Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why would anyone not wish to be conversant with the world's second most spoken language?

+5
Idéfix
Propagandhi711
Kayalvizhi
Nila
Hellsangel
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why would anyone not wish to be conversant with the world's second most spoken language? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why would anyone not wish to be conversant with the world's second most spoken language?

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in the last year or so, i've seen a distinct change in how non-tamilian southern indians react to hindi pushing on this board. it's a good bet therefore that out there in the real world too, people have had enough of that nonsense.
To be fair, most of the credit for that goes to one poster. I don't think the Hindi-pushing in the "real world" of southern India is that aggressive, or for that matter, that pigheaded.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Why would anyone not wish to be conversant with the world's second most spoken language? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why would anyone not wish to be conversant with the world's second most spoken language?

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm

kinnera wrote:probably is a mongrel, but was as sanskritized as other indian languages, afaik. Looks like the sanskritized hindi made way to highly urdufied hindi, thanks to the bollywood dialogue writers.
The Sanskritization of the "standard" register of Hindi is a relatively recent phenomenon owing much to Akashvani and Doordarshan. In their original forms, the vernacular languages of the Gangetic plain had a strong Urdu influence for a very long time indeed. Premchand's language doesn't sound much like the taat-shrees and kintu-parantus of BR Chopra's Mahabharat. It is after Partition that the two "standard" registers, Hindi and Urdu, got aggressively Sanskritized and Arabo-Persianized respectively, for mostly political reasons.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:32 pm

haha @ kintu-parantu. taat-shree = grandfather? you are right. i've never heard hindi spoken like that outside of the mahabharat tv show.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Max,

Here is some news for you. Madurai City Corporation Commissioner ordered that Hindi street name signs be installed in the major streets. I saw this in Facebook, it referred to Dinamani-January 21, 2013.

Send an e-mail to Chieh minister that it is against the state 2-language formula and ask her to order the city commissioner to stop the nonsense. Madurai is still part of TN.

Rishi, write to your favorite politician on this.

I think the city commissioners name is Sadagopan. What state he from?

Chief Minister's email: mlasrirangam@tn.gov.in

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Max,

Here is some news for you. Madurai City Corporation Commissioner ordered that Hindi street name signs be installed in the major streets. I saw this in Facebook, it referred to Dinamani-January 21, 2013.

Send an e-mail to Chieh minister that it is against the state 2-language formula and ask her to order the city commissioner to stop the nonsense. Madurai is still part of TN.

Rishi, write to your favorite politician on this.

I think the city commissioners name is Sadagopan. What state he from?

Chief Minister's email: mlasrirangam@tn.gov.in

i tend not to believe you immediately. some links to a news story would be helpful.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 pm

i told u where i found.

tell me if i ever lie on this forum

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:i told u where i found.

i don't think you deliberately lie, but i think your standards of proof to pass on hearsay news stories that fit your agenda are fairly minimal. in other words if you hear something that might help you in furthering your agenda, you share it with us without actually bothering to verify if it's actually true.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:i told u where i found.

i don't think you deliberately lie, but i think your standards of proof to pass on hearsay news stories that fit your agenda are fairly minimal. in other words if you hear something that might help you in furthering your agenda, you share it with us without actually bothering to verify if it's actually true.

In other words....KV lies.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:21 pm

panini press wrote:
kinnera wrote:probably is a mongrel, but was as sanskritized as other indian languages, afaik. Looks like the sanskritized hindi made way to highly urdufied hindi, thanks to the bollywood dialogue writers.
The Sanskritization of the "standard" register of Hindi is a relatively recent phenomenon owing much to Akashvani and Doordarshan. In their original forms, the vernacular languages of the Gangetic plain had a strong Urdu influence for a very long time indeed. Premchand's language doesn't sound much like the taat-shrees and kintu-parantus of BR Chopra's Mahabharat. It is after Partition that the two "standard" registers, Hindi and Urdu, got aggressively Sanskritized and Arabo-Persianized respectively, for mostly political reasons.

But in Hindi movies the urduized Hindi (and not sanskritised Hindi) continues to be used.
This urduized Hindi is also called Hindustani and it is the language (or one of the languages) of the common man in cities in India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:corrupted? i had always thought of hindi as a mongrel language right at birth.

Sri Lankan Tamils inform me that their tamil is the pure tamil. They say the tamil spoken in TN is a corrupted variant of the pure tamil.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:corrupted? i had always thought of hindi as a mongrel language right at birth.

Sri Lankan Tamils inform me that their tamil is the pure tamil. They say the tamil spoken in TN is a corrupted variant of the pure tamil.

that may or may not be true, but why is this a response to my comment?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

What ? You expect Rashmun to argue using logic ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I wanted to know your opinion on this. I recall you mentioning that words of Sanskrit origin should be eschewed in literary tamil (contrary to the approach taken by Subramanya Bharati).

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I wanted to know your opinion on this. I recall you mentioning that words of Sanskrit origin should be eschewed in literary tamil (contrary to the approach taken by Subramanya Bharati).

i have a hard time understanding SL tamil sometimes. it almost sounds like malayalam to me. and apparently that mistake is quite a common one. SL tamil is less influenced by sanskrit i think.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2