Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do you guys think of this?

3 posters

Go down

what do you guys think of this? Empty what do you guys think of this?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:16 am

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/04/sport/pistorius-london-2012/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

are you for it or not?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

what do you guys think of this? Empty Re: what do you guys think of this?

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:43 am

Commendable! I know, ppl are saying that he has an added advantage of not having to bother abt the aching ankles, some of the calf muscles, etc., but I don't know how much of it can be true.

He probably shouldn't be participating in the paralympics. That may not be fair to the ones who are more handicapped than him, like the ones who have prosthetic legs from above the knee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:52 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/04/sport/pistorius-london-2012/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

are you for it or not?

I admire the guy for his determination, and I think in principle it is good. But, as in anything else, commerce will take over with companies developing better blades. Thi sis much like competition in developing better engineered cycles, swimsuits, spikeboots, etc... Except, all athletes have an equal chance to pick any of these "tools". in the case the blades, this option is available only to those with no legs, putting the regular athletes at a disadvantage. This is much like dope - which is used only by a few athletes who use different types of dope.

In short there will be 3 simultaneous competition in a single race. If there are 2 blade runners in a final field of 8 runners, the race becomes: man vs man; man vs technology; technology vs technology.

This is good for handicapped people and technology, but bad for the olympics in the long run.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:17 am

NOT.

Although this gentleman is inspiring in wanting to perform..if other enhancements (steroids/other performance enhancing drugs are nor allowed)..this should NOT be allowed too.

*I don't believe any of the studies done by the manufacturers and others showing there may not be any advantage over other natural performers..I think there is.

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:20 am

Maria S wrote:
NOT.

Although this gentleman is inspiring in wanting to perform..if other enhancements (steroids/other performance enhancing drugs are nor allowed)..this should NOT be allowed too.

*I don't believe any of the studies done by the manufacturers and others showing there may not be any advantage over other natural performers..I think there is.

Can regular runners use "springy" blade like shoes? Why not? Either it should be available to everyone or no one.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 am

what about people who've had knee or hip replacement surgeries or other kinds of prosthetic implants? are you for banning designer babies? what about people like michael phleps who have unfair natural advantages that an average person does not have?

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Maria S wrote:
NOT.

Can regular runners use "springy" blade like shoes? Why not? Either it should be available to everyone or no one.

In principle, I agree..but, I think they are quite different if one wants to come up with analogies..may be it's more like an athlete drinking coffee or coke/pepsi (caffeine and other stimulants..which can boost one's performance (and is allowed) vs "real" performing enhancing drugs (which are banned!)

Ban them all:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:33 am

Maria S wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Maria S wrote:
NOT.

In principle, I agree..but, I think they are quite different if one wants to come up with analogies..may be it's more like an athlete drinking coffee or coke/pepsi (caffeine and other stimulants..which can boost one's performance (and is allowed) vs "real" performing enhancing drugs (which are banned!)

Ban them all:)

And, what about those smart kids who use prescription "performance enhancing drugs" during exam times?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what about people who've had knee or hip replacement surgeries or other kinds of prosthetic implants? are you for banning designer babies? what about people like michael phleps who have unfair natural advantages that an average person does not have?

Good questions..

It's tough to answer questions related to Bioethics and Modern Medical advances.. (except the question about "natural advantages"- if one can say the great ones are "born with"..nothing one can do about it).

Saamiyar!

I know..hey, I am just offering my views..wish there were perfect lines drawn..about some things- esp. drugs..and what is "legal" and what is "illegal"!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:43 am

Maria S wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what about people who've had knee or hip replacement surgeries or other kinds of prosthetic implants? are you for banning designer babies? what about people like michael phleps who have unfair natural advantages that an average person does not have?

Good questions..

It's tough to answer questions related to Bioethics and Modern Medical advances.. (except the question about "natural advantages"- if one can say the great ones are "born with"..nothing one can do about it).

Saamiyar!

I know..hey, I am just offering my views..wish there were perfect lines drawn..about some things- esp. drugs..and what is "legal" and what is "illegal"!

I have a solution for a start:

Do a drug test before students take the test - like the athletes. If the tests show drugs, their tests will be cancelled.

Test all "blades", suits, etc...for prescribed toughness, stress-strain behavior, etc... if any of the tests fail, their medals are withdrawn and they are banned.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down