Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Tamil Christians who go church in Saidapet pray for

+9
Kayalvizhi
MaxEntropy_Man
Jeremiah Mburuburu
rawemotions
Kris
Hellsangel
bw
Maria S
Rishi
13 posters

Go down

What Tamil Christians who go church in Saidapet pray for Empty What Tamil Christians who go church in Saidapet pray for

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:11 pm

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?284080

I went to a popular church in Saidapet (Chennai ) out of curiosity few years back and the entire hall (around 500 fanatics) stood up and started praying "Oh lord please let the big evil Hanuman statue in Delhi crumble down under the Metro trains"!!!!

Rishi

Back to top Go down

What Tamil Christians who go church in Saidapet pray for Empty Re: What Tamil Christians who go church in Saidapet pray for

Post by Maria S Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:59 pm

I am getting a little tired and weary of this pattern of timepass- it's quite unpleasant to see picking on the doctrine of Christianity (which really is the worst to me)..then Christians..and then the Catholics and their Church..and finally Tamil Christians..knowing very well..that there is no other practicing Christian- Tamil Christians in this forum but me.

I think it is in poor taste when it is relentless..I have to 1) either ignore it and interact as if..it does not matter to me or 2) have to defend what I think is blatantly slanted- prejudiced.
Both are not good options for me.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

What Tamil Christians who go church in Saidapet pray for Empty Re: What Tamil Christians who go church in Saidapet pray for

Post by bw Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Maria S wrote:I am getting a little tired and weary of this pattern of timepass- it's quite unpleasant to see picking on the doctrine of Christianity (which really is the worst to me)..then Christians..and then the Catholics and their Church..and finally Tamil Christians..knowing very well..that there is no other practicing Christian- Tamil Christians in this forum but me.

I think it is in poor taste when it is relentless..I have to 1) either ignore it and interact as if..it does not matter to me or 2) have to defend what I think is blatantly slanted- prejudiced.

i think you are giving yourself too much importance.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Maria S wrote:I am getting a little tired and weary of this pattern of timepass- it's quite unpleasant to see picking on the doctrine of Christianity (which really is the worst to me)..then Christians..and then the Catholics and their Church..and finally Tamil Christians..knowing very well..that there is no other practicing Christian- Tamil Christians in this forum but me.

Did you check the link? It is actually this christian guy blasting hindus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Maria,

I also post articles criticizing Gurus, people polluting the rivers in the name of religion and many other aspects of the practices of Hinduism.

Why get so defensive?

I think if the Christians at the Saidapet church pray for the destruction of the Hanuman statue then it is really an act of bigotry.

Is it not?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Rishi wrote:Maria,

I also post articles criticizing Gurus, people polluting the rivers in the name of religion and many other aspects of the practices of Hinduism.

Why get so defensive?

I think if the Christians at the Saidapet church pray for the destruction of the Hanuman statue then it is really an act of bigotry.
Is it not?

Ok Sara..I expressed what I honestly felt about "being relentless/a pattern"..you can call it defensive and "dismiss it", turn it around and make it seem like something else.

You won't hear from me- on anything related to Christianity or Christians anymore.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:28 am

Maria S wrote:
You won't hear from me- on anything related to Christianity or Christians anymore.

Do you promise?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:00 am

Rishi wrote:http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?284080

I went to a popular church in Saidapet (Chennai ) out of curiosity few years back and the entire hall (around 500 fanatics) stood up and started praying "Oh lord please let the big evil Hanuman statue in Delhi crumble down under the Metro trains"!!!!
>>>Is the implication this is a commonplace event? If it is, it is a falsehood. If its not, this is mischief-mongering.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:07 am

Kris wrote:

>>>Is the implication this is a commonplace event? If it is, it is a falsehood. If its not, this is mischief-mongering.

Even if it is not a typical, regularly occurring event, it does raise some concerns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:32 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:

Even if it is not a typical, regularly occurring event, it does raise some concerns.

>>>>I think this is an aberration based on my interactions with this community, on a fairly extensive basis. There are probably a few idiots who do this sort of thing, as there are in other religions, but this seems like going the extra mile to create conflict.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:39 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>>I think this is an aberration based on my interactions with this community, on a fairly extensive basis. There are probably a few idiots who do this sort of thing, as there are in other religions, but this seems like going the extra mile to create conflict.

