Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

treatment of women in india - on point radio show

3 posters

Go down

treatment of women in india - on point radio show Empty treatment of women in india - on point radio show

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:53 am

in 10 mins. unfortunately i'll have to give the live show a miss because of a meeting. i'll have to listen to the recorded version. being posted for the benefit of suchers (you can listen here):

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2013/01/07/fury-over-rape-in-india
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

treatment of women in india - on point radio show Empty Re: treatment of women in india - on point radio show

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks. I'll listen. This is one of my fave programs on NPR.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

treatment of women in india - on point radio show Empty Re: treatment of women in india - on point radio show

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 pm

for those who listened -- did ashbrook's conversation with his guests break any new ground? any new insight we haven't had before?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Nope. But both his guests covered all the relevant points. In particular, I liked the discussion on a society in transition. Of immigrants to big cities struggling to adjust to a completely different set of social mores and end up being the economic and sexual have-nots.

I would have liked some discussion on the courts and their role but the only mention was that highly misleading 600 rapes and 1 conviction gem, and of course how some judges have asked the victim to marry the rapist.

I had a good laugh at "Girish from Nashville" though. That NRI patriot called in to make this very profound point on how women politicians in India have achieved the highest positions but are only interested in making millions etc.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 am

Indians suddenly seem to have gotten out of slumber after the latest tragic gang rape in Delhi.

About 15 years ago, I read about a rape incident near Patna, but there was hardly any hue and cry from public, politicians or the media following that incident.

A poor woman was taking her son (about 4 or 5 yrs. old) to a doctor after the sunset. The kid was running a very high fever. On the way, 3 men attacked her and raped her repeatedly for more than one hour right in front of her seriously ill son. The woman could not make it to doctor's office / home in time and kid died. That story was forgotten immediately, without any proper action or further investigation.

The problem in India involving such cases was not only due to the poor law and order situation and the inaction and inefficiency on the part of police, courts and judges, but also total apathy on the part of public and media.

<p>
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down