Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 pm

This is the recipe that trace shared with me http://towardsabettertomorrow.blogspot.com/2006/03/besan-cheela-vegetarian-omelette.html

Well..it was a weekend mid morning. Was too hungry, but too lazy to cook elaborate stuff. Wanted to make something quick, easy, simple and healthy for brunch. Trace's recipe came to mind and I tried it. Came out great! i had cabbage and carrots at home, but was too lazy to chop and add those. So, i added only the frozen spinach. Apart from that, i added the reduced/fried onion, tomato pulp (you guys can add fresh ones), spring onions and cilantro. Next time i'm going to add cabbage and carrots too. Tip: make the batter a li'l light in consistency and try to make the dosas as thin as you can.

Batter:

[img]What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 8a4YA[/img]

Dosa on the tava:

[img]What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 HPM0E[/img]

Ready to be eaten dosa:

[img]What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 DVFbz[/img]

Thanks Tracy Smile

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Wow...thanks! i look forward to more pics! the dosa or cheela looks very tasty. reminded me of moong (mung?) pesarattu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:48 pm

I made chicken fry and goat liver fry yesterday. crazy good

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:51 am

goat liver fry? besh besh. got to try that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 am

i was in kokan over the long weekend where i devoured excellent homemade seafood. there was this house near the hotel i was staying in which had a board that advertised that they serve homemade food (most houses in that area do). i tried it on day 1 and ate all my meals there.

meal 1 - prawns curry, pomfret fry, pomfret curry, rice bhakri (as in bhakri made of rice), rice. chased down with sol kadhi.

meal 2 - kombdi wade (chicken and something that comes close to pooris; google for more info) and jackfruit subzi

meal 3 - prawns curry, crab curry, surmai curry, rice bhakri, rice and sol kadhi

meal 4 - surmai curry and rice, naraL wadi (coconut burfi, if you will)

not to mention litres of kokum, aamla and waaLa (don't know hindi/english name for it) sharbats i drank while driving.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 am

dang. i'm salivating just visualizing these goodies. where exactly did u go? how many hrs by road?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:23 am

we went to harnai and karde near dapoli. it is about 210 KMs from pune and it took us 6 hours to reach there including breaks. it took us 2.5 hours to hit NH17 because of the road condition from pune to NH17. if you drive down from mumbai, most of your drive will be on NH17 so it wouldn't take you as long, i think.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:32 am

had pepper chicken today. this one was for the older to help him crack his iitjee exam the day after. will work. recipe was as per vah re vah video. we made it a bit gravy-ish. wonderful gravy and good dish. the gravy was full of the taste of pepper, tomatoes and curry leaves. someone please tell the vah re vah guy that "onions" are pronounced anions and NOT AWE-NIONS.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 2012-015

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:53 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:had pepper chicken today. this one was for the older to help him crack his iitjee exam the day after. will work. recipe was as per vah re vah video. we made it a bit gravy-ish. wonderful gravy and good dish. the gravy was full of the taste of pepper, tomatoes and curry leaves. someone please tell the vah re vah guy that "onions" are pronounced anions and NOT AWE-NIONS.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 2012-015

Looks very good. Peppery dishes I've had in the past are usually much darker, probably from using less chilli powder / tomato and more of pepper and tamarind.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:14 am

[quote="Merlot Daruwala"]
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:someone please tell the vah re vah guy that "onions" are pronounced anions and NOT AWE-NIONS.
really? are you sure they gain electrons when fried?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:31 am

so ja JM nahi to gabbar aa jayega. good night! :-)

p.s. LOL vee!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:41 am

[quote="Jeremiah Mburuburu"]
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:someone please tell the vah re vah guy that "onions" are pronounced anions and NOT AWE-NIONS.
really? are you sure they gain electrons when fried?

LOL!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:44 pm

A new recipe that I tried today-Rajasthani Kadhi. The recipe is fine except for the dhania and fenugreek seeds in the tempering. Didn't like them. Will avoid them next time.

Recipe:
http://www.tarladalal.com/Rajasthani-Kadhi-3882r

[img]What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 CiiqZ[/img]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:38 pm

lovely! man i want this besan pakodi kadhi. i'm telling ganpath ram to make it tomorrow. i hope your pakodis came out soft. tarla dalal rocks! too bad you didn't enjoy the methi and dhania.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:lovely! man i want this besan pakodi kadhi. i'm telling ganpath ram to make it tomorrow. i hope your pakodis came out soft. tarla dalal rocks! too bad you didn't enjoy the methi and dhania.

Yeah, the pakodis came out fine, Huze. Enjoyed it Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 am

I love fenugreek seeds in kadhi. Dhania not so much. I also love methidana in daal sometimes (or I dunk a lot of powder in my own bowl).