I am sure these are aberrations but even aberrations of this sort raise some concerns. Meanwhile:

http://www.topix.com/forum/in/chennai/THQ19K0IOENBOGQMJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:40 am

Kris wrote:

I vehemently disagree, when you say that all religions indulge in it. I do not recollect any of the Hindu/Jain/Sikh temples being used by the priests, to issue such statements to the congregation.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 am

rawemotions wrote:
Kris wrote:

I vehemently disagree, when you say that all religions indulge in it. I do not recollect any of the Hindu/Jain/Sikh temples being used by the priests, to issue such statements to the congregation.
>>> I am not talking about whether a priest in a temple speficifically gave similar instructions. That is a very narrow interpretation of what I am alluidng to. I am however describing scenarios where at least some Hindus have borne ill-will toward other religions. If your point is this is not a frequent occurrence, neither is the case of Tamil Christians wishing ill for Hindus.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:46 am

Well, you should have been clear when you made your original statement. I did not make any references to occurrences.

But I can quote instances of manuals being printed tarnishing Hinduism and distributed to encourage conversions. Google "Satyadarshini". India is probably the only country in the world, where minorities keep quiet, when some of their brethen, denigrate majority religion, so openly, all because Congress party added an amendment to the constitution to explicitly include the word Preach.
They can preach by talking good things about their religion, but should they have to talk ill of other religions ? If you question faith where does it end ? Then you can question any faith ? It is a very dangerous trend and a recipe for avoidable conflicts.
I really do not know why the normal Christian folks keep quiet and allow the extremists among their clergy to do all these. Would the same thing happen in Pakistan or Egypt ? Everybody should contribute to communal harmony, not just Majority community alone. But alas, that is not the view point of UPA , Sonia sponsored anti-constitutional policy making body called NAC.

When "Satyadarshini" happened, the chief clergy in Delhi did not explicitly ask for the offending priests arrest or prosecution. Infact he sounded like an apologist for him. That guy disappeared into Kerala and as far as I remember has never never been caught. The behaviour of monotheistic minorities in India, reminds me of a statement by Edmund burke
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:22 am

rawemotions wrote:Well, you should have been clear when you made your original statement. I did not make any references to occurrences.

But I can quote instances of manuals being printed tarnishing Hinduism and distributed to encourage conversions. Google "Satyadarshini". India is probably the only country in the world, where minorities keep quiet, when some of their brethen, denigrate majority religion, so openly, all because Congress party added an amendment to the constitution to explicitly include the word Preach.
They can preach by talking good things about their religion, but should they have to talk ill of other religions ? If you question faith where does it end ? Then you can question any faith ? It is a very dangerous trend and a recipe for avoidable conflicts.
I really do not know why the normal Christian folks keep quiet and allow the extremists among their clergy to do all these. Would the same thing happen in Pakistan or Egypt ? Everybody should contribute to communal harmony, not just Majority community alone. But alas, that is not the view point of UPA , Sonia sponsored anti-constitutional policy making body called NAC.

When "Satyadarshini" happened, the chief clergy in Delhi did not explicitly ask for the offending priests arrest or prosecution. Infact he sounded like an apologist for him. That guy disappeared into Kerala and as far as I remember has never never been caught. The behaviour of monotheistic minorities in India, reminds me of a statement by Edmund burke
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Did you see my post "massacre at Madurai" ? What are your comments about Hindus celebrating the killing of Jain monks to this day?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:

assuming that the incident described actually occurred, it is an extremely uncivil and hostile thing to do. as a person who was born into a christian family, i condemn the prayers of these christians, which express nothing but ill will towards hindus. even if such incidents are not frequent, there is no place for such hostility in civil society.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:

assuming that the incident described actually occurred, it is an extremely uncivil and hostile thing to do. as a person who was born into a christian family, i condemn the prayers of these christians, which express nothing but ill will towards hindus. even if such incidents are not frequent, there is no place for such hostility in civil society.

rashmun indulges in muckraking against tamilians of all faiths. i'd be more circumspect about taking his posts seriously and issuing condemnations, even if they are conditional.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:40 pm

the original post in this thread is by Rishi and not me and yet Max is attributing it to me mendaciously. Max please apologize for your mistake immediately.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 am

Since it concerns Tamil people, I looked into this thread. Usually I ignore these religious fanatic threads.

The link you gave does not have the quote you published at the very first post. ??

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Since it concerns Tamil people, I looked into this thread. Usually I ignore these religious fanatic threads.

The link you gave does not have the quote you published at the very first post. ??

It does. Check the comments section.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:Since it concerns Tamil people, I looked into this thread. Usually I ignore these religious fanatic threads.

