Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Devotees start worshipping Mosquito God

+7
Propagandhi711
Petrichor
MaxEntropy_Man
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Idéfix
Vakavaka Pakapaka
ashdoc
11 posters

Go down

Devotees start worshipping Mosquito God Empty Devotees start worshipping Mosquito God

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 am

To ward off dengue and malaria fever, people in Jharkhand's Bokaro district are offering prayers to the 'mosquito god' to seek a shield against the life-threatening mosquito-borne diseases.

A big mosquito statue was installed at Chas a day earlier and a procession organised Monday by devotees who beat drums and chanted mantras to appease the winged god.

A priest recited mantras in the presence of hundreds of people and the statue was also garlanded and worshipped before the holy fire.

"Hundreds of suspected dengue cases have been reported in the district. The health department is yet to wake up. We have sought a shield from the 'mosquito god' and tried to appease it by installing a statute and worshipping it," Rajendra Mahto, a district resident, said.

Four people have died of suspected dengue in the district which has reported around 130 cases of high fever this season. The blood samples of the patients have been sent to Ranchi and the district administration was yet to confirm the dengue cases.

"There is no facility in the district to detect dengue. The government has failed to act in time to curb the menace," said Poonam Sinha, another devotee of the 'mosquito god'.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health/Mosquito-god-worshipped-to-ward-off-dengue/articleshow/17374793.cms

Back to top Go down

Devotees start worshipping Mosquito God Empty Re: Devotees start worshipping Mosquito God

Post by ashdoc Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 am

snake worship in india started for similar reasons---because people were afraid of snake bites .

but it also reflects the govt's failure to prevent mosquito borne diseases .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Devotees start worshipping Mosquito God Empty Re: Devotees start worshipping Mosquito God

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:49 am

Mosquito worship is not any worse than how gowns and dadis think of the animal kingdom. Chaddis take an inclusive approach to the universe, don't think that they are ordained by the madam in the 72-sky to dominate and subjugate.

Leaving chaddis and monomaniacs aside, let us look at the third group - the fakularists! UP bhaiyyas are building a temple to Mulayam Khan! I suppose his pieceful followers will go there to do bhajans for cash transfers before elections.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 am

They are worshiping to a higher power to protect them from diseases caused by mosquitoes. Whether that higher power is represented as a statue of a mosquito or of an elephant headed one with a human body or as a virgin mother holding her baby or as the old white male with white beard and long robes sitting on a huge thrown in an outer world is irrelevant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:04 am

what these fools are doing is rank superstition. As science advances, it kills superstition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 am

Rashmun wrote:what these fools are doing is rank superstition. As science advances, it kills superstition.

there used to be a time when small pox was worshipped as some kind of a goddess. as science advanced it killed this goddess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 am

The good news is, they accept the scientific finding regarding the role of the little mosquito in spreading the disease. (In an earlier age, they would have simply ostracized the victims and blamed some random feature common to them). The bad news is, they now want a god to fix the problem for them. The community would be better served if, instead of installing a statue and worshiping it, they went on a cleanup drive to take care of the places where mosquitoes breed.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 am

panini press wrote:The good news is, they accept the scientific finding regarding the role of the little mosquito in spreading the disease. (In an earlier age, they would have simply ostracized the victims and blamed some random feature common to them). The bad news is, they now want a god to fix the problem for them. The community would be better served if, instead of installing a statue and worshiping it, they went on a cleanup drive to take care of the places where mosquitoes breed.

i agree w.r.t. your second point. w.r.t. your first point i will point out that there used to be a small pox goddess. in other words instead of worshipping the mosquito god they may well have started worshipping the Dengue God and erected a statue of this Dengue God.

As science advances it will kill these Gods who came into existence because of superstition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:07 pm

kinnera wrote:They are worshiping to a higher power to protect them from diseases caused by mosquitoes. Whether that higher power is represented as a statue of a mosquito or of an elephant headed one with a human body or as a virgin mother holding her baby or as the old white male with white beard and long robes sitting on a huge thrown in an outer world is irrelevant.
they are worshipping the mosquitoes, not any "higher power". they are not worshipping insecticides, mosquito repellants, mosquito nets, chloroquinine, or municipal workers who drain stagnant pools of dirty water either. apparently, there are billions of blood-sucking hindu gods that spread malaria.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:13 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/31/science/concerns-raised-about-genetically-engineered-mosquitoes.html?pagewanted=all
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:they are not worshipping insecticides, mosquito repellants, mosquito nets, chloroquinine, or municipal workers who drain stagnant pools of dirty water either.
I would have found it a tad less disturbing if they had indeed started worshiping any of these instead of the Mosquito God.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:in other words instead of worshipping the mosquito god they may well have started worshipping the Dengue God and erected a statue of this Dengue God.
Quite possible.

Rashmun wrote:As science advances it will kill these Gods who came into existence because of superstition.
The urge to worship someone is part of the way human beings are built. So even as science kills the old gods, some of us create our own mythical objects of worship.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:58 pm

On the science of it, read

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21567054-grappling-controversial-malaria-programme-heal-thyself

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:in other words instead of worshipping the mosquito god they may well have started worshipping the Dengue God and erected a statue of this Dengue God.
Quite possible.

