Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinion: 'Think rationally about learning Hindi and it will make sense'

3 posters

Go down

Opinion: 'Think rationally about learning Hindi and it will make sense' Empty Opinion: 'Think rationally about learning Hindi and it will make sense'

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:48 am

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/think-rationally-about-learning-hindi-and-it-will-make-sense/article3942784.ece

Back to top Go down

Opinion: 'Think rationally about learning Hindi and it will make sense' Empty Re: Opinion: 'Think rationally about learning Hindi and it will make sense'

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:59 am

Like the shop keeper in Madurai, anyone who needs to use Hindi will learn the language. Just like anyone who needs to speak in German will learn German. So why give lengthy speeches or write op-eds on the virtues of Hindi and how advisable it is to learn the language?

The more this needless sermonizing, the more the dislike for that khichdi language.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Opinion: 'Think rationally about learning Hindi and it will make sense' Empty Re: Opinion: 'Think rationally about learning Hindi and it will make sense'

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:01 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Like the shop keeper in Madurai, anyone who needs to use Hindi will learn the language. Just like anyone who needs to speak in German will learn German. So why give lengthy speeches or write op-eds on the virtues of Hindi and how advisable it is to learn the language?

The more this needless sermonizing, the more the dislike for that khichdi language.

what about the fact that the first language of most south indian muslims is Dakhini, a variant of Hindustani?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:05 am

i lived the first 22 years of my life continuously in india, a fair portion of it in TN. i had lots of muslim friends. i first learned of the term duckini when rashmun wrote about it in sulekha coffeehouse.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:08 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i lived the first 22 years of my life continuously in india, a fair portion of it in TN. i had lots of muslim friends. i first learned of the term duckini when rashmun wrote about it in sulekha coffeehouse.

that is because your friends did not know of Dakhini as Dakhini. It is sometimes called Dakhini urdu and sometimes Dakhini Hindi. When your muslim friends from TN told you that their first language is urdu, what they actually meant is that their first language is Dakhini urdu or Dakhini.

I find it ironical that the same person who goes around thumping his chest with respect to the fact that all languages in India should be respected is now showing disrespect to the Dakhini language which is the lingua franca of the vast majority of south indian muslims. it is as if he is kicking south indian muslims on their teeth since he is mocking their language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 am

Dakhni is the lingua franca of the Deccan. The Deccan is roughly the area between the Narmada and Tungabhadra or Krishna. On the east it is bounded by the Mahanadi and on the west by the Western Ghats. It is the great South Indian plateau. Politically it is comprised of Berar (present-day Vidarbha with Nagpur as its important city), ten Telangana districts of Andhra Pradesh, the Maharashtra districts of Latur, Nanded, Ahmednagar, Beed and Aurngabad, and the Karnataka districts of Bijapur, Bidar, Gulbarga, Raichur and Bellary.

However as a spoken language Dakhni is widely used even outside this region. It is the lingua franca of all the Muslims in South India and is understood by all those who have access to Hindi.

http://www.bangalorenotes.com/dakhni.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i lived the first 22 years of my life continuously in india, a fair portion of it in TN. i had lots of muslim friends. i first learned of the term duckini when rashmun wrote about it in sulekha coffeehouse.

that is because your friends did not know of Dakhini as Dakhini. It is sometimes called Dakhini urdu and sometimes Dakhini Hindi. When your muslim friends from TN told you that their first language is urdu, what they actually meant is that their first language is Dakhini urdu or Dakhini.

I find it ironical that the same person who goes around thumping his chest with respect to the fact that all languages in India should be respected is now showing disrespect to the Dakhini language which is the lingua franca of the vast majority of south indian muslims. it is as if he is kicking south indian muslims on their teeth since he is mocking their language.

my muslim friends from TN spoke tamil outside their homes and tamil inside their homes, albeit sprinkled with arabic words. tamil was spoken by tamilian muslims as early as the 17th century. read about umaruppulavar and the seerAppurANam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umaru_Pulavar
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

my muslim friends from TN spoke tamil outside their homes and tamil inside their homes, albeit sprinkled with arabic words.

There is only one exception to the general rule about Dakhini being the first language of all south indian muslims. Muslims from the extreme south of tamil nadu do not speak Dakhini as their first language. This may have to do with the following map:

Opinion: 'Think rationally about learning Hindi and it will make sense' MapIndia

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:19 am

you seem to be unaware of the history of islam in southern india which developed independent of islam in north india. in fact islam first came to kerala before northindians knew of islam. the lingua franca of kerala muslims is most definitely malayalam. look up the moppillas or the mappilla muslims of kerala. so TN is not just an isolated case.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:20 am

does this sound like duckini or hindi?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R_XGW-MVxY
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:20 am

Sir, your personal experiences on the basis of a small sample of Muslim friends are no match to the deep well of internets-wisdom that Rashmun is drawing upon. Duckini is the first language of many South Indians. Accept this. Resistance is futile. All your base are belong to us.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Resistance is futile.

