Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world)

+4
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Kris
Seva Lamberdar
MaxEntropy_Man
8 posters

Go down

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Empty Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world)

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Img_0783

Back to top Go down

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Empty Re: Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world)

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 am

omg that's the part I miss about indian summers. lassi or aamrus every evenings. *sigh* as everyone grew older and health concerns took precedence, this tradition sorta slowed down.

We used to also get lassi in our college. All the boys were crazy about it. I tried it just once, but was too thick and creamy for my taste back then...

Back to top Go down

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Empty Re: Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:58 am

i like trader joes mango and plain lassi. not cloyingly sweet like the goop you get served most places in india. it was just right for me. unfortunately, they don't sell that product anymore.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:04 am

Rashmun wrote:Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Img_0783

What exactly is at the top of this 'lassi'?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:12 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Img_0783

What exactly is at the top of this 'lassi'?

the topping can differ considerably. in the picture the brown stuff might be fig (anjeer) and the green stuff might be chopped pistachio.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am

the brown stuff may also be gulkand.

http://www.kish.in/rose-gulkand-a-must-try-supertonic-in-summer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:25 am

Rashmun wrote:the brown stuff may also be gulkand.

>>>The pic you posted is very tempting. I love lassi, but have never had it in a home, as far as I can remember.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:25 am

'gulakand' makes more sense than 'anjeer'.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Hmm.....

I did drink lassi when I was in Kaasi.

Don't ask me what happened for the next 2 days!!!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Hmm.....

to be on the safe side you should have enquired about reputed places where lassi is sold. you may have gone to some shady place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Img_3560

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:39 pm

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Lassi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:51 pm

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Img_0784

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:56 pm

it seems the top Varanasi lassi makers may also add some chopped almonds and/or saffron and/or elaichi (green cardamom) to the lassi among other indgredients.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:44 am

Rashmun wrote:

to be on the safe side you should have enquired about reputed places where lassi is sold. you may have gone to some shady place.
The place I went to was near BHU (Lanka crossing?). The lassi was thick with cream on top. It was served in a clay container. Was very tasty - better than what you get here in NI style restaurants. I can't prove that I got my problem because of the lassi. It could be the Banarasi paan that did me in!.  In any case, it was a long time ago (I went to immerse my father's ashes in Ganga).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:02 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The place I went to was near BHU (Lanka crossing?). The lassi was thick with cream on top. It was served in a clay container. Was very tasty - better than what you get here in NI style restaurants. I can't prove that I got my problem because of the lassi. It could be the Banarasi paan that did me in!.  In any case, it was a long time ago (I went to immerse my father's ashes in Ganga).

What was your experience with the Pandas of Varanasi who performed the necessary rituals?

Could u tell me why in Hinduism performing shradha in Gaya is considered very auspicious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:43 am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) 7261114034_b43abd52c0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50 am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Img_1932

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:26 am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Tumblr_n4iuhvCOEx1sndlioo1_500

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 am

Rashmun wrote:Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Img_1932

what's that thing that looks like runny egg yolk?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:39 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Img_1932

what's that thing that looks like runny egg yolk?

I am not completely sure but I think the yellow color is coming from saffron ( known as kesar and also known as zaafraan).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:07 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

'gulakand' makes more sense than 'anjeer'.

I took another look at the brown stuff. I now think it could be small and thin slices of apple mixed with gulkand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:12 am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Image12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:47 pm

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Wpid-photo-dec-15-2013-952-am

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:03 pm

All I see is calories, calories and more calories!  Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:34 pm

These are some really good looking lassis.
I love dahi or lassi even chai in kullhad.
Just the perfect amount of thanda.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Wpid-photo-dec-15-2013-952-am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Avakai-wm2

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:03 pm

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) DSCF5704

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:06 pm

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) DSCF5709

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Image14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:26 am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) Blue-Lassi-Shop-Kachowri-Gali-Chowk-Varanasi-Uttar-Pradesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:36 am

to be honest, some of these yogurt concoctions are making me want to retch with the toppings and whatnot, that pink colored one particularly. no wonder oopis suffer from high levels of diabetes, this along with the penchant for jelabis

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:07 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:to be honest, some of these yogurt concoctions are making me want to retch with the toppings and whatnot, that pink colored one particularly. no wonder oopis suffer from high levels of diabetes, this along with the penchant for jelabis

Bandar kya jaane adrakh ka swaad.

----
I counted 83 flavours and varieties of lassi – each one made fresh by hand right in front of you – with plenty of opportunity to mix and match to create your own blend. (This also doesn’t include the notorious bhang lassi - listed on menus around the country as a “Special Lassi” and made from hash – and the various concoctions thereof.)...

The finished product, garnished with all the trimmings and served in a traditional clay bowl, makes Blue Lassi well worth the visit. I had blueberry and coconut and it made the lassi back home look like a glass of piss.

Any fan of lassi, Indian food, or in fact anyone with taste buds should go here!

http://drinkingtraveller.com/blue-lassi-shop-in-varanasi-india/

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:20 am

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:to be honest, some of these yogurt concoctions are making me want to retch with the toppings and whatnot, that pink colored one particularly. no wonder oopis suffer from high levels of diabetes, this along with the penchant for jelabis

Bandar kya jaane adrakh ka swaad.

