Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Midnight in Paris

4 posters

Go down

Midnight in Paris Empty Midnight in Paris

Post by charvaka Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Watched this movie last weekend. It is one more movie of the kind that Woody Allen started making after he himself has stopped acting. There is less neurotic guy whining about his little problems, and more fleshed out characters with smart lines. If you've seen Vicki Cristina Barcelona, you know the genre. The movie is about imagining a golden age in the past and wanting to live in that golden age. For the protagonist -- played by Owen Wilson -- that golden age is Paris in the 1920s, when any American with pretensions of artsiness needed to spend time in Paris. Our "hero" finds a way to be transported to that Paris, and meets Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Pablo Picasso, Gertrude Stein, Salvador Dali, etc. By day he is a writer hanging around his bitchy fiancee, and by night he is fully networked into the American artist scene of Paris in the '20s. Marion Cotillard looks fabulous as a '20s woman who wants to go back to her own golden age from a generation before.

Overall, the movie is nice, with some fabulous night-time footage of the city that is as much a character as it is a setting for the movie. We saw it in an old local theater, and the average age of the audience was probably 60. (We were the only couple south of 40, I thought.) The audience enjoyed the movie a lot, with lots of clapping and chuckling.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Midnight in Paris Empty Re: Midnight in Paris

Post by Mosquito Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:42 pm

I plan to watch it. Didnt get a chance yet.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:46 pm

the word fabulous is not used 'round these parts unless you rabidly support prop8, mister. ya hear?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Sounds like a movie worth seeing. I was reminded of a gal who worked with me who was spooked out by a date who wanted to pretend they were part of the lost generation. This thing stuck to my memory because Santa Barbara was supposed to stand in for paris. The dude was cheap on top of being weird. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down