Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atcg II

5 posters

Go down

Atcg II Empty Atcg II

Post by Petrichor Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:54 am

"also, the protagonist should be a bad guy, they're a lot more fun. make him totally bad and ruthless, and have him do all the things in your subconcious that you're too civilized to do." - p nanda

"Did you drink?" Sujatha asked. The day had started out at 6 - wsj, financial times at 6 30 on the train, the morning call at 7 then the hustle for dollars began. corporate treasurers wanted a read on the interest rates, Jen from product control needed exposure numbers, Joe, the Ho compiled a list for lunch orders... Pavan hung out with the team after hours swilling Coors and trading barbs. He was taken under the wing of Kurt, the new englander who gave him two tips: 1. always wear white cotton shirts and 2. never miss a dentist appointment every six months.

Occasional boys nights out involved strip clubs and he managed to strike friendships with an assortment of characters of the cosmopolis.

Meanwhile Sujatha, desperate and without work to do, found a little band of sisterhood and went about days of their lives with ginger chai. They watched movies like Ghost and Sleeping with the enemy reruns, watched halloween parade in the village, and mingled with indian expats from london. Sujatha knew she had to learn and learn fast in a hurry.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Atcg II Empty Re: Atcg II

Post by Petrichor Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Pavan made a good impression with his bosses - his numbers were solid and he was a team player. He dished out as good as he got. Sometimes he returned from the bar back to work to finish up special reports or commentary. He believed in the theory that if you can lay a bet on something, do it full bore - bet the farm.

Meanwhile Sujatha was growing depressed with the cold, the miserable same-ness year after year of holidays, parties, restaurants and people. She was dejected after trying to convince several potential employers of her skills. Jr Pavan demanded a lot of attention and Pavan was not providing it.

He encouraged Sujatha to keep trying and said, 'you just need one break'. It was not very helpful.

Sujatha grew tired of Pavan's late nights and hard drinking style. She decided to go to India for a vacation and recharge. Pavan rediscovered bachelorhood and Karen from Accounting.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 pm

uh oh. Karen from accounting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Glad you are continuing Smile. I can empathize with Sujatha. Been there, felt that.
So this Pavan ka baccha is turning into a bad boy! *hmph!*

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Pavan met Karen at a housewarming on the Jersey shore. Even though it was a lunch there were lots of hormonal phremones in the air. Jeff, the host was in a playful mood and grabbed a friend who was bending forward, looking into his new refrigerator from behind while giving a wink to Pavan as he wandered around. Karen was a bit tipsy from the wine and Pavan learnt that she had just gotten divorced. She lived close to his home and said that she would love a ride home if Pavan can oblige.

Pavan kept looking at her as he tried calamari for the first time in his life. He liked the lightness of its taste - at least it was not too meaty. Karen kept hovering around him and giggled at his jokes. She was very curious about the women with 'lots of bangles and camels in the background'. Pavan gave her some pointers in the form of a travelogue and found himself feeling hungry...for the food.

After lunch, they left - Karen found out that he was living single life those days as wife was back in India. She invited him over and suggested they play truth or dare. He dared and found himself cuddling with her in front of her fireplace and hot chocolate. It was late night before he returned home for the dal in the fridge that Sujatha had left for him.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Pliss to provide more details of the fireplace part.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Arre...idhar to kuch lakhan ki rekhaa dikhayi de raha hai kyaa?!

Listen my job as an author is simple - get you started...what you do with it or who you do it with is not my zimmedaari.... Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Pavan continued his dalliances during this period of his wife's absence to score with a few other women - there was an Indian girl, Neha with whom he danced away at a nightclub, Heather, the girl he met while rollerblading in the park, and Amelia, from the travel agency when he booked the return tickets for Sujatha and Jr. Pavan.

Sujatha came back with a resolve to give her job search some elbow grease and managed to find a job, thanks to an Indian friend of Pavan. She was slowly getting used to the 9-5 rigmarole and after a few months discovered Pavan's indiscretions. Pavan's blackberry had a tell-tale message from months ago - a booty call from Amelia which he had omitted to erase. Sujatha stumbled upon it and confronted Pavan.

He admitted to the affair as it was weighing heavily upon him as well. That night Sujatha packed her bags and left with Jr. Pavan. She was given shelter by a single friend (girl) of hers - who had an extra bedroom to spare. Pavan figured it would be difficult for her to sustain on her own with a young child in tow but he was mistaken.

Pavan started drinking heavily.

Last edited by atcg on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm

who knew innocent pavan would get so many women. not one, but four four. oh pavan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Pavan getting all those women is a surprise. The much married paavam paavam guy from the conservative south india could impress four women in a row. Wow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Haha, this is an interesting turn.

