Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle

+2
indophile
Maria S
6 posters

Go down

The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle Empty The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 am

It is kind of exciting..even for a Non-Physicist and a believer in the Divine, like me! But it has rekindled some old interest in Physics.

Having said that..still think many mysteries of the Universe will still remain the same (duh!).

Will keep an open-mind..and wait to see the illusive particle, like the missing link:)

http://io9.com/5923494/what-todays-higgs-boson-discovery-really-means?popular=true

Excerpt:

"If you were to say July 4, 2012 was the day the Higgs boson was officially discovered, you wouldn't really be wrong. As CERN Director General Rolf Heuer put it, "As a layman, I think we have it." That's about as unequivocal a statement as you're likely to get from CERN, which is understandably conservative when it comes to announcing possible physics-shattering discoveries. But then, there's a second half to Heuer's quote, one that probably won't get as much attention: "But as a scientist, I have to say, 'What do we have?'" That's a huge question, one that won't be answered today, maybe not this year. Today's announcement is just the beginning of the Higgs story, definitely not the end.

Another nice link:

http://io9.com/5905897/the-webcomic-guide-to-the-higgs-boson
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle Empty Re: The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:07 am

another nice link:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120705/images/05zzquestionbig.jpg

The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle Higgs10

Back to top Go down

The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle Empty Re: The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 am

I like your nice another link! Thanks HK Very Happy !
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:21 am

Where/why did Dr.DM's pic disappear!

Anyways..if you are still around..the animations/gifs you post are always funny! Thought about you..when I saw this..(*has absolutely nothing to do with this thread!) My favs are the mouse lady and first lady- Michelle!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/stacylambe/how-people-reacted-to-anderson-coopers-coming-out
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:45 am

Maria S wrote:still think many mysteries of the Universe will still remain the same (duh!).
Will keep an open-mind..and wait to see the illusive particle, like the missing link:)

Purusha Suktam from the 10th mandala of Rigveda says:

paadOsya vishvaa bhootaani
tripaadasya-amRtam divi

<p>All that we are aware of (heard/seen/smelled/tasted, etc.) is His glory, but in reality He surpasses all this. What we are aware of is just one quarter of Him through his creations (both living and the non-living), while three quarters of Him are beyond our senses and comprehension, and totally divine.
The one-quarter thing in there is just a figure of speech. Take it to mean -very small part.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 am

It's great- thanks for sharing Mr. Indo.

There is no other view for me on this..I truly believe in an awesome Him/Power- who is beyond my senses and comprehension.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:another nice link:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120705/images/05zzquestionbig.jpg

The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle Higgs10
LOL
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:05 pm

For all those god loving people the guy who first wrote about this god particle started by calling this a goddamm particle due to its complexity and mystery. This particle is no different than a proton and electron in its relationship with god. It is bound by rules and it will be explained in detail at some point in time.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Here you go Maria..

The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle 580968_10150907401483372_1598479274_n
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:34 pm

TBT,

Would certainly like to see the explanations!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks DM:D!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Maria...your Belief in the divine is making you use 'illusive' rather than simply 'elusive' Smile

The buzz about God..well, Higgs boson particle Il_570xN.294352045_large

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:19 pm

atcg,

Thanks for the correction..think "elusive" is the right term..don't think the particle is "illusive".

And appreciate the nice-polite/smart way you made the faith association to point out my error Very Happy!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:38 pm

By now, everything has been said about the discovery...except this interesting write-up on S N Bose...

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/the-man-behind-boson/?emc=eta1

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:45 pm

I heard people on the radio pronouncing the word boson with a z sound. I guess they don't know the origin of the word.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down