----
I counted 83 flavours and varieties of lassi – each one made fresh by hand right in front of you – with plenty of opportunity to mix and match to create your own blend. (This also doesn’t include the notorious bhang lassi - listed on menus around the country as a “Special Lassi” and made from hash – and the various concoctions thereof.)...

The finished product, garnished with all the trimmings and served in a traditional clay bowl, makes Blue Lassi well worth the visit. I had blueberry and coconut and it made the lassi back home look like a glass of piss.

Any fan of lassi, Indian food, or in fact anyone with taste buds should go here!

http://drinkingtraveller.com/blue-lassi-shop-in-varanasi-india/

like I said, there's no accounting for taste

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Back when I lived in Hyderabad there used to be(perhaps still is) a "milk house" as they call it in the Mallepalli area serving chai, snacks, yoghurt, milk and lassi. The lassi used to be a popular drink of choice in the summer months. Thick, creamy churned yoghurt with the buttery stuff floating on the top. It used to be lightly salted. That's it, no sugar and no other garnishings.

Lassi used to be a favorite drink at my grandmother's place back in the village. They had a few buffaloes and would feed them wet grass, and they would give milk which was thick and creamy.
In all the years I drank lassi at my grandmother's place, I think I had sweet lassi once for novelty sake and didn't care much for it.

This Banarasi lassi appears unusual(to me) to say the least. I like sweets but not with lassi.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) DSCF5709

the picture above is of the famous Bhang Lassi. The brown stuff is marijuana powder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:10 pm

nevada wrote:Back when I lived in Hyderabad there used to be(perhaps still is) a "milk house" as they call it in the Mallepalli area serving chai, snacks, yoghurt, milk and lassi. The lassi used to be a popular drink of choice in the summer months. Thick, creamy churned yoghurt with the buttery stuff floating on the top. It used to be lightly salted. That's it, no sugar and no other garnishings.

Lassi used to be a favorite drink at my grandmother's place back in the village. They had a few buffaloes and would feed them wet grass, and they would give milk which was thick and creamy.
In all the years I drank lassi at my grandmother's place, I think I had sweet lassi once for novelty sake and didn't care much for it.

This Banarasi lassi appears unusual(to me) to say the least. I like sweets but not with lassi.

with me its the other way around. i may have salty lassi occasionally but i much prefer sweetened lassi.

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Rashmun wrote:

the picture above is of the famous Bhang Lassi. The brown stuff is marijuana powder.

అసలే కోతి. ఆపై కల్లు తాగింది. తరువాత నిప్పు తొక్కింది.
అసలే UP fellow. Then he drinks bhang. And then he gets mad. just imagine.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:25 pm

b_A wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

అసలే కోతి. ఆపై కల్లు తాగింది. తరువాత నిప్పు తొక్కింది.
అసలే UP fellow. Then he drinks bhang.  And then he gets mad. just imagine.

Bhang features as an anxiety releaser in the ancient holy text and one of the four Vedas — the Atharvaveda. Bhang is associated with Lord Shiva, as it is believed that he discovered the transcendental properties of the cannabis. While bhang is popularly consumed in Mathura, making and drinking bhang is a part of the mystic charm of the holy town of Varanasi, that’s consigned to Lord Shiva’s worship. Bhang is prepared on the ghats of the city.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/food/all-about-bhang/article1-822262.aspx

---
Devotees of Lord Shiva drink Bhang. Disciples of Shukracharya are naturally opposed to those who believe in Shiva.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:

our mess workers used to make this during holi.  i did this once and without knowing how potent the stuff was ODd on it.  never again. they used to make it and put it in a cauldron. i had three full glasses of the stuff all from the bottom as it was getting emptied.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:10 pm

I have never tried it but Bhang is a popular item in the predominantly North Indian populated old city areas of Hyderabad. The ancestors of these people migrated there hundreds of years ago to work as soldiers, merchants, administrators, etc. During Holi it is consumed as a drink, and with betel leaves(Bhang paan). A friend of mine told me that it exaggerates whatever mood you were in prior to taking it. If you were happy and laughing and took it, then you would laugh uncontrollably, and vice versa.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:02 pm

i had a servant who was a great Shiva bhakta. In a moment of religious ecstasy he consumed some Dhatura and consequently had to receive emergency medical treatment.

----
Datura belongs to the classic "witches' weeds", along with deadly nightshade, henbane, and mandrake. Most parts of the plants are toxic, and datura has a long history of use for causing delirious states and death. It was well known as an essential ingredient of potions and witches' brews.[4]

The word datura comes from the sanskrit dhatūr ("thorn apple"); In Sanskrit it is referred as "Kanak" and "Unmatt" in the ancient scriptures of Indian Ayurveda by sage Sushrut and Charaka. Record of this name in English dates back to 1662.[5] Nathaniel Hawthorne refers to one type in The Scarlet Letter as apple-Peru. In Mexico, its common name is toloache.

In India it has been referred and attributed to as "Poisonous" and aphrodisiac. In little measures it was used in Ayurveda as a medicine from the ancient times. It is used in rituals and prayers to Lord Shiva.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) 8750446864_bb9e660901_c

and that would be a mango lassi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:38 am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) BDffrkl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:41 am

Varanasi Lassi (the best Lassi in the world) 20120102-134507

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:45 am

my contribution to this thread.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down