You didn't do kadhi patta (neem leaves) seasoning? My cook back home would refuse to make kadhi without that. So in the new house, I had to go to the neighbor's house and bring back some. Our old house use to have a neem tree. Meetha neem. So many memories of it. It had 2-3 branches, which together made an easy perch for me to sit on. So when I was a kid, I would climb up on it and sit there almost all day. Watching people go by, saying hi to parents' colleagues (they would remember this for the longest of times. Some even nicknamed me chidiya - bird), and a few nurses in the adjoining hospital. My babysitter would come and give me breakfast and/or lunch right there. Sometimes we would eat the nimboli. Aah those days. Sigh.

(sorry to digress)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:05 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:I love fenugreek seeds in kadhi. Dhania not so much. I also love methidana in daal sometimes (or I dunk a lot of powder in my own bowl).You didn't do kadhi patta (neem leaves) seasoning?

The whole seeds didn't go well with the kadhi, esp dhania. They seemed hard while eating. Felt like kabab mei haddis. Didn't like them. Yeah, i did add curry leaves. kadhi patta=curry leaves=neem leaves?

Tracy Whitney wrote:
You didn't do kadhi patta (neem leaves) seasoning? My cook back home would refuse to make kadhi without that. So in the new house, I had to go to the neighbor's house and bring back some. Our old house use to have a neem tree. Meetha neem. So many memories of it. It had 2-3 branches, which together made an easy perch for me to sit on. So when I was a kid, I would climb up on it and sit there almost all day. Watching people go by, saying hi to parents' colleagues (they would remember this for the longest of times. Some even nicknamed me chidiya - bird), and a few nurses in the adjoining hospital. My babysitter would come and give me breakfast and/or lunch right there. Sometimes we would eat the nimboli. Aah those days. Sigh.

(sorry to digress)

Trace always has a story to tell on all occassions. We don't mind listening to them though Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:09 am

yes, kari patta = curry leaves = sweet neem. tw is a bit confused there. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:24 am

Oh. I didn't see curry leaves in the picture. I didn't check the recipe. I like methidana. They get a little soft upon boiling. And I love biting on them while eating. Dhania seeds, I can do without.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:30 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Oh. I didn't see curry leaves in the picture. I didn't check the recipe. I like methidana. They get a little soft upon boiling. And I love biting on them while eating. Dhania seeds, I can do without.

I used dry curry leaves. I crush them so we don't pick them out and throw away. Even if using fresh ones, i chop them fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:00 am

While Mamatadi was busy jailing professor unkils for forwarding her caricatures, I ushered in the Bengali (and Punjabi and Tamil and Malayali) New Year yesterday with a Bong feast consisting of:

Fish and mutton chops (with kasundi aka mustard sauce)

2 Luchis with sides of aloor dum and aloo poshto

Rice and dal with moccher ghanto (dry dish made of banana flowers) and echorer kalia (raw jackfruit in a rich kalia gravy)

Rice with chingri malai curry + kasho mangsho (dryish mutton curry) + shorshey rui bata

Dessert was chhana jalebi (a gulab jamun in the shape of a jalebi) and kheer kadam. I was too full to try the sandesh, payesh and rossogolla

All this washed down with a vodka laced aam panna.

PS: I literally staggered out of the restaurant and spent the rest of my Saturday in a food coma.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:09 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:You didn't do kadhi patta (neem leaves) seasoning?

Neem?? Really?? Tsk. Tsk.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:23 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

aam panna ko bhi nahi chhoda? usme bhi vodka. (missing aam panna)

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
PS: I literally staggered out of the restaurant and spent the rest of my Saturday in a food coma.

same situation here yesterday after an Indian buffet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

same situation here yesterday after an Indian buffet.

>>>>>We were running around yesterday till about 2:30 and as it happened were not far from one of the better indian buffets in the area. They told us they were open till 3 and when we get there with 10 minutes to spare, we were told they shut down the buffet at
3. Ended up going to Chipotle and had a burrito bowl and washed it down with some so-so beer (belgian something or the other). The rest of the family went off to get their hair cuts and I dozed off in the car. Went to a friend's party in the evening= more indian food, but withe merlot this time. I am still feeling out of sorts with all the intake.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Kris wrote:3. Ended up going to Chipotle and had a burrito bowl and washed it down with some so-so beer (belgian something or the other).

Wow. Brave fighting words, these. What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 459784477

Can't wait to see the (erudite and) withering counter-attack....
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Alright, I have to ask. What is aam panna?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 pm

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Alright, I have to ask. What is aam panna?

am sure someone will give you the SI version name of it. It's also called keri ka panna, or just panna. Popular drink in summer, specially in weddings. Great drink, but the only drawback is sugar, sometimes lots of it. So had to keep an eye on dad in weding receptions back home after he was diagnosed with diabetes.

http://www.tarladalal.com/Aam-ka-Panna-16394r

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:00 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:3. Ended up going to Chipotle and had a burrito bowl and washed it down with some so-so beer (belgian something or the other).

Wow. Brave fighting words, these. What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 459784477

Can't wait to see the (erudite and) withering counter-attack....

