Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's in a name?

+10
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Maria S
Petrichor
Mosquito
MaxEntropy_Man
Nila
doofus_maximus
Impedimenta
Arwen LOTR
charvaka
14 posters

Go down

What's in a name? Empty What's in a name?

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:18 pm

This forum will complete one full year of its life in a couple of days. So I thought it would fun to have people talk about how they came to chose the name they use here. What does your handle name mean, how and why did you pick it, and what distortions of your name did you like best? Or anything else about your own handle name that you want to talk about...

I will start... my handle on old CH was carvaka, because charvaka was already taken. I took the name because at that time I used to participate in a lot of discussions about philosophy, religion and atheism, and I picked the name as a tribute to the materialist philosophers of ancient India who rejected vedic orthodoxy and emphasized the real world. Because the h was missing in my old CH handle, many people confused it with "car" something. Prior to that, I had the most uncreative handle ever -- I used my own name.

PS: I am getting bored of my handle name, which I have had for a few years now. I think I will get a new handle.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

What's in a name? Empty Re: What's in a name?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Mine came from the first Sydney Sheldon novel that I had read back in high school, If Tomorrow Comes. When changing handle names in old sulekha 3 years ago, I thought I will keep it after some movie/novel character that I had liked, and this seemed perfect. Some of my friends back home would say that I resembled the TW character in the novel, coz I was good at tricking people. Well, and some other subtle things too which they said were similar between us.

I had later thought I would change it to PZ's character in KANK, Rhea Saran, and I even created it, but I got attached to this one, so didn't use that one.

My first handle was mine and my husband's initials, RS-K. Second handle, Raj Shree was my name from my stories.

I kept 3.5 other unofficial handles for 3-4 months back in 2008... but that confession for another day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Arwen LOTR Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:49 pm

I am a fan of LOTR - I have read the three books multiple times - watch the movies every week.

The best character I like is of Arwen - who gives up her immortality for love.

Arwen LOTR

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Arwen LOTR wrote:I am a fan of LOTR - I have read the three books multiple times - watch the movies every week.

The best character I like is of Arwen - who gives up her immortality for love.
I enjoyed re-reading the LOTR books when I was in grad school. I have a feeling I'll enjoy watching the movies a second time, too.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

I kept 3.5 other unofficial handles for 3-4 months back in 2008... but that confession for another day.
Might as well ask you before Rashu does... was QB-R one of them?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:09 pm

my name should have been vetti officer. but i love asterix and that is where i come from.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:16 pm

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

LOL. No qb-r was last year, and it was not me. The three handles I kept back then were of three women, one from each ages of 20s, 30s, and 40s. Had a lot of fun with those handles, and no I never fell into the trap of talking to myself. I did troll a bit. I gave them up coz it began to get confusing for my friends after a while to keep track of the three of me.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:57 pm

I was Kaiser_soze long time ago during rediff chat days. 10-12 years ago.
Then I got bored with it. K_S because of the character from The Usual Suspects.

Changed my chat name to DM because of Seinfeld and Gladiator. In Seinfeld, Elaine describes Kramer as 'Hipster Doofus' and then I added Maximus behind it when Gladiator was just out to make it DM and it stuck.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:13 pm

My hanlde name is named after "Kanda Sashti Kavasam". I don't recite Kanda Sasthi Kavasam but "Skanda Guru Kavasam" - is my very soul comforting philosophical verses.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Sasthi wrote:My hanlde name is named after "Kanda Sashti Kavasam". I don't recite Kanda Sasthi Kavasam but "Skanda Guru Kavasam" - is my very soul comforting philosophical verses.

but both are in the undignified language. is that ok with you what with your new resolution not to speak it and all?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Sasthi wrote:My hanlde name is named after "Kanda Sashti Kavasam". I don't recite Kanda Sasthi Kavasam but "Skanda Guru Kavasam" - is my very soul comforting philosophical verses.

but both are in the undignified language. is that ok with you what with your new resolution not to speak it and all?

