Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh my God

+3
Kris
Merlot Daruwala
Idéfix
7 posters

Go down

Oh my God Empty Oh my God

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 am

Saw this Bollywood movie today with the wife's relations. Paresh Rawal turned in an excellent performance as a naastik of the Raavan-Hiranyakashipu-Pol Pot persuasion. The denouement has the naastik converting to fervent belief when god (Krishna Vaasudev Yadav, in the mortal form of Akshay Kumar) reveals himself to our protagonist. But when it comes to Bollywood, my expectations are low and I am a realist. So I thought the movie did a good job of exposing the antics of religious "godmen" of various stripes, and the contradictions inherent in organized religion.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Oh my God Empty Re: Oh my God

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:27 am

It's a cinematic version of a very popular, long-running Gujju play.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:19 am

panini press wrote:Saw this Bollywood movie today with the wife's relations. Paresh Rawal turned in an excellent performance as a naastik of the Raavan-Hiranyakashipu-Pol Pot persuasion. The denouement has the naastik converting to fervent belief when god (Krishna Vaasudev Yadav, in the mortal form of Akshay Kumar) reveals himself to our protagonist. But when it comes to Bollywood, my expectations are low and I am a realist. So I thought the movie did a good job of exposing the antics of religious "godmen" of various stripes, and the contradictions inherent in organized religion.

>>>Wow! That's a coincidence. I was driving back from Mountain View after lunch and was talking about some Indian play-based movie to my wife. She asked me if I was talking about this movie. I didn't recognize the name till I saw your description. Yeah, I remember seeing it -wasn't bad.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:49 pm

panini press wrote:Saw this Bollywood movie today with the wife's relations. Paresh Rawal turned in an excellent performance as a naastik of the Raavan-Hiranyakashipu-Pol Pot persuasion. The denouement has the naastik converting to fervent belief when god (Krishna Vaasudev Yadav, in the mortal form of Akshay Kumar) reveals himself to our protagonist. But when it comes to Bollywood, my expectations are low and I am a realist. So I thought the movie did a good job of exposing the antics of religious "godmen" of various stripes, and the contradictions inherent in organized religion.

Whenever you come across an indian movie that doesn't follow the beaten path , you can safely guess that it is based on some foreign movie.

The man who sued god.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/plotsummary

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 am

b_A wrote:

Whenever you come across an indian movie that doesn't follow the beaten path , you can safely guess that it is based on some foreign movie.

The man who sued god.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/plotsummary
Hmm, I thought the new movie credited a play as Merlot mentioned. I wonder whether the play borrowed from this older movie or the other way around!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 am

i was sitting vetti and watched about 1/2 an hour of this oldddddd hindian movie with shah rukh khan, rishi kapoor and i think, divya bharathi. just saying. i am a better SI than you.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:11 am

oh even better, hubz was watching a scene from some old amithab movie
where a tiger, yes sir, a tiger saves a woman from men in brown uniform
who were trying to kill her and the tiger drags the woman into a temple
for safety, i assume. my daughter went "that tiger looks like a dog in
camouflage"

so, my whole family is with the national integration theme. eat that!

PS: i am not sure how we can be getting Z cinema promotional offer for over two months now so i have a sneaking suspicion that hubz paid for it!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 am

Impedimenta wrote:oh even better, hubz was watching a scene from some old amithab movie
where a tiger, yes sir, a tiger saves a woman from men in brown uniform
who were trying to kill her and the tiger drags the woman into a temple
for safety, i assume. my daughter went "that tiger looks like a dog in
camouflage"

so, my whole family is with the national integration theme. eat that!

PS: i am not sure how we can be getting Z cinema promotional offer for over two months now so i have a sneaking suspicion that hubz paid for it!

cho cute, na?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Impedimenta wrote:i was sitting vetti and watched about 1/2 an hour of this oldddddd hindian movie with shah rukh khan, rishi kapoor and i think, divya bharathi. just saying. i am a better SI than you.

Deewana. SRK's first release. Liked his intro scene/song and the title song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyVqOXXiPK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_XeK3BQGE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Impedimenta wrote:

We are getting them too, Z cinema along with B4U and Sony. My hubs is having a gala time watching all of 'em bollywood flicks. Wonder how long this is going to last.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 pm

I catch few glimpses of hindi tv serials as i walk around. Tyrant mother in laws, bad relatives, and huge obstacles facing the heroine. Not a single self confident normal professional woman. Tv could be pushing women back to dark ages.
Then comes "munni badnam ho gai". I am relieved that india is on par with west atleast in sleaze.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum