Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leader of the most corrupt organization is elected

+2
Rishi
Obnoxious
6 posters

Go down

Leader of the most corrupt organization is elected Empty Leader of the most corrupt organization is elected

Post by Obnoxious Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Now the world awaits to see who he is. Razz.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Leader of the most corrupt organization is elected Empty Re: Leader of the most corrupt organization is elected

Post by Rishi Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Argentinian. Still a white man!

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Leader of the most corrupt organization is elected Empty Re: Leader of the most corrupt organization is elected

Post by indophile Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Is the first Pope from outside Europe?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

The "fire" behind the smoke is more important!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:09 pm

indophile wrote:Is the first Pope from outside Europe?
I would have expected some of the early popes to be from Asia and / or Egypt.

Edit: The very first one, Peter, was a Palestinian Jew.

Last edited by trofimov on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:12 pm

trofimov wrote:

He is the 1st Pope in a 1000 years from outside Europe. The Pope used to sit not in Rome but in Constantinople at one time.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
trofimov wrote:

He is the 1st Pope in a 1000 years from outside Europe. The Pope used to sit not in Rome but in Constantinople at one time.
I thought that was Avignon, not Constantinople. As far as I recall, they had five patriarchs in early Christianity, with those of Rome and Constantinople claiming primacy over each other. (The others were Alexandria, Antioch and one more I can't recall). They finally parted ways about 1,500 years ago and the office of the Patriarch of Rome became the papacy.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Just saw this... the last pope born in Africa held office until 496 CE. The last pope born in Asia was a Syrian who was in office until 741 CE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:26 pm

trofimov wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
trofimov wrote:

I thought that was Avignon, not Constantinople. As far as I recall, they had five patriarchs in early Christianity, with those of Rome and Constantinople claiming primacy over each other. (The others were Alexandria, Antioch and one more I can't recall). They finally parted ways about 1,500 years ago and the office of the Patriarch of Rome became the papacy.
The one I couldn't recall was Jerusalem. Duh!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:27 pm

I notice that atheistic SU-CH scholars are really interested in who the Pope is!

Obviously, the jihad of atheistic mujahideen has already started!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:33 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:I notice that atheistic SU-CH scholars are really interested in who the Pope is!

Obviously, the jihad of atheistic mujahideen has already started!
Guruvu-gaaru, it is high time you joined forces with the "gown wallahs" as you call them to defend yourself from the atheistic mujahideen. We don't want that monkey-in-the-closet to convert you to atheism while you are asleep.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Even with all kinds of disenchantment (women, birth control, abortion, etc.), and grumblings, the structure of catholic church remains intact, and the respect for Pope has been undiminished through all these centuries. Compare that to the Caliphs of muslims; they are gone for good and the fundamentalism has increased, if anything.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Even with all kinds of disenchantment (women, birth control, abortion, etc.), and grumblings, the structure of catholic church remains intact, and the respect for Pope has been undiminished through all these centuries. Compare that to the Caliphs of muslims; they are gone for good and the fundamentalism has increased, if anything.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:44 pm

indophile wrote:Even with all kinds of disenchantment (women, birth control, abortion, etc.), and grumblings, the structure of catholic church remains intact, and the respect for Pope has been undiminished through all these centuries. Compare that to the Caliphs of muslims; they are gone for good and the fundamentalism has increased, if anything.
I think the papacy is a declining institution. They are not helping their longevity with the way they deal with contraception, child abuse, women's rights, gay rights, etc. I see respect for the Pope eroding because of these issues.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 pm

May be that could happen in the future if the leadership will not adopt. But the history shows that they did adopt to changes taking place around them (the Earth moves around the Sun - type adoptations, not sure about the theory of evolution however).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down