Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He can't look like that, that's wrong. Just look at him

+2
Impedimenta
Idéfix
6 posters

Go down

He can't look like that, that's wrong. Just look at him Empty He can't look like that, that's wrong. Just look at him

Post by Idéfix Thu May 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Romney just apologized for something happened many decades ago. I don't know why Washington Post feels the need to dig this far back.

Romney's classmates recollect bullying incident

Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber’s hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

The incident was recalled similarly by five students, who gave their accounts independently of one another. Four of them — Friedemann, now a dentist; Phillip Maxwell, a lawyer; Thomas Buford, a retired prosecutor; and David Seed, a retired principal — spoke on the record.

In an English class, Gary Hummel, who was a closeted gay student at the time, recalled that his efforts to speak out in class were punctuated with Romney shouting, “Atta girl!” In the culture of that time and place, that was not entirely out of the norm. Hummel recalled some teachers using similar language.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

He can't look like that, that's wrong. Just look at him Empty Re: He can't look like that, that's wrong. Just look at him

Post by Impedimenta Thu May 10, 2012 2:21 pm

how is this different from Mr obama's newly "evolved" opinion on same sex marriage?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

He can't look like that, that's wrong. Just look at him Empty Re: He can't look like that, that's wrong. Just look at him

Post by Idéfix Thu May 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Impedimenta wrote:how is this different from Mr obama's newly "evolved" opinion on same sex marriage?
Are you suggesting that "not supporting gay marriage" is the same as "forcibly cutting off someone's hair because you don't approve of how they look?"
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm

panini press wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:how is this different from Mr obama's newly "evolved" opinion on same sex marriage?
Are you suggesting that "not supporting gay marriage" is the same as "forcibly cutting off someone's hair because you don't approve of how they look?"

it is idiotic to form an opinion about the character of a presidential candidate based on some mischief he may have done in his high school years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu May 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

it is idiotic to form an opinion about the character of a presidential candidate based on some mischief he may have done in his high school years.
I agree. People used to make mistakes back then. Also, a heated debate may have brought on such behavior.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu May 10, 2012 3:14 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

I agree. People used to make mistakes back then. Also, a heated debate may have brought on such behavior.

LOL

the only question is did he learn from his youthful verve and become a sympathetic and wonderful king like one of the many muslim kings through the ages is the question.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 3:27 pm

. In a radio interview Thursday morning, Romney said he didn’t remember the incident but apologized for pranks he helped orchestrate that he said “might have gone too far.”

this was in high school, not elementary! how can he not remember it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 3:30 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

heated debates typically do not take place between high school kids. at least not in my time. moreover, the rule, even in heated debates, as per the Indian tradition at least, is that while you may resort to vitanda (instead of vada) you are not permitted to raise your hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu May 10, 2012 3:46 pm

panini press wrote:

No. I am not suggesting that. You are just assuming it and i do not have time to write in length about that. You may assume whatever the heck you want about another poster's intention and it is not going to make a difference to posters like me. You know why Washington post dug this up now. I was not trying to justify [or compare] Romney’s stupid high school behavior. No rational person will. Maybe he feels differently about homo sexuality now than how he felt about it when he was in high school. Romney has always been pointed out for his flip flopping on issues. I see it no different from other politicians and definitely not different from what Mr. President is doing as well.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu May 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Obviously, this *cannot be held against him as a Presidential candidate!

But, if true..just as a person it is always interesting to see glimpses of behavior towards a "weaker"- harmless person/creature. Am sure, many (or all) of you were involved in silly minor pranks in high school and college (I certainly was!), but how many of you really cut off anyone's hair or became physically aggressive- just for fun?

Another well known incident now is the putting a poor dog on top of a car for hours..until the dog could not take it anymore..and losing control of it's bodily functions, and saying the dog enjoyed these rides..