LOL! he is very much like the borg.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:you seem to be unaware of the history of islam in southern india which developed independent of islam in north india. in fact islam first came to kerala before northindians knew of islam. the lingua franca of kerala muslims is most definitely malayalam. look up the moppillas or the mappilla muslims of kerala. so TN is not just an isolated case.

I will have to investigate this issue of the first language of muslims in Kerala. On the other hand, do you concede that the first language of most muslims in karnataka, andhra pradesh, and northern tamil nadu is Dakhini (also known as Dakhini urdu or Dakhini hindi)?

Last edited by Rashmun on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:26 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Sir, your personal experiences on the basis of a small sample of Muslim friends are no match to the deep well of internets-wisdom that Rashmun is drawing upon. Duckini is the first language of many South Indians. Accept this. Resistance is futile. All your base are belong to us.

you are now talking about someone who has lived for several years in bangalore and who has travelled extensively in tamil nadu and to a smaller extent in karnataka, kerala, and AP. i have had friends and acquaintances from all four southern states. so you are not the only person who speaks from personal experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:you seem to be unaware of the history of islam in southern india which developed independent of islam in north india. in fact islam first came to kerala before northindians knew of islam. the lingua franca of kerala muslims is most definitely malayalam. look up the moppillas or the mappilla muslims of kerala. so TN is not just an isolated case.

I will have to investigate this issue of the first language of muslims in Kerala. On the other hand, do you concede that the first language of muslims in karnataka, andhra pradesh, and northern tamil nadu is Dakhini (also known as Dakhini urdu or Dakhini hindi)?

in very bold letters, you claimed that this duckini is the language of all south indian muslims. if i were you, i'd first be deeply embarrassed about some fairly substantial egg on my face before going on with my propaganda. let's deal with that first.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I will have to investigate this issue of the first language of muslims in Kerala. On the other hand, do you concede that the first language of muslims in karnataka, andhra pradesh, and northern tamil nadu is Dakhini (also known as Dakhini urdu or Dakhini hindi)?

in very bold letters, you claimed that this duckini is the language of all south indian muslims. if i were you, i'd first be deeply embarrassed about some fairly substantial egg on my face before going on with my propaganda. let's deal with that first.

that was a quote from a scholarly and erudite online article. in these kind of articles it is inevitable that certain errors creep in inadvertently. i have been careful to use the words 'most muslims' or 'vast majority of muslims' in south india in my posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 am

this vast majority excludes all malayali muslims and a fairly substantial number of tamil muslims. so much for vast majority. yolk dripping off your eyebrows. not a pretty sight. and yes yes we all know about casual errors and nashe mein rape type mistakes all too well.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:35 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this vast majority excludes all malayali muslims and a fairly substantial number of tamil muslims. so much for vast majority. yolk dripping off your eyebrows. not a pretty sight.

most tamil muslims speak Dakhini as their first language. it is only tamil muslims from the extreme southern districts in TN who do not speak Dakhini as first language. to the best of my knowledge, the percentage of TN muslims speaking Dakhini as first language is significantly more than those TN muslims who do not speak Dakhini as first language.

-----
with respect to kerala, i will have to investigate further like i said. wikipedia tells me that a subset of Kerala muslims do speak Dakhini and identify themselves as Dakhini muslims.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:36 am

ok you win. can't argue with the borg.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ok you win. can't argue with the borg.

the fact that a subset of Kerala muslims speak Dakhini and identify themselves as 'Dakhini muslims' means that you are kicking these people on their teeth when you ridicule Dakhini and call it Duckini instead. Please show more respect for minority communities. thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:02 am

Duckini-cluckini forever!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:20 am

panini press wrote:Duckini-cluckini forever!

Yo Telangan, your secular mask came off a long time ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 am

when 50% of a statement made as a generalization is found to be not true, it is no longer a generalization.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:47 am

Rashmun wrote:

scratch If you say so, it must be true.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:07 am

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

If you say so, it must be true. Too bad i got exposed. Since i have an inherent hatred for muslims because Razakars roughed up my ancestors i now get my kicks and my revenge my calling the first language of most south Indian muslims 'Duckini' instead of Dakhini.

*Corrected*

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:10 am

If you say so, it must be true.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 am

panini press wrote:I've been bruised and battered to such an extent that the only line i can think of right now is "If you say so, it must be true."

*Corrected*

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:23 am

If you say so, it must be true.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 am

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down