Muruga! Appanae! I said I wouldn't speak in public. Still I speak with my Tamil friends in private and on virtual forums.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:53 pm

One of the compliments that I got, which I loved, was 'padaharanaala teluginti aada paduchu' (the one with all the goodness of a telugu daughter/woman). I wanted to choose a handle which reflected that. Thought abt a few, didn't like them. Then this song came to my mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipK93u1Gj0 'Kinnerasani', i believe, is the heroine of a great telugu poet 'Vishwanatha Satyanarayana's poetry. So I chose the handle 'Kinnera' and stuck with it.

My other handle besides kinnera that i rarely used was 'Au', the chemical symbol of gold (sona/bangaru)

I got a few random handles before I got kinnera. I mentioned them to some of the old timers here. None of them r'ber any of those. grr!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:33 pm

My first handle was GultiWoman. I registered PseudoIntellectual at the same time. I feel it suits me well. I also used evil@heart. I use transcendentalpi at a few places. That is 'cos of my love for the most useless number pi & it is transcendental in nature.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:49 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:My first handle was GultiWoman. I registered PseudoIntellectual at the same time. I feel it suits me well. I also used evil@heart. I use transcendentalpi at a few places. That is 'cos of my love for the most useless number pi & it is transcendental in nature.
If you feel it suits you well, then it doesn't because there's no pseudo part to it anymore...
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:50 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:I was Kaiser_soze long time ago during rediff chat days. 10-12 years ago.
Then I got bored with it. K_S because of the character from The Usual Suspects.

Changed my chat name to DM because of Seinfeld and Gladiator. In Seinfeld, Elaine describes Kramer as 'Hipster Doofus' and then I added Maximus behind it when Gladiator was just out to make it DM and it stuck.
Ha! Wouldn't have guessed the Kramer connection.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Impedimenta wrote:my name should have been vetti officer. but i love asterix and that is where i come from.
I am surprised there is no vitalstatistix around these parts.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Does sasthi mean sixth day of the month?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

LOL. No qb-r was last year, and it was not me. The three handles I kept back then were of three women, one from each ages of 20s, 30s, and 40s. Had a lot of fun with those handles, and no I never fell into the trap of talking to myself. I did troll a bit. I gave them up coz it began to get confusing for my friends after a while to keep track of the three of me.
What were those handles? Was ranpar one of them? Who were the younger avatars?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:36 pm

kinnera wrote:One of the compliments that I got, which I loved, was 'padaharanaala teluginti aada paduchu' (the one with all the goodness of a telugu daughter/woman). I wanted to choose a handle which reflected that. Thought abt a few, didn't like them. Then this song came to my mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipK93u1Gj0 'Kinnerasani', i believe, is the heroine of a great telugu poet 'Vishwanatha Satyanarayana's poetry. So I chose the handle 'Kinnera' and stuck with it.

My other handle besides kinnera that i rarely used was 'Au', the chemical symbol of gold (sona/bangaru)

I got a few random handles before I got kinnera. I mentioned them to some of the old timers here. None of them r'ber any of those. grr!!
Have you read Vishwanatha's poetry? One of my uncles is a fan, but I haven't tried it yet.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:37 pm

charvaka wrote:
PseudoIntellectual wrote:My first handle was GultiWoman. I registered PseudoIntellectual at the same time. I feel it suits me well. I also used evil@heart. I use transcendentalpi at a few places. That is 'cos of my love for the most useless number pi & it is transcendental in nature.
If you feel it suits you well, then it doesn't because there's no pseudo part to it anymore...

Well I feel it suits me well, I am a pseudo. I have to think to be real.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:45 pm

charvaka wrote:
kinnera wrote:One of the compliments that I got, which I loved, was 'padaharanaala teluginti aada paduchu' (the one with all the goodness of a telugu daughter/woman). I wanted to choose a handle which reflected that. Thought abt a few, didn't like them. Then this song came to my mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipK93u1Gj0 'Kinnerasani', i believe, is the heroine of a great telugu poet 'Vishwanatha Satyanarayana's poetry. So I chose the handle 'Kinnera' and stuck with it.

Have you read Vishwanatha's poetry? One of my uncles is a fan, but I haven't tried it yet.

No charu, I haven't. That's why I said, "'Kinnerasani', i believe, is the heroine of a great telugu poet 'Vishwanatha Satyanarayana's poetry." Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

atcg - dna base pair

nee

seo ul hack - search engine optimized, zia ul haq, soul hacking

nee

cottheta - cotangent of theta : my adjacent side (alter ego) divided by interactions with the opposide side (gender)

nee

sensible - no special meaning, just wishful thinking

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:00 pm

atcg wrote:atcg - dna base pair

nee

nee

cottheta - cotangent of theta : my adjacent side (alter ego) divided by interactions with the opposide side (gender)

nee

seo-ul-hack -- didn't realize the SEO aspect was in there as well. Deep. cot-theta, even deeper.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Hmm..why Maria?

Somehow Mulaiazhaghi and Thodaiazhaghi seemed slightly inappropriate..and that would have ruined the Mother Superior image:D!

Seriously, I always liked the name Maria.. it's a pretty name (imo) short, easy to say, universal- "common"..above all, it was to really honor the real name of someone, I often think about..my maternal great grandmother- Maria (amma)..who from all I have heard..was lovely and remarkable and one-of-a-kind in spite of her many challenges..and way ahead of her times!

It was def. not for Maria from the Sound of Music (as people often have assumed) or Maria from the West Side Story..and not for the well known- Biblical Maria(s), which is the variant of Mary. Never expected the name to be embraced with fondness as people have on line..have been called..Mari, Maree, Mariam, Mariammma, Mariakka, or simply M:) Most annoying (and obviously only in Sulekha)...yet made me chuckle..Maira and Maria CluelesS! S- is for the great love of my life. That's the end of the Maria Saga:)

Finally - To Carvaka the Creator and Founding Members here..congratulations on your first Forum anniversary flower, and thank you for allowing me to post here!

best wishes,
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Maria S wrote:Hmm..why Maria?

Somehow Mulaiazhaghi and Thodaiazhaghi seemed slightly inappropriate..and that would have ruined the Mother Superior image:D!
LOL!

Maria S wrote:to really honor the real name of someone, I often think about..my maternal great grandmother- Maria (amma)..who from all I have heard..was lovely and remarkable and one-of-a-kind in spite of her many challenges..and way ahead of her times!
That's very nice... I had (for no real reason, come to think of it now!) assumed that you had used your real first name!

Thanks for the wishes.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:49 pm

blabberwock means "the wise one" in Dakhini.

Google doesn't say so? Well, now it does.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:14 pm

blabberwock wrote:blabberwock means "the wise one" in Dakhini.

LOL! I thought "blabberwock" meant "the one who can make the other LOL-literally".

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 pm

blabberwock wrote:blabberwock means "the wise one" in Dakhini.

What's in a name? 3077217049

PS: Hey, why you not participating in trivia?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:16 am

Maria S wrote:the... Biblical Maria(s), which is the variant of Mary.
really? isn't the english name "mary" which came several centuries after the biblical "mariam" the variant and a distortion of the biblical name?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:28 am

i picked huzefa kapasi because i know someone by that name and the name came across as unusual to me. the best distortion of it that i like is hoojie. huzefa is a muslim name. kapasi means of or relating to cotton (kapas).

the best distortion of carvaka/charvaka i like is chewbakra.

congratulations to charvaka and suchers on their first anniversary.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:37 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:29 am

Long back I was on another site and I changed my Chat handle every month or so with a supposedly funny name: Gumastha_Gopal; Dr_Irudayam; Peon_Ponsamy, etc... Since I only indulge in empty advice with no expectation or consequences, I decided on Marathadi_SaamiYaar.

Unfortunately, I have become too lazy to change handles or even to remember and connect handles of others.

How is Killijosiyar-Kandasamy?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:33 am

charvaka wrote:This forum will complete one full year of its life in a couple of days. So I thought it would fun to have people talk about how they came to chose the name they use here. What does your handle name mean, how and why did you pick it, and what distortions of your name did you like best? Or anything else about your own handle name that you want to talk about...

Are you going to dedicate a special thread to "Self" realization?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:06 am

Wha? It's an year already?? Congrats Caru! Congrats SUCHins! Congrats SUCHinis! Congrats Sania!

I chose this handle on old CH very serendipitously, inspired partly by the half empty bottle of wine in front of me and partly by the half-bottle of wine inside me.

