Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

+12
Nila
Impedimenta
Seva Lamberdar
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Propagandhi711
Hellsangel
southindian
ashaNirasha
Idéfix
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
garam_kuta
Petrichor
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

When was the last time you did something for the first time? Empty When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 am

.... And what was it?

Saw the first half of the question posted by a friend on FB, and got thinking. Can't think of something that's big enough as the answer. I did a lot of crazy firsts back in October and November 2012. But those are not really good examples. So then I had to keep raking my memory and my answer is:

(Edited answer. I had completely forgotten this). OK so in November of 2012, I shot my first real gun in a shooting range. (guess this went to my suppressed memory coz soon after, the ct shootings had happened and I didn't feel so proud of my pics with the gun).

So. When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Back to top Go down

When was the last time you did something for the first time? Empty Re: When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Post by Petrichor Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:38 am

Does walking on crutches count? If so, 2 months ago.

Other than that, my life is dull: it is usual debates about appropriate inseam lengths, standardized tests, scholarships, and research into going from a 94 to 98 out of 100, psychological factors and motivation theory, assessments on basic building blocks of a good math foundation, disproving gender bias. I know, in Thamizh the word is called 'kOzhuppu'!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

When was the last time you did something for the first time? Empty Re: When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Does walking on crutches count? If so, 2 months ago.

Other than that, my life is dull: it is usual debates about appropriate inseam lengths, standardized tests, scholarships, and research into going from a 94 to 98 out of 100, psychological factors and motivation theory, assessments on basic building blocks of a good math foundation, disproving gender bias. I know, in Thamizh the word is called 'kOzhuppu'!

It sure counts. I first walked on crutches when I was almost 10 years old. Hopefully that was the last time too.

Rest of your stuff is, hmm you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 am

sakura time..tomorrow?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:54 am

garam_kuta wrote:

sakura time..tomorrow?

what does that mean?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:.... And what was it?

Saw the first half of the question posted by a friend on FB, and got thinking. Can't think of something that's big enough as the answer. I did a lot of crazy firsts back in October and November 2012. But those are not really good examples. So then I had to keep raking my memory and my answer is:

(Edited answer. I had completely forgotten this). OK so in November of 2012, I shot my first real gun in a shooting range. (guess this went to my suppressed memory coz soon after, the ct shootings had happened and I didn't feel so proud of my pics with the gun).

So. When was the last time you did something for the first time?

I was upgraded to first class on a recent flight 2 weeks ago. I have never ever received a free upgrade till then. Oh wait.... what did I do....hm...

Oh yeah... just last week bought a house in a non-Kansas state.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:just last week bought a house in a non-Kansas state.

for flipping? or living?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 am

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

sakura time..tomorrow?

what does that mean?

the cherry blossom fest tomorrow ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:06 am

garam_kuta wrote:

the cherry blossom fest tomorrow ?

oh well, the missing link was the word 'festival'. Anyways, I live a few hours from d.c. so not planning to partake in the festivities.

i have a 4-line bit role in a theater production - so weekends are rehearsal time.

and oh yes, another first...paid good money and joined a gym. had not realized the benefits of motivational visuals offered by strategially placed ellipticals right in front of the row of treadmills.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:21 am

This spring is the first time I have done gardening work. Weeding, preparing the ground, sowing, watching the sprouts come out, and transplanting are new tasks I have just learned. I did my first transplanting two days ago. The saplings still seem to be alive.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 am

i did something for the first time 2 weeks ago. considered dispassionately, what i did was abominable but i nurse no regrets. i slapped the missus. that too in front of her khandan (my mil, sil and my younger). i apologized the next day. it took her 3 days to forgive me after which i insisted that she slap me and she did. would i do it again? i do not know. i know she will read this. so what? love prevails in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i did something for the first time 2 weeks ago. considered dispassionately, what i did was abominable but i nurse no regrets. i slapped the missus. that too in front of her khandan (my mil, sil and my younger). i apologized the next day. it took her 3 days to forgive me after which i insisted that she slap me and she did. would i do it again? i do not know. i know she will read this. so what? love prevails in the end.

She should have slapped you silly with her chappal right then and there, not 3 days later. Then you wouldn't say "would I do it again? I don't know".

Love doesn't mean a thing if you don't respect and value her enough to not do that in front of her kid, and family.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i did something for the first time 2 weeks ago. considered dispassionately, what i did was abominable but i nurse no regrets. i slapped the missus. that too in front of her khandan (my mil, sil and my younger). i apologized the next day. it took her 3 days to forgive me after which i insisted that she slap me and she did. would i do it again? i do not know. i know she will read this. so what? love prevails in the end.

