Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wednesday Trivia # 27

5 posters

Go down

Wednesday Trivia # 27 Empty Wednesday Trivia # 27

Post by indophile Wed May 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Please do not google.

1. Who said - this was where the Field Marshall before the battle, there on the top of the hill over there was where the Field Marshall slept after the battle, and over there in between, was where he slept during the battle. Who was the Field Marshall he/she was referring to?

2. How exactly did Queen Elizabeth II characterize a shitty year in her reign in a highly refined way?

3. What practically impossible feat did Shyama Shastri, a member of the Carnatic music trinity, perform when singing?

4. Who invented the first hideaway bed ever patented in the United States, and in what part of a room was it designed to be hidden?

5. What is so special about the years 1835,1836, and 1837 in American history?

6. What possibly impossible feat did a Nebraska mule named Kraus perform two years in a row - in 1984 and 1985?

7. When my mother took me to see him (Santa Klaus) in a department store and when he asked me for my autograph was when I stopped believing in him.” Who said that?

8. What is the state with the longest coast line in India?

9. What is India’s national aquatic animal?

10. For what precious stones is Burma famous?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia # 27 Empty Re: Wednesday Trivia # 27

Post by doofus_maximus Wed May 30, 2012 2:16 pm

indophile wrote:Please do not google.

1. Who said - this was where the Field Marshall before the battle, there on the top of the hill over there was where the Field Marshall slept after the battle, and over there in between, was where he slept during the battle. Who was the Field Marshall he/she was referring to?

2. How exactly did Queen Elizabeth II characterize a shitty year in her reign in a highly refined way?

3. What practically impossible feat did Shyama Shastri, a member of the Carnatic music trinity, perform when singing?

4. Who invented the first hideaway bed ever patented in the United States, and in what part of a room was it designed to be hidden?

6. What possibly impossible feat did a Nebraska mule named Kraus perform two years in a row - in 1984 and 1985?

7. When my mother took me to see him (Santa Klaus) in a department store and when he asked me for my autograph was when I stopped believing in him.” Who said that?

9. What is India’s national aquatic animal? Freshwater Dolphins

Rubies??
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 30, 2012 3:05 pm

indophile wrote:2. How exactly did Queen Elizabeth II characterize a shitty year in her reign in a highly refined way?
Annus horibilis, 1992. I mentioned this in the "20 years ago" thread TW started a few weeks ago.

indophile wrote:[5. What is so special about the years 1835,1836, and 1837 in American history?
They had no public debt during those years.

indophile wrote:8. What is the state with the longest coast line in India?
Gujarat.

indophile wrote:[9. What is India’s national aquatic animal?
Fresh water dolphin that lives in the Ganga.

indophile wrote:[10. For what precious stones is Burma famous?
Rubies.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed May 30, 2012 4:15 pm

>>>> Said by Churchill--about Rommel (wild guess)

>>>Annus Horribilis

>>>Kerala

>>>Hippo

>>jade

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed May 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Anno excreto Wink

3. What practically impossible feat did Shyama Shastri, a member of
the Carnatic music trinity, perform when singing?

Did he sing in all 72 melakartha raagas?

>>>>>>>>Living room?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>important state purchases from the french?

>>>>>>>>>>>Win Kentucky derby or some such race?

>>>>>>>>> Shirley Temple?

Andhra Pradesh?

Turtle?

Jade I think
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 2:09 am

indophile wrote:

1st answer: kerala. 2nd answer: gujarat.

ganges dolphin. this river dolphin is found in the irrawaddy, myanmar too.

rubies.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 am

ANSWERS.

1. Who said - this was where the Field Marshall before the battle, there on the top of the hill over there was where the Field Marshall slept after the battle, and over there in between, was where he slept during the battle” Who was the Field Marshall he was referring to?

Col. Hoffman of the German 8th Army said that about Field Marshall von Hindenberg during the East Prussian campaign to drive out the Russians during the beginning stages of the 1st World War. The 70+ Hindenberg who was brought out of retirement served as the co-commander for the campaign while General Ludendorff served as the Operations Commander. Hindenberg later served as the Chancellor of Germany during the Weimar Republic days immediately before Adolph Hitler.

Annus horriblis (Horrible year - referring to 1992)

He sang taanam holding his whole body and head still (abslolutely no shaking) while in a contest with Bobbili Keshavayya. Just look at this video of Sanjay Subrahmanyam singing taanam (starts at 15:30 to appreciate how difficult was Shyama shastri's feat. Of course, Subrahmanyam is one who kind of dances while singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHfI7qFfGbk

4. Who invented the first hideaway bed ever patented in the United States, and where was it designed to be hidden?

Thomas Jefferson. It was to be hid away in the ceiling.

No public debt during those years.

6. What possibly impossible feat a Nebraska mule named Kraus perform in 1984 and again in 1985?

99.99% of mules are sterile. But this guy fathered two baby mules in consecutive years - considered a 1 in billion shot.

7. “When my mother took me to see him (Santa Klaus) in a department store and when he asked me for my autograph was when I stopped believing in him.” Who said that?

Shirley Temple

Gujarat

River Dolphin

Rubies.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down