Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books

+7
Hellsangel
Propagandhi711
FluteHolder
southindian
ashdoc
MaxEntropy_Man
Idéfix
11 posters

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Empty Re: Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:25 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:i question the authenticity of this poem. I do not think Guru Gobind Singh wrote in this fashion about Aurangzeb.
This is because you have a hatred for Aurangzeb. This may be because some of your ancestors were roughed up by him when he lost his head towards the latter half of his rule and did some minor bad things that are best glossed over.

Rashmun wrote:He moreover the trash you are now posting is not from your favorite 'Hindu' newspaper.
I posted this from the SikhiWiki:

SikhiWIKI is an encyclopedia of the Sikh Way of Life written collaboratively by many of its readers. Lots of people are constantly improving SikhiWIKI, by constantly making changes, all of which are recorded on the page history and the Recent Changes page. Nonsense and vandalism are usually removed quickly.

These verses are completely authentic and attributed by Sikh tradition to Guru Gobind Singh. Here are other sources that contain the same verses with very similar translations.

http://www.zafarnama.com/Download/zafarnama.pdf, page 34
http://www.unp.me/f15/zafarnama-guru-gobind-singh-ji-da-likhiya-khat-auranzeb-nu-17015/

Here is a higher-quality English translation of the verses: http://www.info-sikh.com/EEZPage1.html

O Aurangzeb, king of kings, fortunate are you,
An expert swordsman and a horseman too: (89)

Handsome is your person and your intellect high,
Master of the lands, ruler and emperor. (90)

A skilled wielder of the sword and clever in administration,
A master-warrior and a man of charitable disposition. (91)

You grant riches and lands in charity,
O one of handsome body and brilliant mind. (92)

Great is your munificence, in war you are like a mountain,
Of angelic disposition, your splendor is like that of Pleiades. (93)

You are the king of kings, ornament of the throne of the world:
Master of the world, but far from religion! (94)
Guru Gobind Singh's verses praising Aurangzeb are recited at a gurdwara:

Watch from 5:24. As the section with praise of Aurangzeb begins, the person reciting the Persian poem explains to the congregation in Punjabi: "these next verses are those in which the Guruji praises Aurangzeb." Then he proceeds to recite the Farsi poem. Read the English subtitles.

It is clear that Sikhs consider this an authentic work of Guru Gobind Singh. Rashmun, your questioning of the authenticity of these verses just shows your hatred towards Aurangzeb. Why do you hate him so much?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Empty Re: Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Awesome. We are on to page 7 now.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Captur20Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Nizam-10

As you can see from the pictures above, there are significant differences between Aurangzeb and the Nizam. I am going to highlight those differences.

1. Miserly side: Aurangzeb's miserly side is a tad longer than Nizam's. Aurangzeb wins this one, but barely.

2. Philandering side: Aurangzeb's philandering side is tiny compared to the Nizam's. The Nizam wins this one by a lot.

3. Generous side: While the Nizam has a prominent generous side, Aurangzeb has him beat in this department. Sorry Nizam.

4. Treacherous side: Aurangzeb showed excellent potential in this department in his early years, but once he became top dog, he lost some of his treacherous edge. He was awesome at treachery when he fought his father and brothers. But the Nizam beats him easily with his support for Pakistan when India was at war with that ocuntry.

5. Deceitful side: There is no clear winner on this one. Both about the same.

6. Power-hungry side: The Nizam was no pushover when it came to hunger for power, but he can't hold a candle to Aurangzeb the Great in this department. Aurangzeb killed his own brothers to secure his hold on power. Nizam had no such luck; Aurangzeb wins.

7. Communal side: Aurangzeb has the stronger reputation for having a well-developed communal side, but that is only because the Nizam is not well-known outside Telangana. When evaluated on facts, it is clear that the Nizam has a much more elongated communal side than Aurangzeb. https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p150-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#67029
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Here is a helpful comparison of Aurangzeb with a not-communal king, the Nizam. As you can see, if Nizam is not-communal, Aurangzeb is at least not-communal x 10.