And you are another admin on this site?

Nice
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 pm

OTOH. It takes a lot of courage to confess that on this site, knowing the kind of admonishments you are bound to receive.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:09 pm

In real world some of them have to resign from their positions after confessions of abuse, or are thrown out.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:15 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

She should have slapped you silly with her chappal right then and there, not 3 days later. Then you wouldn't say "would I do it again? I don't know".

Love doesn't mean a thing if you don't respect and value her enough to not do that in front of her kid, and family.
this is exactly what i DO NOT understand. would it have been less demeaning had i done it in private (not that i ever have).

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 pm

once in a while its ok to show who's boss. as long as you bought her some flowers what you is fine. you must have had a good reason for doing what you did. next time I would use a small cane no thicker than her wrist if I were you.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Yaar. Her khandan would think you slap her annually or something.

So anyway. That's a first. Of slapping and getting slapped. Any positive ones?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm

The most disturbing thing about this is the "I don't know." What is to not know?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Idéfix wrote:This spring is the first time I have done gardening work. Weeding, preparing the ground, sowing, watching the sprouts come out, and transplanting are new tasks I have just learned. I did my first transplanting two days ago. The saplings still seem to be alive.

That's cool. So what does it feel like? A hobby or a chore?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:32 pm

So far I have enjoyed it. I did it only because the wife is keen on it. Not my idea of a hobby although I can see it being relaxing.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I was upgraded to first class on a recent flight 2 weeks ago. I have never ever received a free upgrade till then. Oh wait.... what did I do....hm...

Oh yeah... just last week bought a house in a non-Kansas state.

Upgrade to first class. That's a cool first I would like to have. I NEVER get upgraded. Maybe coz half the time I am traveling with kids. I have always travelled economy.

Purchased a second house. That's a big one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Idéfix wrote:So far I have enjoyed it. I did it only because the wife is keen on it. Not my idea of a hobby although I can see it being relaxing.

Back in India I would do a lot of gardening. Was a helper to our maali. Would also mow te grass with those manual lawn mowers. Here, not so much. Dunno why. I would plant random flowers but didn't plan it or keep it up. Maybe next season. This season I have too much on my plate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Idéfix wrote:This spring is the first time I have done gardening work. Weeding, preparing the ground, sowing, watching the sprouts come out, and transplanting are new tasks I have just learned. I did my first transplanting two days ago. The saplings still seem to be alive.

I am glad that at last trouble is blooming.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i slapped the missus. that too in front of her khandan (my mil, sil and my younger). i apologized the next day. it took her 3 days to forgive me after which i insisted that she slap me and she did. would i do it again? i do not know. i know she will read this. so what? love prevails in the end.
i had assumed that you routinely slap your slavish wife, because you are northindian, and because she is northindian. everything i hear about northindians at this forum is stereotypically northindian. shame on the many southern indians who emulate them.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:45 pm

I know why you made her slap back...now it is all even and you escaped 498A

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i slapped the missus. that too in front of her khandan (my mil, sil and my younger). i apologized the next day. it took her 3 days to forgive me after which i insisted that she slap me and she did. would i do it again? i do not know. i know she will read this. so what? love prevails in the end.
i had assumed that you routinely slap your slavish wife, because you are northindian, and because she is northindian. everything i hear about northindians at this forum is stereotypically northindian. shame on the many southern indians who emulate them.

V(irile1), what are your thoughts on d dating a m (muslim)? what are your thoughts on her prospects of converting to muzzslam and wearing that walking tent?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:47 pm

SI, what does admin have to do with any of this?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Idéfix wrote:SI, what does admin have to do with any of this?

he's holding all public officials to high moral standards. no swearing, no womanizing, no drugs, DUI, wife disciplining, hiring illegals...

so you better do your own gardening and not hire messicans

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:50 pm

The worst was when she asked me to pick out seeds of flowing plants. I have no clue what to plant and don't really care. So I picked one pack of seeds and that's the one that is doing the best right now.

Next new task: cut down a small tree. She wants to hire someone to do it, but I feel like taking a whack at it. Maybe tomorrow.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Idéfix wrote:The most disturbing thing about this is the "I don't know." What is to not know?
the combination of northindian and insanity is dangerous. what's equally disturbing is that you have not cancelled his membership, and worse, have supported him all along.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Idéfix wrote:The worst was when she asked me to pick out seeds of flowing plants. I have no clue what to plant and don't really care. So I picked one pack of seeds and that's the one that is doing the best right now.

