Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India is shining, garibi hatao!

+2
Idéfix
Vakavaka Pakapaka
6 posters

Go down

India is shining, garibi hatao! Empty India is shining, garibi hatao!

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Kids in schools are learning that they don't need to learn anything! China must be laughing at India's self-destructive fukularism.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/Learning-levels-at-all-time-low-Study/articleshow/18066893.cms

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

India is shining, garibi hatao! Empty Re: India is shining, garibi hatao!

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:33 pm

No matter what the problem is, the problem is secularism!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm

We have a lot of those one-trick ponies here.

Another one - No matter what the problem is, the problem is the 'quota system'.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Kids in schools are learning that they don't need to learn anything! China must be laughing at India's self-destructive fukularism.

]

On the flip side of the coin is the cost of education in well-respected schools that is prohibitive for most middle class families, even at LKG and UKG levels. And for those who can afford, the likelihood of getting admitted is small given the long waiting list so a lot of children end up going to less expensive mediocre schools. In Chennai, it is tough to get a seat in a school like Padma Seshadri unless you make a reservation while trying to have a baby! Here's a link about what parents are willing to pay to get a seat:

[url=http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-11-28/chennai/35410310_1_lkg-kindergarten-seat-school]http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-11-28/chennai/35410310_1_lkg-kindergarten-seat-school

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:01 am

We have friends in Bangalore who were telling us how difficult it is get their kids into a good school. They described having their first-grader prepare for 2-3 months for an admission test plus interview. And these are parents who can pay good money. I seriously wonder if the incremental benefit from sending a kid to that school rather than another school that the kid can enter without that admission test is really worth it. I understand that incomes have been rising in India and people are willing to pay a lot for elementary school, but I would expect supply to keep pace with demand, and enough spots at great schools would be available for the kids of all upper middle-class folk who can pay big moolah. I wonder why that is not the case!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:39 am

panini press wrote:We have friends in Bangalore who were telling us how difficult it is get their kids into a good school. They described having their first-grader prepare for 2-3 months for an admission test plus interview. And these are parents who can pay good money. I seriously wonder if the incremental benefit from sending a kid to that school rather than another school that the kid can enter without that admission test is really worth it. I understand that incomes have been rising in India and people are willing to pay a lot for elementary school, but I would expect supply to keep pace with demand, and enough spots at great schools would be available for the kids of all upper middle-class folk who can pay big moolah. I wonder why that is not the case!

There are too few good schools and too many parents hung up on wanting their kids to study only in specific shools, regardless of cost and convenience.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:41 am

absurd. at some point it must be more cost effective to hire highly qualified private tutors and home school the kids. and the kids who attend these amazing schools don't appear to be amazingly smart or anything. in fact they seem somewhat dumber than my generation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:47 am

Before we even consider the literacy level of students enrolled in schools, it is disturbing to learn that only 55% of kids are enrolled in pre-primary schools and 75% in primary schools. On the one hand, there is the problem of shortage of and access to schools and, on the other, child labor estimated at 6.25% of 7-14 age group.

Based on 2010 statistics, 51.3% of the population is below age 25 out of which the breakdown is 13.6% for age group 0-6, 17.2% for age group 7-14, and 19.5% for age group 15-24. India has the youngest population in the world with the median age of 25.1 years. It is obvious that education requires greater priority for future growth in this country.

According to UNESCO, India's education expenditure is 3.3% of GDP whereas some recent data claims it to be 4.1%. Even at that India ranks very poorly being at the bottom 25% of world scale.

Some of the recent articles I read were informative. There is criticism levelled against RTE fund allocation (as part of the Right To Education Act) for its poor management and implementation. Also, there is the criticism that RTE is not necessarily translating to Right To Learning. Some critics don't believe in the student/teacher ratio of 40 (national average). One other criticism is that, until recently when Pallam Raju was appointed as the Minister of HRD, Kapil Sibal was handling both Ministries (Communication & IT as well as HRD) where education became a step child.

The most important criticism is India's focus on creating centers of excellence for a marginal number rather than to ensure basic literacy for all.