Criterion Aurangzeb The Nizam Who is less communal?
Appointed Hindu commander-in-chiefYesNoAurangzeb
Policy made by HindusYesNoAurangzeb
Extolled by Sikh Guru Gobind SinghYesNoAurangzeb
Abolished sati to protect Hindu womenYesNoAurangzeb
Appointed more than 100 Hindus to senior positions in governmentYesNoAurangzeb
Inspired Bollywood to name movie after himYesNoAurangzeb
Issued firman ordering people to respect Hindu temples and brahminsYesNoAurangzeb
Built temple in Chitrakoot/NandedYesYesBoth about the same
Formed private army to target all HindusNoNoBoth about the same
Imposed jaziya on all HindusNoNoBoth about the same
Did not impose jaziya on women, children and the elderlyYesYesBoth about the same
Gave money to Hindu temples/university in BenarasYesYesBoth about the same
Destroyed some Hindu templesYesYesBoth about the same
Note 1: The table has been updated with Rashmun's latest point about giving money to Hindu temples/university, and about destruction of temples.

Note 2: This table was growing too big. So I have pruned some unremarkable common features of Aurangzeb and Nizam, like both of them being praised for their generosity, and both of them not attempting to rape their brother's widows. While commendable, these characteristics do not help us differentiate between these two fine rulers, hence the deletion.

Note 3: I have revised this table to incorporate evidence of the Nizam building a gurdwara. Aurangzeb built a temple in Chitrakoot, and Nizam built a gurdwara in Nanded. I have no problem admitting this and changing my mind about that point of comparison. From "Aurangzeb", that line item now goes to "Both about the same." Congratulations Nizam and Rashmun!

Note 4: When I made the last revision, I was a little unfair to the Nizam. I said, if Nizam is not-communal, Aurangzeb is not-communal x 10. But that was before, when the temple building in Chitrakoot was an advantage for Aurangzeb. Now that both candidates are tied on that, I revised my comparison above. (Again, see how fair I am to the Nizam when facts are presented.)

Note 5: Added a line for Aurangzeb's firman. Also added Aurangzeb's ban on sati.

Note 6: Added a line about inspiring Bollywood movies.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:29 pm

panini press wrote:A good painting of Aurangzeb. Shakespeare wrote of the great emperor: "Yon Alamgir has a lean and hungry look!"

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYnE6ZxEVxW46zQD74TXp9k1aq4X1-SCOl_JxveRRzKsL2UYMsJj82uBSQ
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:30 pm

panini press wrote:When you looked at the picture above, you no doubt wondered, "what does that good-looking man look like in profile?" Wonder no more. Here is the answer.

Question for connoisseurs of Mughal paintings: is that the emperor's hair emerging from the back of his generous hat, or is it a peacock feather?

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Aurangzeb-1-sized
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:30 pm

panini press wrote:Here is the full picture version of the above profile. Notice the halo around his head. As you know, halos are depicted around the heads of Hindu gods. If Aurangzeb was not secular, would he have allowed a halo to be shown around his head? Think, think!

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Aurangzeb-portrait
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:31 pm

panini press wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:The most ROFLworthy parts of this epic thread are the mental maps of the two gents and of course, that ever expanding tabular comparison.
Thank you. I appreciate that so many people are avidly reading this thread for its informational content. I take my sycophancy rather seriously, and am willing to create my own illustrations to back up my hero-worship. The right balance of copy-paste, dotting, original illustration, absolute opinion, and personal subjective opinion is IMO the secret to running an epic thread.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:31 pm

panini press wrote:Here is another excellent Mughal painting of Aurangzeb the Great. Notice the elaborate headdress. Also, the Great Mughal liked his pearls.

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Hi-res
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:32 pm

panini press wrote:Here is another article that shows Aurangzeb winning over Akbar.

---

http://archive.cscs.res.in/MediaArchive/education.nsf/(docid)/ABBBB49355FDA724652571850021EECD

AURANGZEB WINS OVER AKBAR IN TEXT BOOK

It’s now officially Akbar vs Aurangzeb.

When the National Council for Educational Research and Training “rewrites” history in its new social science textbooks for the next academic session from March, it will ensure that Aurangzeb has more space in the chapter on medieval history than Akbar.