Rashmun wrote:As science advances it will kill these Gods who came into existence because of superstition.
The urge to worship someone is part of the way human beings are built. So even as science kills the old gods, some of us create our own mythical objects of worship.

worshipping long dead kings is the surefire way to salvation. all rest is rubbish and unscientific.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm

panini press wrote:
Quite possible.

in my opinion a distinction needs to be made between someone having profound respect for a historical personality and someone worshipping a mosquito. for instance if someone starts hero worshipping the Charvaka philosophers to such an extent that he starts regarding himself as a Charvaka and even starts calling himself a Charvaka, it may seem a little peculiar but even so this behavior should be distinguished from someone worshipping a mosquito.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Yes, but no distinction should be made between hero-worshiping deeply flawed individuals and appreciating a philosophical viewpoint for being way ahead of its time.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm

panini press wrote:Yes, but no distinction should be made between hero-worshiping deeply flawed individuals and appreciating a philosophical viewpoint for being way ahead of its time.

All human beings have flaws. Even the greatest men known to history have been known to have flaws. Even the Charvakas had flaws. The key is whether a person's virtues outweigh his/her flaws.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:32 pm

"A big mosquito statue was installed at Chas a day earlier and a procession organised Monday by devotees who beat drums and chanted mantras to appease the winged god"

>>> Terrible! Even in this day and age people have to resort to such worships for relief.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:"A big mosquito statue was installed at Chas a day earlier and a procession organised Monday by devotees who beat drums and chanted mantras to appease the winged god"

>>> Terrible! Even in this day and age people have to resort to such worships for relief.

Is that really you, Sevaji? Not happy with rivr?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:46 pm

ashdoc wrote: snake worship in india started for similar reasons---because people were afraid of snake bites .

I would rather worship mosquito than believe in the govt. Atleast there is a historical proof that snake workship did paid off.

Oh Mosquito God! Please save me, myself, my family, my friends and not my in-law relatives from all mosquito related sickness and death.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:"A big mosquito statue was installed at Chas a day earlier and a procession organised Monday by devotees who beat drums and chanted mantras to appease the winged god"

Welcome to SuCH, Sevaji!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Sasthi wrote:Oh Mosquito God! Please save me, myself, my family, my friends and not my in-law relatives from all mosquito related sickness and death.
Ayyo!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:13 pm

panini press wrote:
Sasthi wrote:Oh Mosquito God! Please save me, myself, my family, my friends and not my in-law relatives from all mosquito related sickness and death.
Ayyo!

Ayyo Da! You treat your in-laws as your family? It creeps when ppl talk about national integ by watching hin movies but don't have a clue about family integ.

Andava!!!!!!!

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:what these fools are doing is rank superstition. As science advances, it kills superstition.

I don't support mosquito temples. However, your optimism re. science is also based on some superstition. Most science is pseudo-science and doesn't stand Popper's falsification. Take medicine, for example. For most diseases, causality is unknown and yet, we treat them. Physicians are glorified plumbers and medicine, essentially a trade! Pretend medicine, pretend doctor!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Sasthi wrote:
panini press wrote:
Ayyo!

Ayyo Da! You treat your in-laws as your family? It creeps when ppl talk about national integ by watching hin movies but don't have a clue about family integ.

Andava!!!!!!!

Née yamma gola ni...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:18 am

Rashmun wrote:To ward off dengue and malaria fever, people in Jharkhand's Bokaro district are offering prayers to the 'mosquito god' to seek a shield against the life-threatening mosquito-borne diseases.

"There is no facility in the district to detect dengue. The government has failed to act in time to curb the menace," said Poonam Sinha, another devotee of the 'mosquito god'.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health/Mosquito-god-worshipped-to-ward-off-dengue/articleshow/17374793.cms

The rate at which OUR fear of you is growing in SuCH, soon we might make you a God as well.

P.S. Looks like we need to start installing statues for our brand new "kOsu kadavuL"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:16 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:To ward off dengue and malaria fever, people in Jharkhand's Bokaro district are offering prayers to the 'mosquito god' to seek a shield against the life-threatening mosquito-borne diseases.

The rate at which OUR fear of you is growing in SuCH, soon we might make you a God as well.

P.S. Looks like we need to start installing statues for our brand new "kOsu kadavuL"

rofl...I think we need a rock statue at the minimum..with some small satellite statues of Akbar, nizam, ataturk, jahangir...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

rofl...I think we need a rock statue at the minimum..with some small satellite statues of Akbar, nizam, ataturk, jahangir...

propa is there any truth to the rumor that you have started praying before a statue (which u yourself made) of Mburuburu?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Sasthi wrote:
panini press wrote:
Ayyo!

Andava!!!!!!!

Née yamma gola ni...

CRAP!

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:32 pm

ashdoc wrote: snake worship in india started for similar reasons---because people were afraid of snake bites .

Not quite true Ashdoc. Snake worship did not start because people mostly feared snakes. Snakes / serpents brought many benefits to people (protection from mice and mice borne diseases etc.) in the beginning. That's the main reason people started revering snakes and even protecting them. You can google for more on this .. "About mice and myths (Lamberdar)"
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down