BTW, I just finished reading the translation that you had done years ago. Good job! The story was nice, with lots of interesting little twists and turns.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:27 am

panini press wrote:Haha, this is an interesting turn.

BTW, I just finished reading the translation that you had done years ago. Good job! The story was nice, with lots of interesting little twists and turns.

please give link. BTW i miss Some Profiles' contributions in this area.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:42 am

atcg wrote:4

Pavan continued his dalliances during this period of his wife's absence to score with a few other women - there was an Indian girl, Neha with whom he danced away at a nightclub, Heather, the girl he met while rollerblading in the park, and Amelia, from the travel agency when he booked the return tickets for Sujatha and Jr. Pavan.

Sujatha came back with a resolve to give her job search some elbow grease and managed to find a job, thanks to an Indian friend of Pavan. She was slowly getting used to the 9-5 rigmarole and after a few months discovered Pavan's indiscretions. Pavan's blackberry had a tell-tale message from months ago - a booty call from Amelia which he had omitted to erase. Sujatha stumbled upon it and confronted Pavan.

He admitted to the affair as it was weighing heavily upon him as well. That night Sujatha packed her bags and left with Jr. Pavan. She was given shelter by a single friend (girl) of hers - who had an extra bedroom to spare. Pavan figured it would be difficult for her to sustain on her own with a young child in tow but he was mistaken.

Pavan started drinking heavily.

** good god. don't send him to my hospital when he goes into etoh withdrawals. bad is one thing but this guy is getting ill, soon you're going to tell me he's going to lose all his good looks and become a pot-bellied cirrhotic positive for hep c. c'mon, don't protract this phase of his life and turn him into a loser. remember this is the guy who won that "nail-biting" quiz competition. clean him up. and can we have more men in this story please? mmuah!

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm

good storytelling atcg for the mango man (aam aadmi), suchers, for i read -- let me calculate -- a third of what you wrote before i got lost in the spaghetti of too many characters and incidents. refreshing to see no esoteric prose. i am highly amused to note that "jhola bag" is now a colloquial phrase in india. its origin is in west bengal -- the commis wore them and i carried one in high school for it was fashionable then. it was by far the most comfortable thing i have carried on my body. that from a man who wears minimal and did not wear wrist-watches when they were necessary and hates rings, turtleneck wear and even baniyans. but i love lungi and jhola bag. if i had a choice, a lungi and jhola bag would be my attire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:03 pm

Sujatha was hurt deeply but soldiered on, with a job and a young child's demands for a proper childhood. Her day began at 6 and in return for the subsidized rent that she was paying her girl friend, she took upon herself the responsibilities of cooking a meal for the three of them. She dropped Pavan Jr. at extended school hours, and took 3 trains to reach her place of work. Her Jewish boss was a stickler for discipline and a workaholic that expected no less from his workers.

She rationed her lunches to a single soup costing $2.49 and did not even consider legal angles for getting back at Pavan. He kept calling frequently - alternating threats and cajoling but she was clear. He can see Pavan Jr. whenever he wants but she would have nothing to do with Pavan.

In the snakes and ladders game of corporate America, her business merged with a much larger firm - and her work ethic was noticeable to a wider panel of mentors and supporters. She quickly made a name for herself.

Pavan, meanwhile faced an uphill struggle at work - he frequently turned up late - a cardinal sin in close-knit financial teams. His boss tried the odd happy hour talk but none of them seemed to make a difference. He was spiralling out of control and knew it.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:24 pm

power to the woman, yay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Sujatha came back with a resolve to give her job search some elbow grease and managed to find a job, thanks to an Indian friend of Pavan. She was slowly getting used to the 9-5 rigmarole and after a few months discovered Pavan's indiscretions.

He admitted to the affair as it was weighing heavily upon him as well. That night Sujatha packed her bags and left with Jr. Pavan.

Would she have left had she not have a job? Probably not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:31 pm

kinnera wrote:

Sujatha came back with a resolve to give her job search some elbow grease and managed to find a job, thanks to an Indian friend of Pavan. She was slowly getting used to the 9-5 rigmarole and after a few months discovered Pavan's indiscretions.

He admitted to the affair as it was weighing heavily upon him as well. That night Sujatha packed her bags and left with Jr. Pavan.

Would she have left had she not have a job? Probably not!

if she didn't have a job, she may have kicked pavan out, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Pavan gave up the pretense of even going into work - within a few days the courier delivered a 'termination' notice. He was officially at the end of the road. He decided to go back to India - he packed up the years of living into boxes that he stored at a facility.

India had moved along during the years that he had spent abroad. He was out of his element and kept very odd hours. He tried to connect with his old college buddies for drinking sessions - almost all of them had families and led busy lives. They did not particularly want to entertain a friend with a story about his singlehood.

