) yogurt or curd
2) buttermilk -- diluted yogurt.
3) the liquid that remains after churning butter.

all 3 (t h r e e) are DIFFERENT and TASTE different. i cannot tolerate the taste of #3.

After reading both you guys I am tempted to click "Stop watching this thread"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:48 am

classic Uppili method!

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:10 am

Other than creating an online fight what possible reason is there to choose between lassi and cold buttermilk . On a hot SI summer midday anyone walking on the street or sitting in a crowded church would be deeply greatful to have a glassfull of either liquid.

If you are sitting in an AC restarant you can ponder whether a gounders neer mor or a punjabi lassi is more tasty. For me those bearded street vendors were god send till l regained my balance after walking a mile from school.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:23 am

truthbetold wrote:Other than creating an online fight what possible reason is there to choose between lassi and cold buttermilk . On a hot SI summer midday anyone walking on the street or sitting in a crowded church would be deeply greatful to have a glassfull of either liquid.

If you are sitting in an AC restarant you can ponder whether a gounders neer mor or a punjabi lassi is more tasty. For me those bearded street vendors were god send till l regained my balance after walking a mile from school.

>>>>The summer after high school I found this place that had neer more out of ice boxes. Became a habit every evening. For lassis, there was a punjabi guy in mount road (madras), but my brother says there is nothing like the home made lassis made by his friend's mother in chandigarh. I think DM said pretty much said the same thing.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:57 am

http://banaraskakhana.blogspot.com/2011/11/famous-lassi-of-banaraspehelwan-ki.html

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:07 am

Hot damn Rashmun, Don't tell me you don't have an opinion on this topic.

What did you do before the internet during an argument or discussion?
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 am

doofus_maximus wrote:Hot damn Rashmun, Don't tell me you don't have an opinion on this topic.

Point of Order:

Let it be known that I "created" rather discovered that Rashmun had no original idea - errr....no idea of his own...on any issue. Akbar or Neer mOre.

P.S. Did Akbar like Neer mOre? I think he discovered refrigeration.... cheers

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:22 am

I hate Lassi Lassi_in_Varanasi

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:23 am

doofus_maximus wrote:Hot damn Rashmun, Don't tell me you don't have an opinion on this topic.

Will Durant, Won't Durant.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:classic Uppili method!
lol!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 am

I hate Lassi DSC03923

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 am

charvaka wrote:

Will Durant, Won't Durant.

PP Method!

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 am

Rashmun wrote:I hate Lassi Lassi_in_Varanasi

I am having a heart attack looking at this.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:52 pm

DM Anna,

Please drink water! Rashuman...stop abusing posters with images.

Two hundered thanks to you,

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:24 pm

I hate Lassi Lassie_1997_TV_show
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:classic Uppili method!

Rite...

The Classic Uppili Method is one in which everything is looked at a global level (leaving the tiny details to the PP and Rashmun Methodologists.)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 pm

I like Neer Mor aka Majjiga (in telugu), but the salt in it makes me conscious to have it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 pm

I hate Lassi 20120102-134350
I hate Lassi 20120102-134359
I hate Lassi 20120102-134424
I hate Lassi 20120102-134500
I hate Lassi 20120102-134507

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:40 pm

All the pictures of the lassis i have posted here were made in the same city: Banaras. Banarasi lassi is quite famous. Samiyaar, would you like to try some?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:All the pictures of the lassis i have posted here were made in the same city: Banaras. Banarasi lassi is quite famous. Samiyaar, would you like to try some?

as long as there is no ganges water involved.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:All the pictures of the lassis i have posted here were made in the same city: Banaras. Banarasi lassi is quite famous. Samiyaar, would you like to try some?

as long as there is no ganges water involved.

you could request them to substitute the water with milk. Typically, the lassi served in Mathura is prepared without any water. Milk is mixed with the yogurt and the other ingredients to prepare the lassi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:16 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i hate lassi.

i'd rather drink matha.

i love the diluted SI raita spiked with curry leaves and onions and would rather drink that. don't know if it is peculiar to AP or TN (or the other ignoble states).

same here. i like mattha* (buttermilk plus some coriander and other jazz) more than lassi. i have two problems with lassi. it is too viscous to drink but not viscous enough to eat with a spoon. but that's minor. my main problem with lassi is that it irritates my throat for a good number of hours after i drink it and i have to clear it from time to time. not nice.

* mattha with jalebi - traditional maharashtrian (brahmin) food in weddings.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down