Next new task: cut down a small tree. She wants to hire someone to do it, but I feel like taking a whack at it. Maybe tomorrow.

Cut the tree, hmm. How will you do that? You will rent tools for cutting the trees or buy them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm

JM, I am not in the business of canceling memberships. If that is what you seek, you shall not find it on this forum. You might want to look for that elsewhere. Also, kindly refer to our conversation yesterday about polls.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Oh I already bought a tool to trim a bamboo hedge and used it. I can use that to cut branches. We have a "tool library" in this town where I can borrow a crowbar. I don't know how deep the roots go, so if I can't get it all then I will admit defeat and call in the professionals.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Idéfix wrote:Oh I already bought a tool to trim a bamboo hedge and used it. I can use that to cut branches. We have a "tool library" in this town where I can borrow a crowbar. I don't know how deep the roots go, so if I can't get it all then I will admit defeat and call in the professionals.

Do not use a hedge trimmer to cut branches.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Why not? It is rated to cut up to 2.5 inches and most branches are thinner than that.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Idéfix wrote:Why not? It is rated to cut up to 2.5 inches and most branches are thinner than that.

You will end up ruining the trimmer. What you need is a good old chain-saw.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Ok will borrow a chain saw too then. Thanks.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Congratulations.

Btw, during transplanting, did you stick more than one sapling / seedling into the ground at the same place or just one?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Hellsangel wrote:OTOH. It takes a lot of courage to confess that on this site, knowing the kind of admonishments you are bound to receive.
thank you. i am sure i am not alone in having done this among those in this forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks. Just one when possible.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Idéfix wrote:Thanks. Just one when possible.

you seem to be using the latest technique in transplanting from Bihar?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:36 pm

[quote="Huzefa Kapasi"][quote="ashaNirasha"]
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
this is exactly what i DO NOT understand. would it have been less demeaning had i done it in private (not that i ever have).

No, it would not be, but again I'd be naive to think adults behave perfectly all the time, even in private.

Do yourself a favor, and read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Hitting-Behavior-Series-ebook/dp/B0034KZEOA/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes Sevaji, I already got a patent on it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:39 pm

psst...why is asha nirasha giving a "hitting" book reco to HK? affraid

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Impedimenta wrote:psst...why is asha nirasha giving a "hitting" book reco to HK? affraid

She is trying to play mommy.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Hellsangel wrote:OTOH. It takes a lot of courage to confess that on this site, knowing the kind of admonishments you are bound to receive.

That's BS. This is an anonymous online forum, at least, for most of us. After the kind of insults people have been dishing out to each other, you don't need 'a lot of courage to confess' and face mere admonishment. that's par for the course.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

That's BS. This is an anonymous online forum, at least, for most of us. After the kind of insults people have been dishing out to each other, you don't need 'a lot of courage to confess' and face mere admonishment. that's par for the course.

OK, if you say so.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:

V(irile1), what are your thoughts on d dating a m (muslim)? what are your thoughts on her prospects of converting to muzzslam and wearing that walking tent?
my thoughts are that what you've suggested is infinitely superior to:

1. a first-ever intercourse with a woman whose legs are covered with a tropical forest of thick, black, curly hair, followed by disgust and long whines about it in old sulekha's chat room, in the hope that they - the long whines - would elicit sympathy from the aunties of sulekha, who might then fall into bed with you. your consolation is that the tropical forest is growing on a kannadiga's legs, and believing that the "dark-and-ugly, sambar-slurping" telugu, as the northindians refer to you < kannadiga, even though kannadiga < bengali < mainstream northindian.

reminder: have you bought her a razor yet? how do i know that she's a kannadiga? you bragged about her being one! that you had risen above "the darks and the uglies" of guNTur!

2. being mo's (bittu singh's) First Worshipper and being gullible enough to believe that one can attract eighty-seven women into bed as he supposedly did, by calling them "bitches" at sulekha and yahoo; then exaggerating your own sexual experience to two whole women because "two is more credible than eighty-seven" (hahaha!);

3. experiencing massive erections and spontaneous ejaculations over random photographs seen on the internet, which you believe are d's, then spilling your seed on texas.

let me know if you are in the mood to reminisce more.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:11 pm

A year ago. My ds and me signed up for some tree adventure classes. I was hoping for a little rock climbing and that sort of easy thingy. On our first day we had to hop mega huge trees by swinging ropes, logs, trapezes, logs, ladders and such. I didn't know that once you are helmeted, belted and in - there is no way out. The ladder one was horrible. The last day was a breeze. The second day I had a stomach upset - really!!

I didn't know that I am scared of heights til then. Not doing it again.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next