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/indias-broken-schools-cloudy-future

http://thediplomat.com/indian-decade/2012/02/26/indias-education-woes/

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/patna/Citizens-charter-on-Right-to-Education-Act-Reach-out-to-underprivileged/articleshow/17777074.cms

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 am

If I ever dedicate myself to charity, this is what I have wanted to do. Strong arm those kids out of child labor and let them complete atleast middle school.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:20 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:If I ever dedicate myself to charity, this is what I have wanted to do. Strong arm those kids out of child labor and let them complete atleast middle school.

You are right. Conservatively 20 million (could easily be twice that number) kids are forced into manual labor when they should be in school. The problem is particularly acute in north india. Read this article, please.

http://www.childlabor.in/tag/child-labour-in-india

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:absurd. at some point it must be more cost effective to hire highly qualified private tutors and home school the kids. and the kids who attend these amazing schools don't appear to be amazingly smart or anything. in fact they seem somewhat dumber than my generation.

There are a few other things to consider besides studies. In my school I learnt to play tennis. There was even a tennis coach. I had difficulty serving and he taught me how to serve. There were opportunities to play billiards, cricket, field hockey, football, badminton, table tennis, squash, and there was a swimming pool, a gym, and other facilities (like a rowing club).

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:05 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:If I ever dedicate myself to charity, this is what I have wanted to do. Strong arm those kids out of child labor and let them complete atleast middle school.
If I ever make millions and retire in my 40s, this is the area I want to work in as well. There are just too many underprivileged kids whose futures are being squandered away working for peanuts. In the meanwhile, it is easy to remotely fund the education of a kid or two back home.

At a public policy level, India would do well to reduce funding for its elite institutions (IITs, IIMs, etc.) which can fend for themselves quite nicely thanks to their alumni and industry support, and redirect those public funds to universal elementary and middle school level education. This, of course, ought to be in addition to stopping the criminal waste of public funds on language pracharing. But the problem is much deeper than that because of pervasive corruption and lack of incentives for teachers and school administrators to do a good job. People don't become teachers in India because they enjoy teaching kids; they do so because that's the only job they can get after getting a degree.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 am

panini press wrote:No matter what the problem is, the problem is secularism!

Fukularism, not secularism.

The main problem is - fukularism is pervasive and perverse, and anyone who questions it is a communal! It is a perfect recipe for corruption, inefficiency, ignorance, entitlements, etc. It is time that someone took a look at China and see why they are marching ahead. Chinese students in NA are no longer what they used to be. They can now compete with locals in graduate and post-graduate education.

Free education at elementary and high school level will be good (with financial support for the poor) but that shouldn't mean that kids just go to school and learn nothing. Teaching as a profession should be treated as an important activity (this issue is debated even in the US) and teachers should be chosen on merit and rewarded for doing a good job. Recently, in Bengal, some students who failed in a course went after the principal, the politicians got involved, the principal was harassed and the students managed to pass. This kind of entitlement behavior is fukularism. I bet most political parties in India support what Mamata did. Quality education that was treated as a divine way in old India, is no longer alive. Even metaphorical Saraswati is dead! Kumbha Mela is a waste of time.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:59 pm

"Quality education that was treated as a divine way in old India, is no
longer alive. Even metaphorical Saraswati is dead! Kumbha Mela is a
waste of time."

The above was written to evoke a response from PP scholar on my communal thinking!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 am

Guruvu gaaru, if it is not secularism, what is the etymology of this new word you coined?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:00 am

The word was invented by Uppili.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:24 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:The word was invented by Uppili.

I don't know what fukularism means, so kindly enlighten me. Also, I'd like to know the context by which Car is blaming secularism for all the ills in the Indian educational system.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:29 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:The word was invented by Uppili.
Well, Uppili started using the word "fakularism" to refer to "fake" secularism. In fact, he elaborated a couple of times that he didn't want to suggest an association with the word fuck, but with the word fake. You, guruvu-gaaru, are the inventor of this new word fukularism.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down