*Mr. Romney is a very handsome man..but these little snippets make him look a little less attractive as a person!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu May 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Not sure how many other parents are using this - but I ALWAYS use the "beware of confirmation hearings/elections 20 years from now" to advance my
parental edicts Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Maria S wrote:Obviously, this *cannot be held against him as a Presidential candidate!

But, if true..just as a person it is always interesting to see glimpses of behavior towards a "weaker"- harmless person/creature. Am sure, many (or all) of you were involved in silly minor pranks in high school and college (I certainly was!), but how many of you really cut off anyone's hair or became physically aggressive- just for fun?

Another well known incident now is the putting a poor dog on top of a car for hours..until the dog could not take it anymore..and losing control of it's bodily functions, and saying the dog enjoyed these rides..

*Mr. Romney is a very handsome man..but these little snippets make him look a little less attractive as a person!

I know that genghis khan did it. and I totally like him. what of it?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu May 10, 2012 4:51 pm

I know that genghis khan did it. and I totally like him. what of it?

________

Smile!

I have not thought much about Genghis Khan!

Let's talk about you..were you into pranks when you were in high school (please exclude pranks of the R-rated kind!)?

Ok..if you are not interested in answering that..how do you feel about Romney?

If you are not interested in answering that..are you following the NBA playoffs? Any predictions?
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu May 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
panini press wrote:

No. I am not suggesting that. You are just assuming it and i do not have time to write in length about that. You may assume whatever the heck you want about another poster's intention and it is not going to make a difference to posters like me.
Hey, I wasn't assuming anything -- that is exactly why I asked you a question.

Impedimenta wrote:Maybe he feels differently about homo sexuality now than how he felt about it when he was in high school.
I certainly hope so.

Impedimenta wrote:Romney has always been pointed out for his flip flopping on issues. I see it no different from other politicians and definitely not different from what Mr. President is doing as well.
I see your point -- I did find Obama's statements earlier about same-sex marriage bordering on the hypocritical, and I am glad that he has finally decided to come out into the open with his views.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu May 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Like the Macdonald triad, we present the new "Maria triad" for predicting anti-social such-ins:

a. pranks & high jinks in high school
b. Romney supporter
c. NBA watcher

Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu May 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
. In a radio interview Thursday morning, Romney said he didn’t remember the incident but apologized for pranks he helped orchestrate that he said “might have gone too far.”

this was in high school, not elementary! how can he not remember it?
Good question. Perhaps he regrets his stupid behavior and has chosen to forget that unpleasant memory. I am sure I have almost forgotten some bad things I did back when I was a teenager.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu May 10, 2012 5:23 pm

atcg wrote:Not sure how many other parents are using this - but I ALWAYS use the "beware of confirmation hearings/elections 20 years from now" to advance my
parental edicts Smile
Haha -- that's an excellent teaching device, although teenagers might not be thinking of their future confirmation hearings.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Maria S wrote:Obviously, this *cannot be held against him as a Presidential candidate!

I agree with you. As I just said to Impy, I hope his views regarding homosexuality have changed. Even if they haven't, those views themselves don't disqualify him from the presidency. He can be homophobic and be president, as long as he won't let his personal prejudices get in the way of his actions as a national leader.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu May 10, 2012 5:29 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

• **strikes me as anti-gay behavior. this guy is an over-grown ape and imagine him going with a pair of scissors at some other boy, anything could have happened, like an eye injury and he would have gotten away with it. when i think mischief i think of huck finn, tom sawyer, gilbert blythe. this kind of behavior goes hand in hand with racism. as dark indian woman i do not want someone like this in power.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu May 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Sir.actg!

Not at all..it's just a special threesome set (!) for dear Mr. DUT!

Seriously, I like pranks and practical jokes even now, help to plan them..(just pleasant surprises, nothing physically aggressive to make anyone feel bad!)

Have nothing against Romney supporters!

Am def. NBA watcher from time to time. I like LeBron and the Miami Heat..but. they can't be all hype..have to win, when it really counts.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down