Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Max

3 posters

Go down

For Max Empty For Max

Post by Maria S Mon May 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Thought that this may be of some interest to you:

http://permanent-black.blogspot.in/2011/12/blog-post.html

Excerpt:

"...The first Indian language book ever to be printed was in Tamil, in 1577. After many fits and starts and some spectacular achievements, print and the culture of book publishing became well-recognized facets of Tamil society during the late colonial period. The Province of the Book explores the wonderful world of scholarly and subaltern publishing—especially popular fiction and street literature—in its heyday..."

New Book:
The Province Of The Book
by A. R. Venakatachalapathy
Publisher: Permanent Black (2011)

Book Summary:

The first Indian language book ever to be printed was in Tamil, in 1577. After many fits and starts and some spectacular achievements, print and the culture of book publishing became well-recognized facets of Tamil society during the late colonial period. The Province of the Book explores the wonderful world of scholarly and subaltern publishing—especially popular fiction and street literature—in its heyday.

The basis of Tamil book publishing was, to begin with, the patronage of writers by the local nobility and affluent Hindu monastic orders. Such patronage was eroded by the socio-economic transformations which came with colonialism. During the period of transition which resulted, attempts were made to create a market for Tamil books, with local writers not knowing where to turn for a living. It was only with the rise of the novel and a reading middle class—including young women and housewives—which finally broke the stranglehold of patronage, allowing Tamil publishing to grow into the market venture that it is today.

This is a brilliant and pioneering work which reconstructs a universe hitherto unknown— the world of the Tamil book. It shows famous and unknown authors at work, the religious literati with its cortège of students, radical nationalist poets such as Subramania Bharati rousing the masses and being crushed in the process, humble scribblers eking out a livelihood writing bazaar pamphlets, successful scribes compiling anthologies for students and astrological wisdom for the credulous, and the ubiquitous English official surrounding them all—censoring, adjudicating, dictating.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

For Max Empty Re: For Max

Post by Maria S Mon May 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Oops..got busy and can't edit this post..see that I have pasted the same first para- twice.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 07, 2012 2:15 pm

went through the article real quick. sounds like a very interesting book. i am going to ask my folks to get it for me. thanks for bringing it to my attention.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon May 07, 2012 2:44 pm

You are welcome.

Looks like the price is reasonable and is available here (but, some book stores may offer it for less too):

http://www.flipkart.com/province-book-8178243318/p/itmd54zrng4npxta?pid=9788178243313
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 07, 2012 3:00 pm

hey thanks. the place where this guy works is right down the street from my folks. and i know someone who is his colleague! amazing what a small world it is.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon May 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks to the pioneering work of some devoted Tamils working in the Information Technology field, Tamil is the first South Asian language to go on the Internet and the Worldwide Web. Do you know that Tamil was the first Asian language to go to printing press also?
The first Tamil book was "Lucae Tamil Vina Vidai" (Lucas Tamil Questions and Answers). It was printed in Lisbon, Portugal in 1554; Roman (English) script was used because printing blocks for Tamil letters were yet to be made (as in the early days of Worldwide Web when Tamil words were typed in English script because Tamil fonts were yet to be developed).
The first South Asian language to see print in its own script is also Tamil. The 16-page book "Thampiran Vanakkam" was printed in Tamil letters in 1557 in Goa, India; this was the very first printing press in South Asia. The same book was printed again in 1558 in Ambalakkkadu near Trichur, India.
http://www.tamiltribune.com/00/0803.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum