Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roku channels

+4
FluteHolder
Maria S
Impedimenta
Idéfix
8 posters

Go down

Roku channels Empty Roku channels

Post by Idéfix Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:18 pm

I bought a Roku 3 a few days and I love it so far. It has many more streaming options than the Netflix, Cinemanow and Pandora that my Bluray player came with. And the interface is much better as well. Does anyone else here use Roku? Do you have any good channel recommendations? I looked for Indian content, but the only stuff I found was Malayalam TV channels.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Roku channels Empty Re: Roku channels

Post by Impedimenta Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:21 pm

hey hey hey....buddy, i asked my surface query first and it is being royally ignored. now, you come up with you roku player question. i might actually have an input for this but i still want my surface query acknowledged first.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Me too..I have Roku 3 and enjoy the Tamil channels package too.

I don't know about other language channels..I have ChannelLive- Tamil Plus Plus..like it and am satisfied:) They do have Telugu packages.

http://channellive.tv/packages/default.aspx

*There may be others..kindly consult other experts like U, before subscribing:)

Last edited by Maria S on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:28 pm

trofimov wrote:I bought a Roku 3 a few days and I love it so far. It has many more streaming options than the Netflix, Cinemanow and Pandora that my Bluray player came with. And the interface is much better as well. Does anyone else here use Roku? Do you have any good channel recommendations? I looked for Indian content, but the only stuff I found was Malayalam TV channels.

I was about to ask about Roku:) As I am looking to disconnect cable as the main TV is takenover by kids to play wii and cartoon channel.

I was looking for youtube browsing thru this and it doesnot have. So was looking at a Blueray DVD player cum streaming device from Sony at samsclub. Need to explore more on this. If I can get a streaming with youtube accessible/browser capable that will be best.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:31 pm

FluteHolder wrote:
trofimov wrote:I bought a Roku 3 a few days and I love it so far. It has many more streaming options than the Netflix, Cinemanow and Pandora that my Bluray player came with. And the interface is much better as well. Does anyone else here use Roku? Do you have any good channel recommendations? I looked for Indian content, but the only stuff I found was Malayalam TV channels.

I was about to ask about Roku:) As I am looking to disconnect cable as the main TV is takenover by kids to play wii and cartoon channel.

I was looking for youtube browsing thru this and it doesnot have. So was looking at a Blueray DVD player cum streaming device from Sony at samsclub. Need to explore more on this. If I can get a streaming with youtube accessible/browser capable that will be best.

There is a free channel on Roku called VideoBuzz. I watch YouTube videos on Roku through that channel. The interface is quite similar to the YouTube interface on my Bluray player. There is also a free channel called Plex, which can play videos from your computer as well as YouTube videos, but it is slower than VideoBuzz for YouTube videos.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Maria S wrote:Me too..I have Roku 3 and enjoy the Tamil channels package too.

I don't know about other language channels..I have ChannelLive- Tamil Plus Plus..like it and am satisfied:) They do have Telugu packages.

Thanks Maria. I see that the Telugu channels are available. Will subscribe when the parents are here. I was looking for Indian news channels in English (NDTV, CNN-IBN, Times Now, etc.) I like BBC World News which I can watch on Roku. Also need to find Al Jazeera English.

Edit: Al Jazeera English is a private channel with code ALJZ.

Last edited by trofimov on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Impedimenta wrote:hey hey hey....buddy, i asked my surface query first and it is being royally ignored. now, you come up with you roku player question. i might actually have an input for this but i still want my surface query acknowledged first.
Don't be like that... now that I have answered your question, please provide your input.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm

trofimov wrote:

Thanks Maria. I see that the Telugu channels are available. Will subscribe when the parents are here. I was looking for Indian news channels in English (NDTV, CNN-IBN, Times Now, etc.) I like BBC World News which I can watch on Roku. Also need to find Al Jazeera English.

So you are saying it's for old people like me and your parents:)

I am kidding! I don't mind being lumped with older people..even grandparents is totally fine!

Seriously..at first, I was paying $21/month..now it's slowly going up..I watch it on a regular basis, so it's worth it for me..otherwise, it's not necessary to spend so much.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:49 pm

PP,

Is your roku is a wireless or wired one for Ethernet access/jack? I am looking for ethernet so that I can get good streaming instead of wifi. Newer roku doesnot have ethernet jack. So have to decide on sonybluray or roku older model.
Why one would go for roku if the bluray player is steaming already? Is it bcz roku's streaming is better?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 pm

PS3 works great.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 pm

FluteHolder wrote:PP,

Is your roku is a wireless or wired one for Ethernet access/jack? I am looking for ethernet so that I can get good streaming instead of wifi. Newer roku doesnot have ethernet jack. So have to decide on sonybluray or roku older model.
Why one would go for roku if the bluray player is steaming already? Is it bcz roku's streaming is better?
I got the latest Roku 3, and it does have an RJ-45 ethernet port. I don't like WiFi streaming, so have it connected to my router with an ethernet cable.

Yeah, I got bored of the Bluray player's limited streaming options. I bought it over three years ago, so wanted a change.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Maria S wrote:
trofimov wrote:

So you are saying it's for old people like me and your parents:)

I am kidding! I don't mind being lumped with older people..even grandparents is totally fine!

Seriously..at first, I was paying $21/month..now it's slowly going up..I watch it on a regular basis, so it's worth it for me..otherwise, it's not necessary to spend so much.
No, it's not age for sure. My sister likes the Telugu channels too... I just never liked them. Telugu TV channels are too anchored in movies, movie songs, movie stars and their lives, and soap operas. Not my cup of tea.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 am

I had ROKU streaming Telugu channels from YUPP-TV until recently. Then YUPP-TV discontinued streaming on Roku and sent me a Netgear NTV300 as a replacement (free of charge).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 am

indophile wrote:I had ROKU streaming Telugu channels from YUPP-TV until recently. Then YUPP-TV discontinued streaming on Roku and sent me a Netgear NTV300 as a replacement (free of charge).

man I really hate that behnchod netgear streaming device. it doesnt work with many of the wifi router settings and is extremely bad in terms of processing etc..you wont notice too many issues if you use wired ethernet but wifi etc is a pain. must have been designed & made by desis or chinese. roku was/still is an amazing device

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, the Netgear thingie looks and feels cheap and ulky (no sure feel, if you know what I mean). Well, what do you expect - cheap because it's free, ulky because it's made in China. Sometimes the buttons on the remote have a mind of their own and do the thing they want to do, not what you intend.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:59 pm

indophile wrote:Yes, the Netgear thingie looks and feels cheap and ulky (no sure feel, if you know what I mean). Well, what do you expect - cheap because it's free, ulky because it's made in China. Sometimes the buttons on the remote have a mind of their own and do the thing they want to do, not what you intend.

the interface itself is extremely slow. they're heavy on fancy graphics but light on performance. if you're running cat 5 in your house it might be ok but I try to operate on wifi which it does a terrible job of. roku never had any of the issues netgear does.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am

Here is something from "the" expert:

...List of free Channels on Roku

Provided to you w/o trying (have not had time... to set up or watch). I myself adding one by one.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Here is something from "the" expert:

...List of free Channels on Roku

Provided to you w/o trying (have not had time... to set up or watch). I myself adding one by one.

Better link...click, add, and explore. Check Aljazeera in PVT Channels.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down