Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here is an important issue for discussion - Maria posted it on Sulekha CH

5 posters

Go down

Here is an important issue for discussion - Maria posted it on Sulekha CH  Empty Here is an important issue for discussion - Maria posted it on Sulekha CH

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:40 am

When values and priorities change.......

http://www.timescrest.com/society/the-inheritance-of-loss-8602

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Here is an important issue for discussion - Maria posted it on Sulekha CH  Empty Re: Here is an important issue for discussion - Maria posted it on Sulekha CH

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am

India is transitioning from a completely poor country to partially super rich country, without the associated planning and consequences(Duhhh...isn't that how Indians always do any project?).

A train changes tracks slowly and not at breakneck speeds - the way India is doing now and hence likely to derail in so many ways.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Here is an important issue for discussion - Maria posted it on Sulekha CH  Empty Re: Here is an important issue for discussion - Maria posted it on Sulekha CH

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:05 am

I like the name affluenza. The only thing missing in the article is a mention of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:07 am

Yeah. There is no parallel social development. Instead, there is corruption, moral degradation, fashion-secularism and pseudo-education.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 am

Guruvu-gaaru, you should take the lead in providing moral upliftment to the masses who are losing their way.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:17 pm

May be I should write a book on "Prahlaada-Chandaamaarka charitra". Smile

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 pm

i am confused since I don't get much of the content... was this a cordial exchange, or was it laced with sarcasms that the gk-challenged peeps like me don't catch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Yeah, it was a private conversation with Carvaka.

(His reference to Maslow's work is highly relevant to the topic though. As Uppili points out, some sanity needs to be created.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:i am confused since I don't get much of the content... was this a cordial exchange, or was it laced with sarcasms that the gk-challenged peeps like me don't catch.

I think it is ulta-phalut language. They are actually exchanging words of love and mutual care - of gult quality.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:i am confused since I don't get much of the content... was this a cordial exchange, or was it laced with sarcasms that the gk-challenged peeps like me don't catch.
Haha, you are not the only one confused. I am confused as well.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:32 pm

What a pleasant surprise!

Thanks Mr. Sandilya! Nice to see the articel/link being reposted here..And I am always happy to see two good people reunite, rekindle all that dormant love and caring flow:) I don't have to understand a wordHere is an important issue for discussion - Maria posted it on Sulekha CH  459784477 !

Seriously, I see this ennui, boredom, restlessness, apathy on the rise in the affluent classes in India (and booming affluence in some segments)..think no matter what anyone says..too much too soon, a social disconnect- a void (something missing in the soul- in my language) seems to exist more..

Will post more later.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Yeah. There is no parallel social development. Instead, there is corruption, moral degradation, fashion-secularism and pseudo-education.

Vakavaka Unkil, how does one bring about social development*?

*This is a serious koschen.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:03 am

May I take a shot at this..knowing a certain someone will has already agreed with me once in this lifetime..and that's not likely to happen again?Smile

Seriously..I am sure Sandilya can answer this..just sharing some of my thoughts..I understand him saying "social" development as in- "social consciousness".All of us should aspire for "the good life"- good financial status-independence and security and comforts which come from them, good relationships, good social status-recognition/validation which comes with it..I think articles like these are just reminders that..money/financial fruits alone cannot make us feel "good"- secure and satistfied.

When a child or adult for that matter, gets too much too soon..and somehow is influenced by perceptions that "money is what makes a person most valuable- above all", treats people who work hard and may not be affluent with no respect- as less valuable..and really "measures one's worth by money"..while they may hurt others, in the end there is a certain "hollowness"..and void which affects our self-satisfaction and leads to unhappiness, imo.

Some ways to "minimize" this.. perhaps includes, encouraging young people to have some empathy/understanding for others who serve us- least among us (*equality is something to aspire for, but may be too much to ask for..some fairness would be good enough)..sticking to ethical values, have less greed and being selfish at any cost..for people like me who do believe- faith based principles on simplicity (in any religion) can be helpful reminders too.

Add to that- physical distance from others (golden cages- living in isolated spaces whether it's an apartment/flat or gated communities) peer pressure to "buy/keep' up with everything money can buy even among very young people, and a sense that can make us happy..and Yes, too much time spent alone in e-life..and not interacting with others in real life etc..which all create a certain disconnect..ennui, apathy, joylessness.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 am

Was an interesting read..

The Royal radicals

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-sundaymagazine/the-royal-radicals/article3928150.ece

Never heard of this author Tabish Khair before..liked the title of his new book and it triggered some curiosity about him and his books..may check it out.

http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/review_book-review-how-to-fight-islamic-terror-from-the-missionary-position_1712097
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:25 am

*As one of my dear friends pointed out..in another site (!), the author does not seem to be consistent..Interesting does not mean agreeing with everything one says or talking to someone to be merely congenial-or to accomplishing something which may benefit someone- does not mean encouraging them in any way as Fox news often seems to headline their news (was in a waiting area for a few hours not too long ago- was forced to be among the captive audience, and it was quite revealing)!

Certainly don't find M F Hussain or Rushdie for that matter- interesting. If one wants to differentiate..Hussain's so called art is really sick and disgusting (imo of course!), regret wasting the few mins..looking at them.

I have consistently said..insulting or mocking anyone's faith and what they consider sacred..does not make me feel good or excited. The writing style of this author is appealing, the title and plot attractive..that's it, no reco at this time!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down