“Why should we give so much space to Akbar and less to Aurangzeb? After all, Aurangzeb had many more activities to his credit than Akbar,” says Hari Om, the sole professor of history in the council. The social science text books are being authored by NCERT faculty members. The professor is digging into history and an old debate: was Akbar more significant than Aurangzeb?

But the authors of the new NCERT textbooks believe they have a “historical” role to play — to set the record “straight” by dropping “distortions” from the new textbooks and also the “irrelevant”.

History, in any case, will have to undergo a massive surgery to fit into the new social science textbooks, which will teach not only history, but civics, geography and economics as well. In the process, “unwanted” parts of history the current NCERT authors believe to be unnecessary will be cut out.

For instance, Professor Hari Om, who will author the section on modern Indian history, says: “Why should we elaborate so much about the 1857 mutiny? We will just sum it up — its causes and the fallout.”
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:34 pm

In another thread, Rashmun says:

Rashmun wrote:in another thread Charvaka has been posting paintings of Aurangzeb. Just compare them to the Jahangiri paintings and you will find the Aurangzebi paintings to be inferior in comparison. Why is this so?

The comparison table on this thread has technical limitations because of which we can only compare him to Nizam. Now, have you seen any miniature paintings of the Nizam? If so, please post them here so we can compare them to those of Aurangzeb the Great. If not, I will be forced to conclude that Aurangzeb patronized miniature paintings while Nizam did not. That may or may not count against him in my definitive comparison table.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:52 pm

It has been brought to my attention that great secular rulers issue coins and such. So I am going to prove it to you that Aurangzeb, the greatest and most secular of them all, also issued coins.

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 8745103_1

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 20120921150743505c3567490b2
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:23 pm

nizam's jewelry:

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Nizams_jewellery_nab011

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:24 pm

photo of a dog sleeping in the sun:

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 3387702-608775-cute-dog-sleeping-on-the-grass

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:photo of a dog sleeping in the sun:

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 3387702-608775-cute-dog-sleeping-on-the-grass
Is the dog's name Aurangzeb? Did you know that Aurangzeb loved dogs? I didn't either, but absent links that prove me wrong, I am going to put that out there and make it the truth.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Time for some more pictures...

Aurangzeb on the peacock throne. Note that peacock is a Hindu motif. Aurangzeb's throne itself was secular, and he sits happily on it.

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Aurangzeb_T0000253_104
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Another picture of Aurangzeb in action. As you can see, there is a temple in the background which Aurangzeb has not destroyed.

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 The_capture_of_Orchha_by_imperial_forces_%28October_1635%29
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Here is another painting of Aurangzeb facing a mad elephant. The name of the elephant, you ask: Sudhakar. Now, if Aurangzeb was communal, tell me why his elephants have Hindu names!

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Prince_Awrangzeb_%28Aurangzeb%29_facing_a_maddened_elephant_named_Sudhakar_%287_June_1633%29
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Talking about Aurangzeb's secular credentials, he stopped the practice of stamping Koranic verses on coins. That's like taking out "in God we trust" from US currency -- only the most secular-minded people in the US ask for that.

---

Aurangzeb felt that verses from the Quran should not be stamped on coins, as done in former times, because they were constantly touched by the hands and feet of people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurangzeb#Coins
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Rashmun has failed to post Nizam's paintings. I am therefore forced to conclude, against my own preferences, that Nizam did not patronize the arts like Aurangzeb did. Given that pictures are very important to Hindus and frowned upon in traditional Islam, this proves that Aurangzeb was more secular, and the Nizam more communal on this dimension. I shall soon update the comparison table to reflect this.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Here is a helpful comparison of Aurangzeb with a not-communal king, the Nizam. As you can see, if Nizam is not-communal, Aurangzeb is at least not-communal x 10.

Patronized paintingsYesNoAurangzeb
Issued firman ordering people to respect Hindu temples and brahminsYesNoAurangzeb
Did not impose jaziya on women, children and the elderlyYesYesBoth about the same
Note 1: The table has been updated with Rashmun's latest point about giving money to Hindu temples/university, and about destruction of temples.

