Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Sex w/o reproduction, now reproduction w/o Sex

2 posters

Go down

First Sex w/o reproduction, now reproduction w/o Sex Empty First Sex w/o reproduction, now reproduction w/o Sex

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:38 am

cnn.com/2012/12/20/opinion/prasad-reproduction-sex/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Editor's note: Aarathi Prasad is a London-based biologist and science writer and the author of "Like a Virgin: How Science is Redesigning the Rules of Sex".

(CNN) -- Last year on the 50th anniversary of the creation of the contraceptive pill its inventor Carl Djerassi spoke of the coming dramatic changes to reproductive options -- of the technologies that will have just as big an impact on society in the 50 years to come.

After sex without reproduction, reproduction without sex.

In an article in the UK's "traditional values" tabloid, the Daily Mail, titled "A Terrifying Future for Female Fertility," Djerassi said, "There are an enormous number of well-educated, proficient women who, when facing the biological clock, first pay attention to their professional ambitions...in the next 20 years, more young people will freeze their eggs and [sperm] in their 20s, and bank them for later use. They will do away with the need for contraception by being sterilised, and withdraw their eggs and sperm from the bank when they are ready to have a child via IVF."

Back to top Go down

First Sex w/o reproduction, now reproduction w/o Sex Empty Re: First Sex w/o reproduction, now reproduction w/o Sex

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:01 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
In an article in the UK's "traditional values" tabloid, the Daily Mail, titled "A Terrifying Future for Female Fertility," Djerassi said,

The title (A Terrifying Future for Female Fertility) is kind of a misnomer. The female fertility will be still there (as donor of egg) even when the reproduction occurs via IVF.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

First Sex w/o reproduction, now reproduction w/o Sex Empty Re: First Sex w/o reproduction, now reproduction w/o Sex

Post by Nila Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Funny. I know people these days get married in their early 30s then start planning for kids around mid 30s...take so much fertile treatments and have a kid and raise the kid as a spoiled brat.

The middle aged parents raise their kids like none had kids before and they are the only perfect parents in the universe.

Atleast this would save time with fertility treatments....

*no offence to anyone*

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Sasthi wrote:The middle aged parents raise their kids like none had kids before and they are the only perfect parents in the universe.
*no offence to anyone*

Lol. I know. I don't even attempt to give any advice. They look at me like, 'whaddaya know about having babies. They just happened to you while you were standing there clueless'.

Soon, maybe even a natural womb may not be necessary, who knows. Busy moms will rent out a womb space and bring them home when ready. Maybe they could have 4-5 babies at the same time too. If you can afford it, why not.

Every time I read any such article, I get reminded of the 100 kauravas from Mahabharata. Now that was one helluva Sci fi that imagined all this up back then. Or like some may argue that maybe we did have all that technology and then all was lost in Mahabharata.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Sasthi wrote:The middle aged parents raise their kids like none had kids before and they are the only perfect parents in the universe.
*no offence to anyone*

Lol. I know. I don't even attempt to give any advice. They look at me like, 'whaddaya know about having babies. They just happened to you while you were standing there clueless'.

Soon, maybe even a natural womb may not be necessary, who knows. Busy moms will rent out a womb space and bring them home when ready. Maybe they could have 4-5 babies at the same time too. If you can afford it, why not.

Every time I read any such article, I get reminded of the 100 kauravas from Mahabharata. Now that was one helluva Sci fi that imagined all this up back then. Or like some may argue that maybe we did have all that technology and then all was lost in Mahabharata.

Artificial womb? Then they may never experience the morning sickness Razz I think in MB it wasn't artifical womb? And also it was 101? I don't give any advice either, just tell them to call/mail their docs.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Kauravas were 100 born in a 'mataki'. That's what I remember. Let me google. Not like i got any life lately.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:07 pm

lol

qna.rediff.com/questions-and-answers/how-did-gandhari-gave-birth-to-100-kauravas-expla/15929947/answers

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:lol

qna.rediff.com/questions-and-answers/how-did-gandhari-gave-birth-to-100-kauravas-expla/15929947/answers

LOL somethings are better not to be known. I am having all unwanted imaginations. Like those things they show it on alien movies where the aliens lay eggs and their babies emerge out screaming.

Gandhari could've had a very high profile TV show.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:29 pm

ya well, that was the story. wiki says so too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaurava

Well, pretty selfish of Vyasa to work on just one person for it. Whatever happened to spreading your knowledge.

Also, ghee? Really?

some people think they knew 'cloning'.
articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2002-05-04/india/27124015_1_embryo-mahabharata-scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:15 pm

I am all for this. Nature is way off when it comes to fertilization and parenting. One is highly fertile in one's teens and 20s, but is not at all equipped to raise a child. Joint families took care of this problem back in the day. The child is raised mostly by their mature grandparents, uncle, aunts, by the whole village. Then came the trend of nuclear families. The young, immature and ill-equipped parents are left by themselves to raise their kids. Bad scenario! I sometimes wish someone invents a time machine so I could go back in time and raise my kids all over again, this time doing a much better job.

Sasthi is right that older parents are much better than younger. They really are! If someone freezes their eggs when younger and have the kids when they are older, then why not? More power to them!

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum