Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question for English mavens

2 posters

Go down

A question for English mavens Empty A question for English mavens

Post by Rishi Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:03 pm

What is wrong with the following sentence? (No googling please)

This year, yours truly was asked to deliver the Derek Walcott Lecture and read from my poetry, perhaps the biggest gig of my professional life so far, and for a good long while until it actually transpired, it felt like a dream.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

A question for English mavens Empty Re: A question for English mavens

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Rishi wrote:What is wrong with the following sentence? (No googling please)

This year, yours truly was asked to deliver the Derek Walcott Lecture and read from my poetry, perhaps the biggest gig of my professional life so far, and for a good long while until it actually transpired, it felt like a dream.

"yours truly" is third person and shouldn't be combined with "my" which is first person. just replace "yours truly" with "i" and all will be well.

i don't consider myself an english maven. i have studied very little formal grammar. what i wrote is what feels unnatural about the original sentence.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

"yours truly" is third person and shouldn't be combined with "my" which is first person. just replace "yours truly" with "i" and all will be well.

i don't consider myself an english maven. i have studied very little formal grammar. what i wrote is what feels unnatural about the original sentence.

Read the comment in the article http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?286447

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Read the comment in the article http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?286447

what i pointed out imo is more serious.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down