He thoroughly hated the India return. It reminded him of all the reasons why he had left in the first place. One day as he was walking near the beach, he thought he recognized the woman getting out of an auto. She saw him at the same time - with his 4-day old stubble and unwashed clothes, she took moments more to recognize him.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Who was that? Charu?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Yay, Charu is back! I always wanted to know more about Charu.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:23 pm

"Radhika!" - how are you? where are you?...the questions gushed forth. After a few years of grad school, Radhika had joined a non-profit in Maryland helping in the removal of mines in war-torn regions of the world. She was just visiting homeland. "And I wanted to walk on the beach...there were several possibilities why she thought of the beach nostalgia but she didn't dwell on it. Pavan brought her up to speed on his situation over chai at the seaside restaurant. She had not married, 'just like that', she said and Pavan didn't probe.

She invited him to join her for a dance performance by another friend of hers that Sunday. Pavan was only too glad to find a kindred spirit and accepted immediately. They talked for a couple of more hours about life in the US, his drinking issues and the open-ended future he was staring at.

Next sunday, Pavan cleaned up his act and there was a sprint in his step. His clean-shaven face with a hint of european cologne and Hugo Boss jacket seemed slightly incogruous for the streets of the city but he was in his element for Radhika. She wore a black with glistening bells chudidhar and had noninvasive make-up. It was a jasmine flowers and divine spiritual sort of affair and put them in a calisthenic mood for the evening. By the time the evening ended, Radhika said, I'm thirsty - take me to the leather bar and off they went.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:38 pm

She was headed back to Maryland in a couple of weeks - so they made most of their time together. His moods took a turn for the better - he looked forward to the mornings and woke up quickly out of the bed. He accompanied Radhika to every theater event they could find and even some shopping trips. She told him how she had an epiphany and now believed deeply in numerology. They went to see a famous numerologist in the city and Pavan asked for predictions about his future.

The numerologist traced most of Pavan's troubles to his name and suggested that he change it. The next day he received a re-directed courier from a few credit card companies in US subpoenaing him for debts accumulated during his hard-drinking days. He should have said "On me" a bit less, he realized. He was scraping the bottom of the barrel. He filed for bankruptcy in US using a shady lawyer that he once knew.

He decided to change his name. Radhika suggested a new name for him - Roger Ronjen. He filed the papers and got himself a new passport. He flew to Maryland wishing to open a new life for himself.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Roger Ronjen? lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:14 pm

lol @ maryland

good going. i like these fast moving stories like these :bd

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:32 pm

atcg wrote:8

She was headed back to Maryland in a couple of weeks - so they made most of their time together. His moods took a turn for the better - he looked forward to the mornings and woke up quickly out of the bed. He accompanied Radhika to every theater event they could find and even some shopping trips. She told him how she had an epiphany and now believed deeply in numerology. They went to see a famous numerologist in the city and Pavan asked for predictions about his future.

The numerologist traced most of Pavan's troubles to his name and suggested that he change it. The next day he received a re-directed courier from a few credit card companies in US subpoenaing him for debts accumulated during his hard-drinking days. He should have said "On me" a bit less, he realized. He was scraping the bottom of the barrel. He filed for bankruptcy in US using a shady lawyer that he once knew.

He decided to change his name. Radhika suggested a new name for him - Roger Ronjen. He filed the papers and got himself a new passport. He flew to Maryland wishing to open a new life for himself.

Curious how his new life opens up.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Pavan ban gaya Roger Ronjen. Why Ronjen?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 pm

panini press wrote:Pavan ban gaya Roger Ronjen. Why Ronjen?

Ronjen=americanized version for Ranjan

Ronjen reminds me of Jenwren, an oldtimer.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:47 pm

panini press wrote:Pavan ban gaya Roger Ronjen. Why Ronjen?

** paapum, badha padaku, migatha valliki dhari ivvu. i'm just thrilled my name rhymes with her name. given how nerdy atcg is, i thought it was a corruption of "roentgen." and anything can happen when a man goes to maryland: trouble with congressmen in d.c., maybe he and radhika will go to all the gaming arcades there, hiking in virginia, a trip to arlington memorial, who knows?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 pm

paapum, badha padaku, migatha valliki dhari ivvu
=
Poor man, <not understood>, lots of pain(?) for him now?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:03 pm

atcg wrote:paapum, badha padaku, migatha valliki dhari ivvu
=
Poor man, , lots of pain(?) for him now?

Paapam-I'm sorry
badha-feel bad
padaku- don't
migatha-the rest
vallaki-others
dhari-way
ivvu-give

sorry, don't feel bad. Give way to others. (i think she was talking abt PP giving the privilege of having the name of the hero same as theirs to others)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down