I was tickled when ToothSeeker or maybe MF (or both) chose to mangle it to Maarlo Dudduwala.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:18 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I was tickled when ToothSeeker or maybe MF (or both) chose to mangle it to Maarlo Dudduwala.
Haha. Nothing about Daruvanam? Sevaji will be disappointed!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:20 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:the best distortion of carvaka/charvaka i like is chewbakra.
I personally liked crowaka better, but chewbakra was a close second -- particularly because it came right after I had referred to the Chewbacca defense to mock somebody.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 am

charvaka wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:the best distortion of carvaka/charvaka i like is chewbakra.
I personally liked crowaka better, but chewbakra was a close second -- particularly because it came right after I had referred to the Chewbacca defense to mock somebody.

Yeah. I thought Crowaka was funny too. I also liked Vee Unkil's short and succint version: The Akka.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 am

hoojie wrote:suchers
Merlot wrote:SUCHins and SUCHinis
I am going to depart from my normal non-confrontational, elder-statesman persona and take a position on this highly divisive issue. I like SuCHins and SuCHinis a lot better than I like SuCHers. One because the latter can be read like suckers, and two because the former allows us to differentiate between CHunkils and CHaunties. There was a nice ring to Sulekhars and Sulekhinis, so I come down strongly in favor of the first form of address.

Last edited by charvaka on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got my order mixed up)
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 am

charvaka wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:I was tickled when ToothSeeker or maybe MF (or both) chose to mangle it to Maarlo Dudduwala.
Haha. Nothing about Daruvanam? Sevaji will be disappointed!

Oh man, that Daruvanam story was a source of much trauma to Sevaji. Oh those damn puranas and their embarrassing contents, I tell ya.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Yeah. I thought Crowaka was funny too. I also liked Vee Unkil's short and succint version: The Akka.
The Akka was good not just in itself, but also because it was coined around the same time as the formation of the Brotherhood.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:48 am

What's in a name? 3077217049

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 am

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

What were those handles? Was ranpar one of them? Who were the younger avatars?

Yeah. Ranpar, 45'ish. Delhi Gal, 35'ish. MDTT, 25'ish. And then there was a male sounding handle that I shared with someone. An Old Timer. This one was to just crack sulekhites jokes. I got some hate notes directed towards GC for that one. LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:53 am

atcg wrote:atcg - dna base pair

Not to nitpick, but atcg - dna bases pairs

nee

nee

nee

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 pm

My handle story...
Randomly picked up ...no reasons..wanted a short & crisp handle name...But if you all want me write a 100 words analysis on why i opted for Rekz..I can do that too..Rekha meaning line...I have never taken major risks in life ..always operate within boundries hence on an anonymous phorum like this one Rekha aka rekz aka rekzuuu is apt.. Very Happy

Distortion-The best one was blip blop blah Smile
On suchat..happen to forgot my rekz wala pw...so made it rekzU
Sublime asked me once if i had deliberatly added "U" to gain some UUUUUU affection on chat and i said YES Razz

P.S- When is TS drama happening? It's been a year and no sign of him..BORE
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:11 am

no explanation is required for my handle. it tells its own story. somewhat funny distortion of it was Another Chick which (i think) Shaven* used once. i found it funny because that was a good comeback after i twisted her previous handle "unknownbabe" to "unknownbabu". a perfect tit for tat.

* i can't tell Shaven from unknownbabu, sasthi, nutmeg, rekz and chameli because they all sound the same to me.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:51 am

Brick,
When u can't distinguish between Rs 500 & 100...it's obvious that u can't make out who is who on this forum..

Which school re?
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:54 am

LOL rekz. hadd hai AB.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:01 am

what? rs 500? rs 100? eh?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:45 am

[quote="Another Brick"]what? rs 500? rs 100? eh? [/quote
I remember reading a post of yours in which it was mentioned some cab guy tricked you with Rs 500...something something...
Rashmun - Kindly help me in digging that thread.Thanks in advance flower
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 am

ohhhh, that one. now it all comes to me and i understand what you meant in your post. and now it makes me chuckle. you are different from them, after all.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down