It does. Check the comments section.

i don't see it. anyone else see that?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm

OK. Rishi told me. I missed it because you first go to the link Rishi posted here, and then click another link to see that excerpt.

THere is absolutely no evidence that Saidapet Christians are prayinbg for the Hanuman statue. It is not news from the Outlook magazine editors or contributors. It is a comment by somebody. Yoy can post whaever you want. No fact checking. I bet that it is false flame posted by a fanatic. Nothing more. Anybody can postr Anything. Rishi. Do this. Go to that site and post some outrageous nonsense. People will read it and some will believe it.

This commenter (Prasanth) may be a Hindian who wants to divide Tamils by religion.

TN was an island of religiouis tolerance. When there was bloodbath in north in 1947, no violence in south. Religious intolerance came to TN only after Hindian outfits like RSS, BJP came to TN and also set up and funded some reliiosly fanatic groups. Similarly Muslim fanatics also came into TN. These two outsider sponsored groups are trying to divide Tamils by religion. Dont fall for that.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:OK. Rishi told me. I missed it because you first go to the link Rishi posted here, and then click another link to see that excerpt.

THere is absolutely no evidence that Saidapet Christians are prayinbg for the Hanuman statue. It is not news from the Outlook magazine editors or contributors. It is a comment by somebody. Yoy can post whaever you want. No fact checking. I bet that it is false flame posted by a fanatic. Nothing more. Anybody can postr Anything. Rishi. Do this. Go to that site and post some outrageous nonsense. People will read it and some will believe it.

This commenter (Prasanth) may be a Hindian who wants to divide Tamils by religion.

TN was an island of religiouis tolerance. When there was bloodbath in north in 1947, no violence in south. Religious intolerance came to TN only after Hindian outfits like RSS, BJP came to TN and also set up and funded some reliiosly fanatic groups. Similarly Muslim fanatics also came into TN. These two outsider sponsored groups are trying to divide Tamils by religion. Dont fall for that.

eh? how/what do you label EVR naaikar's cult and their clans exuberance in thamizh nAdu

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

This whole thread is pure bullshit.

Sara Boji is getting a kick out of posting outrageous crap like this with no proof that this kind of Hanuman bashing goes on in churches in Tamil Nadu any more than his claim that muslims throw things at Vinayaka Chaturti parades year after year in Triplicane.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm

May not be in Triplicane, but seems to happen on other places.
http://newstodaynet.com/col.php?section=20&catid=33&id=19152

But I think the question to answer really is, if let us say, Chennai had a 60% Muslim Majority, what would happen ? That is the question.

It is answered by a comment made in Malaysia, reproduced below.

The local State Government of there had given permission to the Hindus for the construction of a temple. Fundamentalist Muslims led by one Mohd. Bin Ramili and others have launched an agitation issuing an open threat to the Government. They are saying:’”We Muslims are 90% in this State. Hindus account for only less than 10%. With a Hindu temple in our residential neighbourhood, we cannot function properly as Muslims. The temple will disrupt our daily activities like prayers in the ‘Surau’. We cannot concentrate with the sounds coming from the Hindu temple.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:04 pm

rawemotions wrote:May not be in Triplicane, but seems to happen on other places.

But I think the question to answer really is, if let us say, Chennai had a 60% Muslim Majority, what would happen ? That is the question.

The local State Government of there had given permission to the Hindus for the construction of a temple. Fundamentalist Muslims led by one Mohd. Bin Ramili and others have launched an agitation issuing an open threat to the Government. They are saying:’”We Muslims are 90% in this State. Hindus account for only less than 10%. With a Hindu temple in our residential neighbourhood, we cannot function properly as Muslims. The temple will disrupt our daily activities like prayers in the ‘Surau’. We cannot concentrate with the sounds coming from the Hindu temple.

Yes, this writer is citing one incident in Ooty that took place in 2009. This is by no means a statewide occurrence in Tamil Nadu, nor is this an annual occurrence.

Islam is the religion of the Federation of Malaysia, protected by its constitution. India is secular. Let us not compare apples and oranges.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:13 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
rawemotions wrote:May not be in Triplicane, but seems to happen on other places.

Yes, this writer is citing one incident in Ooty that took place in 2009. This is by no means a statewide occurrence in Tamil Nadu, nor is this an annual occurrence.

Islam is the religion of the Federation of Malaysia, protected by its constitution. India is secular. Let us not compare apples and oranges.

I think you did not read the article properly. The author says
There were savage attacks on Vinayaka Chathurthi processions at Ooty, Kalpakkam, Tirupur, Palani, Muthupet, Marthal, Thiruvidamcode and many other places.

