Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ensoying the trip so far.....

+7
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Jebediah Mburuburu
southindian
nevada
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
seven
FluteHolder
11 posters

Go down

Ensoying the trip so far..... Empty Ensoying the trip so far.....

Post by FluteHolder Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:43 pm

After spending few days in Hot chennai with dust/interesting traffic and drivers currently in this small town near Tanjore. Visiting old temples when they are not crowded. Trying to learn the stick shift and having fresh nungu (tender palm ), mangoes, tender cucumber, jack fruit, fresh and different varieties of greens, banana stem, banana flower, etc on demand:). The trouble so far is my son asking for french fries from in-and-out and I am trying to make it at home... So far he is okay but still want to go back to 'his' home.

Wireless broadband is not bad from bsnl and it is enough for my work currently...

Hope all are doing fine with their regular/interesting posts/NI/SI issues etc.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Ensoying the trip so far..... Empty Re: Ensoying the trip so far.....

Post by seven Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:53 pm

sounds awesome, FH!

haffun :-)

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:14 pm

FluteHolder wrote:After spending few days in Hot chennai with dust/interesting traffic and drivers currently in this small town near Tanjore. Visiting old temples when they are not crowded. Trying to learn the stick shift and having fresh nungu (tender palm ), mangoes, tender cucumber, jack fruit, fresh and different varieties of greens, banana stem, banana flower, etc on demand:). The trouble so far is my son asking for french fries from in-and-out and I am trying to make it at home... So far he is okay but still want to go back to 'his' home.

Wireless broadband is not bad from bsnl and it is enough for my work currently...

did you eat in the latest Restaurant chain "Iyengars"? Heard it is pretty good and affordable.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:After spending few days in Hot chennai with dust/interesting traffic and drivers currently in this small town near Tanjore. Visiting old temples when they are not crowded. Trying to learn the stick shift and having fresh nungu (tender palm ), mangoes, tender cucumber, jack fruit, fresh and different varieties of greens, banana stem, banana flower, etc on demand:). The trouble so far is my son asking for french fries from in-and-out and I am trying to make it at home... So far he is okay but still want to go back to 'his' home.

did you eat in the latest Restaurant chain "Iyengars"? Heard it is pretty good and affordable.

Also, if there is a TN Govt subsidized idli kadai where you live, please try it out and report back to us.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:01 pm

nevada wrote:

Also, if there is a TN Govt subsidized idli kadai where you live, please try it out and report back to us.

== The new Iyengar Chain.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes and as usual, SouthIndians are beating the crap out of NorthIndians and JM is keeping the score of the leading margin.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:57 am

Nice to see the  synthesis alive and well:) My ensoyment  went down like Apple stock... and currently on recovery mode.... (will spare the details).

Learnt stick shift in few hours and was able to drive to nearby cities. Last/this weekend visited Madurai (hired a driver since I donot know this town) and was hit by a police vehicle and the police jeep just went away as nothing happened. Small dent in rear bumper of my vehicle.

Met few relatives after a gap of 15-20 years..  Interesting to see/observe the lives of people who are resigned and accepted to various aspects of life here..

Later...

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:15 am

FluteHolder wrote:Nice to see the  synthesis alive and well:) My ensoyment  went down like Apple stock... and currently on recovery mode.... (will spare the details).

Learnt stick shift in few hours and was able to drive to nearby cities. Last/this weekend visited Madurai (hired a driver since I donot know this town) and was hit by a police vehicle and the police jeep just went away as nothing happened. Small dent in rear bumper of my vehicle.

Met few relatives after a gap of 15-20 years..  Interesting to see/observe the lives of people who are resigned and accepted to various aspects of life here..

Later...
why do you say "ensoying" and not "enjoying?" because "ensoying" is witty? does uppili think so? he says "kombolete" for "complete" once every three days, and expects to be admired for his wit.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

GPS is really helpful while driving in India. Was able to reach Coimbatore from Tanjore wiithout asking anyone for directions (except once). There is a few seconds delay in GPS navigation and sometimes I  miss or go ahead before the intersections and had to return back. Any tips on on avoiding this or it is the delay which cannot be avoided.
After few days might drive via interior Karnataka to Banagalore. Hope GPS helps here too..

