Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IIST)

3 posters

Go down

INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IIST) Empty INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IIST)

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:36 am

just heard about this college from someone.

http://www.iist.ac.in/

i hear their entrance test is tougher than iit-jee. while education is free, undergrads have to complete 5 years of service in ISRO under contractual obligation. no idea if these are facts or hearsay. established in 2007.

Back to top Go down

INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IIST) Empty Re: INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IIST)

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:59 am

Wow..if true, that's a fantastic way of mopping in the brightest talent into ISRO
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IIST) Empty Re: INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IIST)

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:08 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Wow..if true, that's a fantastic way of mopping in the brightest talent into ISRO
5 year bond is true. http://isat2012.iist.ac.in/template/default/downloads/brochure.pdf

Placement in ISRO
Every student who completes the B.Tech. programme of IIST, meeting specified academic
standards, will be absorbed into ISRO as Scientist/Engineer, ‘SC’ (Pay Band- Rs. 15,600-
39,100, Grade Pay- Rs. 5,400/- Initial Pay: Rs. 21,000/- + DA + HRA). To be eligible for
absorption into ISRO, the student should have completed the B.Tech. programme in four
years with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.5 (out of a maximum
of 10). The maximum time limit allowed for the successful completion of a programme is six
years, but any extension beyond the normal four years renders the student ineligible for
absorption into ISRO. A student who joins IIST to pursue B.Tech. Programme is required to
furnish a bond to serve ISRO for five years immediately after the completion of B. Tech.
education is also free for select candidates. http://www.educationobserver.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11257

IIST will bear tuition fees, hostel fees, boarding etc of every student who score a grade point average of 6 out of 10 in the All India Admission Test. It also book allowance of Rs.3000/- in every semester to all students
yes, it is the best way to get the brightest into ISRO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Wow..if true, that's a fantastic way of mopping in the brightest talent into ISRO
5 year bond is true. http://isat2012.iist.ac.in/template/default/downloads/brochure.pdf

Placement in ISRO
Every student who completes the B.Tech. programme of IIST, meeting specified academic
standards, will be absorbed into ISRO as Scientist/Engineer, ‘SC’ (Pay Band- Rs. 15,600-
39,100, Grade Pay- Rs. 5,400/- Initial Pay: Rs. 21,000/- + DA + HRA). To be eligible for
absorption into ISRO, the student should have completed the B.Tech. programme in four
years with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.5 (out of a maximum
of 10). The maximum time limit allowed for the successful completion of a programme is six
years, but any extension beyond the normal four years renders the student ineligible for
absorption into ISRO. A student who joins IIST to pursue B.Tech. Programme is required to
furnish a bond to serve ISRO for five years immediately after the completion of B. Tech.
education is also free for select candidates. http://www.educationobserver.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11257

IIST will bear tuition fees, hostel fees, boarding etc of every student who score a grade point average of 6 out of 10 in the All India Admission Test. It also book allowance of Rs.3000/- in every semester to all students
yes, it is the best way to get the brightest into ISRO.

Not so fast... This 5 yr contract thingie is a killer and a non-starter. If anything, it will turn away the brightest. The brightest want to do BTech and then go to eye eye Yem, and make big money.

Another thing, just went thorugh the Aero faculty list. Full of Malayalees and ONE guy from Univ of Florida and everyone else is local. quite a lot of them without a PhD. Not a great start.

Will see how this flies in 20 years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:46 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Not so fast... This 5 yr contract thingie is a killer and a non-starter. If anything, it will turn away the brightest. The brightest want to do BTech and then go to eye eye Yem, and make big money.
you are forgetting that india is a poor country with a high population. who cares about the brightest...let them go to iits to earn the "iit calibre (your words)" certificate. let the middle classes too go to iits and nits. there will still be a lot of bright students make a bee line for this offer of free education backed by a guaranteed 30k+ monthly (entry level) package (add vda, hra). get real! these bright students, trained in an ISRO environment, will do more good for ISRO that the other bright students who go the iit-iim way and that is what ISRO seeks through this institution/scheme/act.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:48 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:just heard about this college from someone.

http://www.iist.ac.in/

i hear their entrance test is tougher than iit-jee. while education is free, undergrads have to complete 5 years of service in ISRO under contractual obligation. no idea if these are facts or hearsay. established in 2007.