His precise reason for writing this article is reproduced below

Organised attacks on Vinayaka Chaturthi processions in different parts of Tamilnadu have become an expected ugly annual feature.

goodcitizn wrote:Islam is the religion of the Federation of Malaysia, protected by its constitution. India is secular. Let us not compare apples and oranges.

a) Secularism in Indian polity is not being followed in a way that makes it sustainable. It is in danger of withering in Muslim Majority parts of India.
b) The problem is majority of the Muslims remain silent, when Political Islamists commit crimes against Humanity/Cultural intolerance/Islamic Supremacism, and they are not able to counter them ideologically (link to Hadith/Quran etc..) even if they do not like what is being done, because these marauders also quote Quran for their actions.

Now, regarding your point. I have reproduced Malaysian laws from Wikipedia. Islam is state religion, but it guarantees freedom of religion to Non-Malays. Very similar to Bangladesh. So are you saying that freedom of religion means they can object to presence of temple. How is a presence of temple threat to Islam ? The whole point is the behaviour when they are in a majority.

If you are here to argue with me that (Political) Islam is secular in nature or the way it is practiced, then I think you are on a sticky wicket! The facts globally speaks otherwise. This is now happening in Bangladesh (its secularism is similar to Malaysia). http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/15783.html. Yesterday there has been a POGROM against Hindus in Bangladesh after the verdict against one of the JeI leaders. The verdict was basically for their first POGROMS, and instead of introspection, they are starting a second POGROM.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 pm

rawemotions wrote:The problem is majority of the Muslims remain silent, when Political Islamists commit crimes against Humanity/Cultural intolerance/Islamic Supremacism, and they are not able to counter them ideologically (link to Hadith/Quran etc..) even if they do not like what is being done, because these marauders also quote Quran for their actions.
That is certainly a problem in my view.

Now, is it a problem in your view when Hindus seek to justify or divert attention from the atrocities committed by Hindu mobs led by Hindutva-waadis?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:43 pm

rawemotions wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

I think you did not read the article properly. The author says
There were savage attacks on Vinayaka Chathurthi processions at Ooty, Kalpakkam, Tirupur, Palani, Muthupet, Marthal, Thiruvidamcode and many other places.

His precise reason for writing this article is reproduced below

Organised attacks on Vinayaka Chaturthi processions in different parts of Tamilnadu have become an expected ugly annual feature.

goodcitizn wrote:Islam is the religion of the Federation of Malaysia, protected by its constitution. India is secular. Let us not compare apples and oranges.

a) Secularism in Indian polity is not being followed in a way that makes it sustainable. It is in danger of withering in Muslim Majority parts of India.
b) The problem is majority of the Muslims remain silent, when Political Islamists commit crimes against Humanity/Cultural intolerance/Islamic Supremacism, and they are not able to counter them ideologically (link to Hadith/Quran etc..) even if they do not like what is being done, because these marauders also quote Quran for their actions.

Now, regarding your point. I have reproduced Malaysian laws from Wikipedia. Islam is state religion, but it guarantees freedom of religion to Non-Malays. Very similar to Bangladesh. So are you saying that freedom of religion means they can object to presence of temple. How is a presence of temple threat to Islam ? The whole point is the behaviour when they are in a majority.

If you are here to argue with me that (Political) Islam is secular in nature or the way it is practiced, then I think you are on a sticky wicket! The facts globally speaks otherwise. This is now happening in Bangladesh (its secularism is similar to Malaysia). http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/15783.html. Yesterday there has been a POGROM against Hindus in Bangladesh after the verdict against one of the JeI leaders. The verdict was basically for their first POGROMS, and instead of introspection, they are starting a second POGROM.

There are religious bigots everywhere. Dedicating a thread to single out Tamil christians as being anti-Hanuman based on some idiot's comment on what he saw in a church in Saidapet (whether it really happened or not) is bigotry.

Islam is an anti-thesis to secularism so let us not even go there. What goes on in Malaysia or Saudi Arabia is not of any concern to me. This writer is using examples of isolated incidents (true or otherwise) to incite anti-Muslim reactions from Hindus in South India. You can find hundreds, if not thousands, of blogs or articles of a similar nature rooted in bigotry. I, for one, am thankful that India is secular. And posts aimed at causing divisions among people based on their religioun bother me greatly. Its 2:15 am in Bangalore, so good night.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:33 pm

I suggest that we build Varaha (near mosques), naga (near DKHeadQ), and Narasimha (near Churches) temples at vantage points....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down