Note 2: This table was growing too big. So I have pruned some unremarkable common features of Aurangzeb and Nizam, like both of them being praised for their generosity, and both of them not attempting to rape their brother's widows. While commendable, these characteristics do not help us differentiate between these two fine rulers, hence the deletion.

Note 3: I have revised this table to incorporate evidence of the Nizam building a gurdwara. Aurangzeb built a temple in Chitrakoot, and Nizam built a gurdwara in Nanded. I have no problem admitting this and changing my mind about that point of comparison. From "Aurangzeb", that line item now goes to "Both about the same." Congratulations Nizam and Rashmun!

Note 4: When I made the last revision, I was a little unfair to the Nizam. I said, if Nizam is not-communal, Aurangzeb is not-communal x 10. But that was before, when the temple building in Chitrakoot was an advantage for Aurangzeb. Now that both candidates are tied on that, I revised my comparison above. (Again, see how fair I am to the Nizam when facts are presented.)

Note 5: Added a line for Aurangzeb's firman. Also added Aurangzeb's ban on sati.

Note 7: Added a line about paintings.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Captur20Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Nizam-10

As you can see from the pictures above, there are significant differences between Aurangzeb and the Nizam. I am going to highlight those differences.

1. Miserly side: Aurangzeb's miserly side is a tad longer than Nizam's. Aurangzeb wins this one, but barely.

2. Philandering side: Aurangzeb's philandering side is tiny compared to the Nizam's. The Nizam wins this one by a lot.

3. Generous side: While the Nizam has a prominent generous side, Aurangzeb has him beat in this department. Sorry Nizam.

4. Treacherous side: Aurangzeb showed excellent potential in this department in his early years, but once he became top dog, he lost some of his treacherous edge. He was awesome at treachery when he fought his father and brothers. But the Nizam beats him easily with his support for Pakistan when India was at war with that ocuntry.

6. Power-hungry side: The Nizam was no pushover when it came to hunger for power, but he can't hold a candle to Aurangzeb the Great in this department. Aurangzeb killed his own brothers to secure his hold on power. Nizam had no such luck; Aurangzeb wins.

7. Communal side: Aurangzeb has the stronger reputation for having a well-developed communal side, but that is only because the Nizam is not well-known outside Telangana. When evaluated on facts, it is clear that the Nizam has a much more elongated communal side than Aurangzeb. https://such.forumotion.com/t8491p150-aurangzeb-s-generous-side-and-love-for-books#67029
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

One more Aurangzeb story... note that his name Alamgir is to Mohiuddin Aurangzeb as Akbar is to Jalaluddin Mohammad.

---

.. there was a incident where alamgir's kid was very snotty to his teacher. one time his teacher punished the kid, and upon hearing this alamgir stormed into the teacher's chamber. The teacher was sure alamgir would be harsh for punishing his kid, but instead alamgir praised the teacher for doing his job. another time, the teacher could not bend down to make wudu so alamgir himself bent down for the teacher and washed his feet. imagine...an emporer doing such things today.

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?28320-Mughal-Emperor-Sultan-Aurangzeb-Alamgir-Bad-Ruler-or-Bad-History&s=e587a33cb8d10d337eb352b2e834848f&p=290244&viewfull=1#post290244
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Rashmun wrote:i question the authenticity of this poem. I do not think Guru Gobind Singh wrote in this fashion about Aurangzeb.
This is because you have a hatred for Aurangzeb. This may be because some of your ancestors were roughed up by him when he lost his head towards the latter half of his rule and did some minor bad things that are best glossed over.

Rashmun wrote:He moreover the trash you are now posting is not from your favorite 'Hindu' newspaper.

SikhiWIKI is an encyclopedia of the Sikh Way of Life written collaboratively by many of its readers. Lots of people are constantly improving SikhiWIKI, by constantly making changes, all of which are recorded on the page history and the Recent Changes page. Nonsense and vandalism are usually removed quickly.