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Jebediah Mburuburu wrote:
why do you say "ensoying" and not "enjoying?" because "ensoying" is witty? does uppili think so? he says "kombolete" for "complete" once every three days, and expects to be admired for his wit.

Shows how simplistic and assumptious you are becoming since your new love affair with the Maulana Rashmunullah...

I have komboletely explained my rationale several times....and as usual, you dont read everything and depend on extrapolation. Of course, no amount of explanation goes into that head - not that it not unusual for someone who is 70-

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Just few more days to end my work cum vacation travel..

It has been an very interesting and enlightening experience for me as I was able to meet some friends/relatives after a long gap, few of them after decades.

Drove stick shift for almost 2 months now and I drove around southern districts of TN besides Chennai. Visited old temple towns where I grew up decades ago and visited my old residences.

It has been a very educating experience since I could live/stay with various families/friends..

More soon.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Interesting!
Keep posting.
Thanks.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:06 pm

"Drove stick shift for almost 2 months now and I drove around southern districts of TN besides Chennai. Visited old temple towns where I grew up decades ago and visited my old residences. " FH

>>> Good for you. It's nice to "see" someone finally who likes and admires the stick shift so much (all your posts on this thread mentioned the stick shift, I think).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:41 pm

I am not enjoying driving the stick shift, but I have no other choice at the moment. It may be good to have the control thru stick, but it is pain in the foot for constant pressing of clutch and the fun of driving is lost.

Will try to post some pics of old temples I visited. IS there any easy upload of pics?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:24 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:"Drove stick shift for almost 2 months now and I drove around southern districts of TN besides Chennai. Visited old temple towns where I grew up decades ago and visited my old residences. "  FH

>>> Good for you. It's nice to "see" someone finally who likes and admires the stick shift so much (all your posts on this thread mentioned the stick shift, I think).
sevaji, why this love for stick shifts? surely under normal driving condition, manual is much more comfortable to drive?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:28 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:"Drove stick shift for almost 2 months now and I drove around southern districts of TN besides Chennai. Visited old temple towns where I grew up decades ago and visited my old residences. "  FH

sevaji, why this love for stick shifts? surely under normal driving condition, manual auto is much more comfortable to drive?
I suspect this is a spillover from one of many arguments at home, where Sevaji has been staunchly defending his weather-beaten stick-shift against demands from da family for a new car with auto.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:41 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

sevaji, why this love for stick shifts? surely under normal driving condition, manual auto is much more comfortable to drive?
I suspect this is a spillover from one of many arguments at home, where Sevaji has been staunchly defending his weather-beaten stick-shift against demands from da family for a new car with auto.
ah yes. i meant driving auto is more comfortable under normal driving conditions.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:40 am

FluteHolder wrote:I am not enjoying driving the stick shift, but I have no other choice at the moment. It may be good to have the control thru stick, but it is pain in the foot for constant pressing of clutch and the fun of driving is lost.

Will try to post some pics of old temples I visited. IS there any easy upload of pics?
The problem seems to be with your foot and you need to get it checked by a foot doctor. When the condition of your foot improves, the pressing of clutch by foot won't bother you. Then you will enjoy driving the stick shift even more than the auto. drive.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:59 am

i drove manual transmission cars for many years and enjoyed it. but it gets old in stop and go traffic. i don't miss it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i drove manual transmission cars for many years and enjoyed it. but it gets old in stop and go traffic. i don't miss it.
I miss the old Crank-starts.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:15 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i drove manual transmission cars for many years and enjoyed it. but it gets old in stop and go traffic. i don't miss it.
do you also miss the horse and buggy, rotary phones, and flash cards?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:49 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
i meant punch cards.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:17 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
i meant punch cards.
Yes I do miss rotary phones and punch cards. Never used flash cards though. Those are mostly for girls. I was in a class just a few years ago with 90% girls. They all used flash cards all the time and we guys used to laugh at them.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 am

Manual transmission isn't that bad or getting old (whatever that means) in stop and go traffic. I even personally taught driving on the manual trans. cars in Canada (Toronto and Montreal ... known for very heavy traffic) to my wife (a newcomer to Canada from India and knowing nothing about driving before) and both my kids (born in Canada). Moreover, they even had their driving tests done on cars using stick shift and passed the tests quite well, while even impressing the test examiners for learning driving on the manual transmission car and ussing the stick shift druring driving test.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down