Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the facade of the model minority

+2
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

the facade of the model minority Empty the facade of the model minority

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:07 pm

the self congratulatory facade of the indian american community as a model minority is slowly and sadly but surely crumbling. we are not just a community of successful doctors, scientists, finance and IT professionals, spelling bee, and intel science talent winners but also a community of crooks, swindlers, and spouse killers. none of this is surprising. this is as it always is, the relentless regression towards the mean.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

the facade of the model minority Empty Re: the facade of the model minority

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:11 pm

One swallow does make a summer I suppose.
And 711, Dunkin' Donuts, Exxon.... owners

PS: You forgot two Southern Governors.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:17 pm

except it's not one swallow. i'm not saying we have already crumbled, but there is a rot and the self-congratulatory crowd is not yet taking notice.

ps: yes i forgot the motel owners and the pols and you forgot dharun ravi, the guys who got swept up in the pedophilia sting, and the guys who offed their wives or their entire families.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 pm

It is not like we have the equivalent of the Cosa Nostra or the Vory v Zakone.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:28 pm

i feel terrible for gupta and his family btw in case it doesn't come across that way. i think he built a stellar career but got swept up in the euphoria of being of value to rajaratnam. i don't think his motives were primarily pecuniary but more to satisfy his own ego.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:54 pm

you don't want to congratulate Preet Bharrara the prosecutor. He is part of the model minority.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:57 pm

What is wrong with desis being 711, Dunkin' Donuts, Exxon and motel owners and taxi drivers?

Many of them are hard working and decent. And they also risk their lives to support their families. Quite a few desis who drive taxicabs for a living have been killed by thugs. Same story with desis who run 711 and dunkin donuts.

They are winners. Not losers.

Elitism is as bad as casteism and racism.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:you don't want to congratulate Preet Bharrara the prosecutor. He is part of the model minority.

i am totally put off by his ugly and needless rhetoric:

Having fallen from respected insider to convicted inside trader, Gupta
has now exchanged the lofty board room for the prospect of a lowly jail
cell,"

prosecutors should do their job and shut up.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:What is wrong with desis being 711, Dunkin' Donuts, Exxon and motel owners and taxi drivers?

nothing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:17 pm

PS: You forgot two Southern Governors.

_________

One apparently called her racial identity- white and made herself fit in among the majority on most applications, and apparently it worked out well for her! Whether she wants to be embraced as a model minority or not, and I am not a Republican..it's nice to see a second generation Indian (Asian) woman..become the Gov. of SC..

I am perhaps at the other end..while my racial identity is undeniable..and I have enough associations with the Indian Community..I have just as many associations with the "not so model" people in the rural South. As Sara says..I have seen Indians roll their eyes..and except for using the word "losers" say a lot about Indians who are honest and perhaps not fit in certain Indian groups..the stigmas, the divisions, the looking down. The "classism" - among Indian communities..family violence, HIV cases, Mental health problems..addictions..you name it.

*No it should not be surprising at all..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Maria S wrote:PS: You forgot two Southern Governors.

_________

One apparently called her racial identity- white and made herself fit in among the majority on most applications, and apparently it worked out well for her! Whether she wants to be embraced as a model minority or not, and I am not a Republican..it's nice to see a second generation Indian (Asian) woman..become the Gov. of SC..

I am perhaps at the other end..while my racial identity is undeniable..and I have enough associations with the Indian Community..I have just as many associations with the "not so model" people in the rural South. As Sara says..I have seen Indians roll their eyes..and except for using the word "losers" say a lot about Indians who are honest and perhaps not fit in certain Indian groups..the stigmas, the divisions, the looking down. The "classism" - among Indian communities..family violence, HIV cases, Mental health problems..addictions..you name it.

*No it should not be surprising at all..

The other also took sufficient measures to fit in (Piyush ==> Bobby)
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:41 pm

The other also took sufficient measures to fit in (Piyush ==> Bobby)

Well, I'll have to really search and search (!) and post some good attributes of Jindal at another time:)!

Seriously, I am not sure what the mass political appeal of Jindal is- and how he wins so easily in a Southern State! But, can't argue with his political wins. As in the discussions in the many recent political threads.."it's all in the eyes of the beholder"..and some are more lucky than others!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down