These verses are completely authentic and attributed by Sikh tradition to Guru Gobind Singh. Here are other sources that contain the same verses with very similar translations.

http://www.unp.me/f15/zafarnama-guru-gobind-singh-ji-da-likhiya-khat-auranzeb-nu-17015/

Here is a higher-quality English translation of the verses: http://www.info-sikh.com/EEZPage1.html

Watch from 5:24. As the section with praise of Aurangzeb begins, the person reciting the Persian poem explains to the congregation in Punjabi: "these next verses are those in which the Guruji praises Aurangzeb." Then he proceeds to recite the Farsi poem. Read the English subtitles.

It is clear that Sikhs consider this an authentic work of Guru Gobind Singh. Rashmun, your questioning of the authenticity of these verses just shows your hatred towards Aurangzeb. Why do you hate him so much?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 pm

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:A good painting of Aurangzeb. Shakespeare wrote of the great emperor: "Yon Alamgir has a lean and hungry look!"

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYnE6ZxEVxW46zQD74TXp9k1aq4X1-SCOl_JxveRRzKsL2UYMsJj82uBSQ
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 pm

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:Here is another excellent Mughal painting of Aurangzeb the Great. Notice the elaborate headdress. Also, the Great Mughal liked his pearls.

Aurangzeb's generous side and love for books - Page 7 Hi-res
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:07 pm

panini press wrote:

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Patronized paintingsYesNoAurangzeb

Note 7: Added a line about paintings.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:48 am

On the topic of jaziya, here are some more details.

This tax was not collected from women, nor from young males or from disabled or elderly non-Muslim male citizens. Muslims who paid zakat were not exempt from war duty and a similar form of war tax was also collected from able-bodied Muslim adult males who refused to join war efforts to defend the country. There was, therefore, no discrimination between able-bodied Muslim males and able-bodied non-Muslim males when it came to the payment of war-tax, as long as the person in question would not volunteer in war- efforts for defense of the Muslim- administered state.

http://www.milligazette.com/news/3837-mughal-emperor-aurangzebs-reign

---

This clearly demolishes Rashmun's claim that jaziya is communal. It is clear that jaziya was secular just like the Nizam was secular.

Rashmun, don't be afraid to post about Aurangzeb.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:It is said that Aurangzeb was communal. This is not so. He built Hindu temples, and he appointed Rajput chieftains.

As his predecessors had done, Aurangzeb appointed the Rajput chieftains to many of the highest offices of state where they worked side by side with Muslims, writes Hambly.

http://www.islamicart.com/library/empires/india/aurangzib.html
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

panini press wrote:Aurangzeb had a love for books, as this article indicates.

Aurangzeb limited his reading to works of theology and poetry of a devotional or didactic character, writes Hambly.

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:49 am

panini press wrote:One of the reasons Aurangzeb gets an undeserved bad reputation for religious persecution, pettiness, cruelty and ambition is that he was a powerful ruler. In the course of ruling powerfully, he may have gotten a few people roughed up. The descendants of those roughed-up people from UP and similar places are today hating on this great ruler and giving him a bad name. They should drop their hatred for Aurangzeb and join me in singing his praises. There is still time, and there are enough things to praise in Aurangzeb's distinguished career. Together we can praise him!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:49 am

Of all the men who sat upon the throne in Delhi no name evokes such an image of somber grandeur as that of Aurangzeb.

It is worth noting that Aurangzeb's name evokes a higher-resolution, higher-color-density, sharper-focus, better-exposed image of somber grandeur than that of Akbar. If Aurangzeb was communal, this would not have been the case with his image.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 am

panini press wrote:No other king in Indian history was praised like this by the leader of another religious group. Akbar did OK, but most of his praise was written by lowly employees and representatives from foreign countries. Same with Ashoka, the people who wrote well about him were coreligionists he supported financially. Here we have an example of a great ruler whose praises were sung by the head of a different religion. If Aurangzeb was communal, Guru Gobind Singh would not have written this.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 am

panini press wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:did aurangazeb make many many mistakes? did he nashe mein rape like the nizam was occasionally known to do?
Yes, Aurangzeb did lose his head and make some minor mistakes in his latter years. My recommendation for him would have been to keep his head. But we can't let the good stuff about him be forgotten just because he nashe-mein-rape-kar-diya-ed a few times. None of your Tamil kings were extolled by any Sikh guru, were they?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 am

We have now established that Aurangzeb was the most secular of India's great rulers. No other ruler was extolled in such terms by a leader of another faith as Aurangzeb was by Guru Gobind Singh. Now, let us turn to another vicious canard that the descendants of the people he roughed up a little have sought to perpetuate: the idea that Aurangzeb was against music and the arts.