>>>What? Something un-PC ? It came recommended from the gal at the counter. It started with the word Belgian..Can't remember the rest of it. Vaguely reminded me of Anchor Steam, I think (from back when I drank more beer). Maybe it was a local microbrew with the misleading name. Will look it up next time I am there..The Burrito Bowl was probably one of the healthiest things I have eaten lately.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:07 am

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 81108
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:18 am

Yep, that's it. Didn't care for it too much.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:21 am

I am eating oil with curry and fish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:I am eating oil with curry and fish.

>>>I am about to take the usual granola bar, an apple and will pick up a starbucks can at the convenience store for the road.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 am

Kris wrote:

>>>I am about to take the usual granola bar, an apple and will pick up a starbucks can at the convenience store for the road.

Oprah says that just replacing this one with home made coffee can save you 100s of bucks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:50 am

763.20 a year.

I like to keep tabs on the money that I waste. Kinda like saving the phone numbers of the girls who dumped you ( I don't mean you 'you', but you get the picture)

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:36 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Kris wrote:

Oprah says that just replacing this one with home made coffee can save you 100s of bucks.

are you sure it is Oprah and not TAZ?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:50 am

Another Brick wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
Kris wrote:

are you sure it is Oprah and not TAZ?

TAZ agrees with Oprah. But he takes it one step further. Coffee beans are too expensive and are exploitative of poor farmers in third world countries. So he recommends making the kaapi using just chicory powder and jaggery. Same taste and rich in iron too.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:52 am

had mutton in peppery steak sauce today. (a bit of background: we had ordered pepper lamb steak from an italian joint last night. ganpath ram tasted it and said he could re-engineer it to make a mutton curry in that sauce.) this treat was for the older to help him crack his COMEDK exam in a few days. will work.

quick recipe: boil onions and make a paste of it; make a paste of tomatoes, ginger and garlic and fry it in refined oil in skillet. add boiled onions paste to it. add salt & mutton and fry. fry some chopped onions separately and add to cooker with the mutton. add soy, vinegar, and worcestershire sauce. pressure cook it. then cook on low flame. add more soy for colour and fresh whole pepper crushed. (no garam masala used)

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 Imag0113

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 am

Looks good, hk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 am

Yeah, looks good. But I don't like the idea of boiling onion, grinding it and then frying it with tomato, ginger garlic paste.

It would have been more flavorful to fry everything - onion, tomato, ginger garlic - and then grind it into a paste.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:56 am

you may be right MD. i'd tend to agree with you for i found it strange. but we left it to the judgement of ganpath ram -- after all he was the one re-engineering it. it didn't turn out bad. i had it with rotis while the wife preferred rice.

texas TW!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:07 am

To celebrate Parsi-South Indian synthesis, I had a lunch yesterday of curd-rice, french beans poriyal, lime pickle and lots of salli boti. While working through the succulent pieces of mutton, I realized that my scope for synthesis was not sufficiently global. Smacked of regionalism, I realized. So as a true global citizen, I completed that synthesis with a generous serving of the richest badam halwa (submerged under an inch of ghee) I've ever tried and the most delicious tiramisu I've had in a while (dont know why even good restaurants here don't know how to make a decent tiramisu). After that sublime meal, uplifted by all the synthesis I had achieved, I really wanted to lie down and meditate further on the joys of synthesis (and perhaps invent a new religion) but alas, my lofty Akbarian ambitions were dashed to the ground by the rude demands of having to earn a livelihood. So back to work it was.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:00 am

LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:53 am

While working through the succulent pieces of mutton, I realized that my scope for synthesis was not sufficiently global. Smacked of regionalism, I realized. So as a true global citizen, I completed that synthesis with a generous serving of the richest badam halwa (submerged under an inch of ghee) I've ever tried and the most delicious tiramisu I've had in a while

hahaha

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 am

idli-sambar. vengaya sambar (recipe). masala dosas. madam cooked it -- ganpath on short leave. this one was for the older to help him crack aieee. will work.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 2012-018

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 Imag0114

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:14 am

Nice. Dosa looks professional. Clearly, Mrs Kapasi is no mean cook herself.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 am

we are supposed to eat dosais on the sly. not take and post pics of it. uff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 am

wah, what prophetic words. i already got reprimanded by vee on chat this morning. he wanted nis to stop stealing sambar with immediate effect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:26 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:you may be right MD. i'd tend to agree with you
of course he is, and of course, you would. otherwise, you'd have an opinion of your own, and that's risky.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:idli-sambar. vengaya sambar (recipe). masala dosas. madam cooked it -- ganpath on short leave. this one was for the older to help him crack aieee. will work.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 2012-018

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 12 Imag0114

>>>>Ganpath should be getting nervous, if this is his competition. Smile The chutney has triggered a palovian in me. Need to swing by the local dosa joint this weekend

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:13 am

Kris wrote:Need to swing by the local dosa joint this weekend

here have an 'i'. return it when you're done with it. no hurry.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next