Youy can write entrans exams in Hindi and English.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Not so fast... This 5 yr contract thingie is a killer and a non-starter. If anything, it will turn away the brightest. The brightest want to do BTech and then go to eye eye Yem, and make big money.
you are forgetting that india is a poor country with a high population. who cares about the brightest...let them go to iits to earn the "iit calibre (your words)" certificate. let the middle classes too go to iits and nits. there will still be a lot of bright students make a bee line for this offer of free education backed by a guaranteed 30k+ monthly (entry level) package (add vda, hra). get real! these bright students, trained in an ISRO environment, will do more good for ISRO that the other bright students who go the iit-iim way and that is what ISRO seeks through this institution/scheme/act.

Hahaha.. just see your own previous post. YOu were the one excited that this is a great thing to attract the BrightEST.... and hence focus on the brightEST... and not do a Rashmunesque argument.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:58 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Hahaha.. just see your own previous post. YOu were the one excited that this is a great thing to attract the BrightEST.... and hence focus on the brightEST... and not do a Rashmunesque argument.
i habitually call "bright" students "brightest." i know the distinction between the two but you do not. i will continue to use the two terms interchangeably but for you i have to make a departure. i was much intrigued by your phrase "iit calibre" once. like the "brightest" consultants are those who have failed miserably in what they give consultancy for (and they have their excuses), you are the best consultant here about iits and iims. care to explain what "iit calibre" means for a change? this is the second time i am asking you this question.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Another thing, just went thorugh the Aero faculty list. Full of Malayalees and ONE guy from Univ of Florida and everyone else is local. quite a lot of them without a PhD. Not a great start.
bullshit. http://www.iist.ac.in/mhrd-mandatory-disclosure/faculty-members

aerospace engineering has 4 non-phds in a faculty strength of 17.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:56 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Another thing, just went thorugh the Aero faculty list. Full of Malayalees and ONE guy from Univ of Florida and everyone else is local. quite a lot of them without a PhD. Not a great start.
bullshit. http://www.iist.ac.in/mhrd-mandatory-disclosure/faculty-members

aerospace engineering has 4 non-phds in a faculty strength of 17.

4 guys without a PhD is a lot if they want to be a "GREAT" institution. You forget the point I made... except ONE Florida PhD, everyone else has a local PhD. While a few may be goodly, the rest are not necessarily goodly.

Now, dont start Indian PhD is as goodly as phoren PhD - that is another topic.

"IIt calibre" depends on the post. In all likelihood, I should have said that in a sarcastic way - as I dont believe in IIT/IIM/MIT calibre (crap). Goodly is goodly and badly is badly.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 am

real life example -- got news right now: one of my friend's son was interested in aerospace engineering. his first choice was iist. he could not get a rank in the iist entrance exam. but he got a rank in iit and was offered electronics engineering in iit, chennai (but not aerospace -- very limited seats). he has just declined it and accepted aerospace engineering in a private engineering college in noida.

eat crow marathadi saamiyaar. (i have not made up the above example.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:24 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:real life example -- got news right now: one of my friend's son was interested in aerospace engineering. his first choice was iist. he could not get a rank in the iist entrance exam. but he got a rank in iit and was offered electronics engineering in iit, chennai (but not aerospace -- very limited seats). he has just declined it and accepted aerospace engineering in a private engineering college in noida.

eat crow marathadi saamiyaar. (i have not made up the above example.)

What u talking about... I am saying that this school has a long way to establish itself as a top notch respected school - and here you are blabbering about IIT and IIST ranking blah blah... like a typical - if I may add stupid - Indian parent.

Do you know ANYTHING about academics other than evaluation by ranking. Heck...do you even know how anything is ranked?

Please stop advising your son about colleges and majors for his own sake.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:What u talking about... I am saying that this school has a long way to establish itself as a top notch respected school - and here you are blabbering about IIT and IIST ranking blah blah
eh? where did i ever talk about ranking? tearing hair out

you said:

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:The brightest want to do BTech and then go to eye eye Yem, and make big money.
and i just gave you an example of a bright-est student who does NOT "want to do BTech and then go to eye eye Yem, and make big money."

... like a typical - if I may add stupid - Indian parent.
what the hell!!

Do you know ANYTHING about academics other than evaluation by ranking.
who is talking about ranking? tearing hair out the boy in the above example KNOWS what he wants to do in life and is NOT seeking his parents's advice and does NOT "want to do BTech and then go to eye eye Yem, and make big money" as YOU might have imagined or advised him to do.
Heck...do you even know how anything is ranked?
where did i rank anything higher or lower that anything (upthread)? tearing hair out

Please stop advising your son about colleges and majors for his own sake.
scratch scratch scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down