The picture of Aurangzeb built up in the story of the protest song is predicated on the widespread European view of him as a caricature villain, and the wishful thinking inspired by European imperial ambitions.

However, it also reflects Manucci’s personal antagonism towards Aurangzeb, and his difficulty in reconciling his vision of an intolerant despot with widespread evidence of musical activity in the first ten regnal years. All Manucci’s musical stories of this period are designed to prove Aurangzeb’s puritanical tendencies; for example, his anecdote about a
sarangi smuggling ring supplying Shah Jahan’s prison behind Aurangzeb’s supposedly censorious back.

Manucci’s ‘proof’ of long-standing antagonism towards music in this case is demonstrably false. Francois Bernier, a respected member of the court until 1668, noted that Shah Jahan continued to maintain all his ‘singing and dancing women’ by Aurangzeb’s express permission, in all likelihood until his death in 1666.

In other words, the truthfulness of Manucci’s anecdotes is entirely secondary to the point he is trying to make: despite the evidence, Manucci cannot escape his rhetorical need to portray Aurangzeb as an ancient enemy of Indian culture. On the contrary, prior to the burial incident, there is little evidence of imperial hostility towards music outside the pages of Manucci’s journal.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/81299631/Did-Aurangzeb-Ban-Music

To summarize: Aurangzeb's portrayal as a bad guy is due to European imperialism and it has no basis in fact. Descendants of the people who got roughed up a little, like Rashmun, spread these lies about Aurangzeb to make him seem like a bad guy, when he is in fact a generous, secular, artistic, book-loving, good guy.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:52 am

panini press wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't know enough about nizulu's history, but did he also lock up daddy garu like the great moghal emperor?
It is true that Aurangzeb the Great locked up his father. This is because his father did not treat him nicely. Despite Aurangzeb's proven experience, his father wanted to give the job to an upstart brother of his. If Aurangzeb had not moved to neutralize his brothers and lock up his brother, they would have neutralized him. By doing all this, Aurangzeb truly spared the entire country from the inefficient and corrupt administration of his father, and ushered in a glorious period of secular rule as attested by Guru Gobind Singh. In summary, Aurangzeb should be applauded for locking up his father. Also, all this happened before Aurangzeb lost his head in later years, so this helps us understand that it must have a good act. If this was a bad act, he would not have done it before he lost his head.

I don't know the Nizam's position on the matter of locking up one's father. This needs to be investigated in more detail in the separate thread about the Nizam, his generous side, and his love for books.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 am

panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:
panini press wrote:We have now established that Aurangzeb was the most secular of India's great rulers. No other ruler was extolled in such terms by a leader of another faith as Aurangzeb was by Guru Gobind Singh.
It is to be noted that Aurangzeb is more secular than Akbar and Nizam, the other two great exemplars of secularism. Compared to Aurangzeb, those two guys are small fry when it comes to secularism.
As Dr Reddy Rashmun rightly says, the Andhra Govt Guru Gobind Singh would not have been honoring the Nizam Aurangzeb if the Nizam Aurangzeb would have been a tyrannical figure as some portray him to be.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:00 am

Aurangzeb cannot possibly be communal, just like the Nizam was not communal. Consider this: Guru Gobind Singh praised Aurangzeb. If Aurangzeb would have been communal, Guru Gobind Singh would not have praised him. No Sikh leaders wrote poems in praise of the great munificence of the Nizams. Also, Aurangzeb appointed a Hindu as the commander-in-chief of his military. The Nizam did not do this. Aurangzeb's policy was set by Hindus. The Nizam's policy was not. Aurangzeb appointed Hindus to lots of prominent positions -- more than the Nizam and Akbar. Rashmun claimed earlier that the Nizam is not communal because some Hindu landlords sided with the Nizam's Razakars. By that measure, Aurangzeb is not at all communal. Rashmun is contradicting himself now just because Aurangzeb lost his head in later years and got some of his ancestors roughed up.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 am

Depending on one’s religious rearing, one will favour one view over the other. For example, most Hindus castigate Aurangzeb as a religious bigot who was anti-Hindu, who taxed them unjustly, who tried to convert them, who discriminated against them, did not appoint them in high administrative positions, who interfered in their religious matters. On the other hand, Muslims consider him to be one of the best rulers who was a pious, scholarly, saintly, unbiased, liberal, magnanimous, tolerant, competent and far-sighted. To prove the view of the former group, a close scrutiny of the Government -approved text books in schools and colleges in post-partition India is sufficient.[1]

The second group depends mostly on pre-colonial (and some pre-partition) history, land-grant deeds and other available records. It is difficult to untangle this historical mess without scrutinizing the accusations against Aurangzeb rationally. Fortunately, in recent years quite a few Hindu historians have come out in the open disputing those allegations. For example, historian Babu Nagendranath Banerjee [2] rejected the accusation of forced conversion of Hindus by Muslim rulers by stating that if that was their intention then in India today there would not be nearly four times as many Hindus compared to Muslims, despite the fact that Muslims had ruled for nearly a thousand years.

Banerjee challenged the Hindu hypothesis that Aurangzeb was anti- Hindu by reasoning that if the latter were truly guilty of such bigotry, how could he appoint a Hindu as his military commander-in-chief? Surely, he could have afforded to appoint a competent Muslim general in that position. Banerjee further stated: "No one should accuse Aurangzeb of being communal-minded. In his administration, the state policy was formulated by Hindus. Two Hindus held the highest position in the State Treasury. Some prejudiced Muslims even questioned the merit of his decisions to appoint non-Muslims to such high offices. The Emperor refuted that by stating that he had been following the dictates of the Shariah (Islamic Law) which demands appointing right persons in right positions."

---

Rashmun has repeatedly claimed that Aurangzeb was communal. It is clear that he was not. Unlike the Nizam whose commander-in-chief was Muslim, Aurangzeb appointed a Hindu. How could Aurangzeb have targeted Hindus if his policy was formulated by Hindus? Rashmun stands clearly exposed by Banerjeeji.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Aurangzeb was communal because he reimposed jaziya (special tax on non-muslims). Nizam did not impose jaziya on non-muslims.
It is true that Aurangzeb unfortunately imposed jaziya on his subjects. This was because he lost his head in later years. We should not blame Aurangzeb for this, we should blame his head which became lost to Aurangzeb. We know that other good rulers like the Nizam also lost their heads sometimes, but that doesn't take away from the good deeds they did earlier. Same deal here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:03 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:i have already stated that Aurangzeb was communal and i gave the evidence: he reimposed jaziya.
You are wrong. Aurangzeb cannot possibly be communal, just like the Nizam was not communal. Consider this: Guru Gobind Singh praised Aurangzeb. If Aurangzeb would have been communal, Guru Gobind Singh would not have praised him. No Sikh leaders wrote poems in praise of the great munificence of the Nizams. Also, Aurangzeb appointed a Hindu as the commander-in-chief of his military. The Nizam did not do this. Aurangzeb's policy was set by Hindus. The Nizam's policy was not. Aurangzeb appointed Hindus to lots of prominent positions -- more than the Nizam and Akbar. You claimed earlier that the Nizam is not communal because some Hindu landlords sided with the Nizam's Razakars. By that measure, Aurangzeb is not at all communal. Please do not contradict yourself now just because Aurangzeb lost his head in later years and got some of your ancestors roughed up.

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:04 am

panini press wrote:Rashmun, I am really happy to note that you are googling for evidence of Sikh leaders praising the Nizam. I do hope you find something as effusive as Guru Gobind Singh's praise of Aurangzeb. Good luck to you and the Nizam!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 am

Rashmun wrote:i am only claiming that eraly cannot be considered an authority on mughal india because he does not know persian. ... all the contemporary historical accounts of this period of indian history are in persian.
Rashmun congratulations on reading the autobiography of the grandfather of the illustrious Aurangzeb the Great. This gives you authority on Mughal India. I presume you can read and write Farsi. If you can't, never mind, move the goalpost at a later date and that will be that.

PS: When you said all above, I am sure you didn't mean all in the traditional, almost old-fashioned sense of the word. You meant to automatically exclude the writings of contemporary European observers like one Sir Thomas Roe. It is quite obvious, really.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:06 am

These references clearly show that accusations of forced conversion and religious intolerance are false. It is also evident that since the independence of India in 1947, there has been an overt attempt by revisionist, bigoted Hindu historians in India to malign the Muslim history.

---

It is sad to see Rashmun side with revisionist, bigoted Hindu historians -- despite professing belief in secularism -- when it comes to the secular legacy of Aurangzeb the Great.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:07 am

Rashmun has repeatedly accused Aurangzeb of being communal, using the idea that he imposed jaziya on Hindus. Here is the truth about the jaziya.

---

Now let us deal with Aurangzeb’s imposition of Jizya tax which had drawn severe criticism from many Hindu historians. It is true that Jizya was lifted during the reign of Akbar and Jahangir and that Aurangzeb later reinstated it.

Before I delve into the subject of Aurangzeb’s Jizya tax, or taxing the non-Muslims, it is worthwhile to note that Jizya is nothing more than a war exemption tax which was collected only from able-bodied non-Muslim young male citizens who did not want to volunteer for the defence of the country. There was no Jizya if they volunteered to fight for the country. No such tax was collected from non-Muslims who joined to defend the country.

---

As Rashmun helpfully explained earlier, this is very similar to what the Razakars did. If a Hindu were to join the Razakars in fighting the enemies of the state he would be welcomed. If he refused to join up and instead supported the enemies of the state, he would be punished as a traitor. You cannot call the ruler who created one system communal while calling the creator of the other system secular.

I shall have more to copy-paste on this in subsequent posts.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 am

A stone inscription in the historic Balaji or Vishnu Temple, located north of Chitrakut Balaghat, still shows that it was commissioned by the Emperor himself. The proof of Aurangzeb’s land grant for famous Hindu religious sites in Kashi (Varanasi) can easily be verified from the deed records extant at those sites. The same textbook reads: "During the 50-year reign of Aurangzeb, not a single Hindu was forced to embrace Islam. He did not interfere with any Hindu religious activities." (p. 138)

---

It is high time that people like Rashmun stopped calling Aurangzeb communal. He was clearly secular in that he gave land grants to temples in Kashi, the epicenter of Hinduism located in the holy state of Uttar Pradesh.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:09 am

Some of the Hindu historians have accused Aurangzeb of demolishing Hindu temples. How factual is this accusation against a man who has been known to be a saintly man, a strict adherent of Islam? The Qur’an prohibits any Muslim to impose his will on a non-Muslim by stating that "There is no compulsion in religion." (Qur’an: Surah al-Baqarah). The Surah al-Kafiroon (The Rejecters) clearly states: "To you is your religion and to me is mine." It would be totally unbecoming of a learned scholar of Islam of his stature, as Aurangzeb was known to be, to do things which are contrary to the dictates of the Qur’an.

This is conclusive proof that Aurangzeb did not really destroy the temples he is accused of destroying. If he did destroy those temples, there is no way he would be considered a saintly emperor.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:10 am

It seems unbelievable but it is reportedly a historical fact that Mughal emperor Aurangzeb built a temple 323 years ago at Chitrakoot, a region now divided between UP and MP.

[Aurangzeb] ordered his men to build a grand temple then and there. He also conferred 330 bighas of precious and fertile land with seven villages and one rupee daily from the state treasury for the maintenance of the temple. These villages are Hamutha, Chitrakoot, Rodra, Sarya, Madri, Jarva and Dohariya in Allahabad district, UP.

What we have always known and Aurangzeb must have known too, is that Chitrakoot, today in shambles and civic disarray, is sacred ground, the abode of Lord Ram, Sitaji and Lakshman for nearly eleven and a half years of their exile.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/NM21/Aurangzeb-at-Chitrakoot/Article1-199287.aspx
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next